PDA

View Full Version : sc14 Questions

MARKE70
24th March 2008, 10:50 AM
Hey guys,

Well in the not to distant future I'm going to do a W box conversion to complete the driveline and then go after some more power but mainly torque.

I want it to be reliable, responsive and torquey. Basically i absolutely love the standard GZE power curve i don't want to change the way the power comes on or where it comes on but i just want a bit more.

I will be going aftermarket ECU, so my options with SC is pulley kit on sc12 and risk unreliability with the smaller charger (lookin at 12-13 psi or thereabouts) or going to a sc14 which will apparently be fine at that psi.

So get to the point you dick, my real Q's are.

does a pulley kit on the sc12 make it come on later??

will a sc14 come on later??

Given what i've said above which will keep the power curve closest to stock?

Dunno if thats worded correctly or if it even asks what i want but yeah throw me your opinions please

Thanks heaps..... Mark

rthy
24th March 2008, 11:44 AM
S14 isnt interchangeable because its longer and hits the aluminium manifold. A pulley kit on what you have now wont make it come on later, infact in theory it will come on sooner. What intercooling are you using?

egg_83
24th March 2008, 11:57 AM
A pulley kit will produce be fairly similar power curve to stock . A sc12 would become unreliable at 14psi

A sc14 would be more reliable at 12-14psi and then less time off the road later on if you stick with a sc12 and blow it

Sam iv seen a 86 with sc14 gze
Here is a write up:
http://www.members.westnet.com.au/adsport/sc14fit/

Gilly
24th March 2008, 12:06 PM
Mark, Ando (asleepatthewheel) has a SC14 on his ZE, hit him up for details

orange32
24th March 2008, 12:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Mar 24 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506695)</div>
S14 isnt interchangeable because its longer and hits the aluminium manifold. A pulley kit on what you have now wont make it come on later, infact in theory it will come on sooner. What intercooling are you using?[/b]

I'm pretty sure its a VR4 intercooler, or a similair size anyway

slide86
24th March 2008, 12:53 PM
just what i want to do with my car.....

bring on the info :)

johl
24th March 2008, 01:05 PM
bang for buck mark go the pulley kit. bolt on and costs less than $300. i just googled 4agze pulley kit and heaps came up.
what i'd like to know is where abouts is the engine going to fail at 13.5-14psi, as in what parts will be at their limits?
u can also get smaller pulley kits that up the boost to around 11psi

Hen is a total nutcase
24th March 2008, 01:08 PM
Flog the SC12. I've never seen one fail first hand due to overspinning or running too hot. And even if you do, spend another $200 to replace it.

Fitting an SC14 is a good idea, but a fair bit more dicking around.

Either way you'll still have stacks of torque throughout the range.

rthy
24th March 2008, 01:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (egg_83 @ Mar 24 2008, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506703)</div>
A pulley kit will produce be fairly similar power curve to stock . A sc12 would become unreliable at 14psi

A sc14 would be more reliable at 12-14psi and then less time off the road later on if you stick with a sc12 and blow it

Sam iv seen a 86 with sc14 gze
Here is a write up:
http://www.members.westnet.com.au/adsport/sc14fit/[/b]

I stand corrected

good writeup BTW

fixeruperer
24th March 2008, 01:50 PM
ive bugger 4-5 sc12's on my ae82, i had 180mm crank pulley. and thrashed the shit out of it everday.
you have to modify the bottom bracket to move the s/c away from the manifold then you need to cut 2 or 3 new ribbs in the sc pulley but i didnt finish it becuase the sc pulley was close too my strut tower (being fwd).
i could of made it work but it was eaier to buy another sc12 and go bak to thrashing.

riojin
24th March 2008, 05:58 PM
i have a NEVO 15psi pully kit on my gze and it is perfect. reliable as hell. ill just have to rebuild sooner

johl
24th March 2008, 06:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ Mar 24 2008, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506906)</div>
i have a NEVO 15psi pully kit on my gze and it is perfect. reliable as hell. ill just have to rebuild sooner[/b]

was it just bolt on? no other mods? did u upgrade anythin engine wise? was it worth it? price etc? how much more power do u think u gained? also what failed to rebuild it?

Nikkojoe
24th March 2008, 06:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fixeruperer @ Mar 24 2008, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506780)</div>
ive bugger 4-5 sc12's on my ae82, i had 180mm crank pulley. and thrashed the shit out of it everday.
you have to modify the bottom bracket to move the s/c away from the manifold then you need to cut 2 or 3 new ribbs in the sc pulley but i didnt finish it becuase the sc pulley was close too my strut tower (being fwd).
i could of made it work but it was eaier to buy another sc12 and go bak to thrashing.[/b]

lol, yeah this gze seems to munch the chargers (though the afm one you put on there is still going hahaha - intercooler is way too big). Problem with the sc12 is the amount of air it can deliver with a larger crank pulley sucks. It just starts pumping out hot air and not more air at 14psi.

MARKE70
24th March 2008, 06:48 PM
ah ok, thanks heaps for everyones help so far,

it is a Galant VR4 intercooler yes,

i would like to keep it bolt on and cheap and easy but I'm not sure if that will improve power enough whilst remaining reliable.

so how much extra power would a, say 12psi pulley give me with the sc12??? Ill prob be using an adaptronic too.

And is putting a sc14 on like doing a bigger turbo on a datsun as in will it come on boost later???

and Johl i have seen a GZE in like a cortina i think or something random in a Zoom mag with 300rwkw on standard internals, it had a fuck off big turbo so i think a stock GZE should be ok with 14psi. - people please varify this???

cheers heaps guys and keep the info rollin!!!

riojin
24th March 2008, 06:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johl @ Mar 24 2008, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506916)</div>
was it just bolt on? no other mods? did u upgrade anythin engine wise? was it worth it? price etc? how much more power do u think u gained? also what failed to rebuild it?[/b]

modded abv, fmic, soon will be adding stock 4age throttle body. bolted on and balanced. they cost about $300-500 depending on where you get them from. i wouldn't have gained much more power, maybe 10rwkw but the torque difference is definately the difference to be noticed.

nothing has failed yet and it hasnt been rebuilt yet. still going strong. more psi=more strain on the motor=sooner rebuild

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nikkojoe @ Mar 24 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506921)</div>
lol, yeah this gze seems to munch the chargers (though the afm one you put on there is still going hahaha - intercooler is way too big). Problem with the sc12 is the amount of air it can deliver with a larger crank pulley sucks. It just starts pumping out hot air and not more air at 14psi.[/b]

with a fmic you lose 1-2psi depending on the size of the fmic. i only lose 1psi because i have a small one. so i get 14psi with the pully kit, the max theorecitally allowed through a sc12

slide86
24th March 2008, 07:38 PM
well i havent started my car yet, but I'm running an lt10s, 175mm pully, jza70 cooler, 3sge throttle body, 7mgte injectors. engine rebuilt and balanced

I'm hoping for 14psi and bout 110 - 120rwkw (???)

johl
24th March 2008, 08:43 PM
^^^ how much torque u aiming for?

Tyrie
24th March 2008, 09:00 PM
I put a NST 180mm pulley on my GZE, it was still fkn slow so I went turbo.

slide86
24th March 2008, 09:29 PM
well my mates ae92 with standard ecu, injectors makes something like 305nm or something like that.

i know its more than a 5lt v8, i looked it up at work.

what do you think i should get?

Nikkojoe
24th March 2008, 10:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ Mar 24 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506940)</div>
with a fmic you lose 1-2psi depending on the size of the fmic. i only lose 1psi because i have a small one. so i get 14psi with the pully kit, the max theorecitally allowed through a sc12[/b]

I know this and id say I'm loosing 2psi from the cooler (its overkill - currently get about .75-.85bar depending on the night with an afm gze with the a 175mm custom pulley and that front mount). That said though, the SC12 can't pump out enough air for how my motor is set up. Sure its giving X bar, but the volume of air it can supply is pathetic :P If i was sticking with the charger I would be looking for an sc14 and a slightly smaller cooler.

biggo
24th March 2008, 11:27 PM
imo its not really worth it, as realisticly if you go sc14 youd whack a bigport pelum on at the same time.

howabout some cams for top end and the throttle body upgrade? Or twin TB's? Having driven my gze around it rally really needs some top end, compareded to my 20v that is :P

MARKE70
20th April 2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your help!

I am deciding to just do a pulley kit and stick with sc12 for now. If that is not enough i will go sc14 and bigport plenum etc later on.

So i've been doing some lookin around and have read bad things about aftermarket crank pulleys damaging bearings and even bending a crank cos they don't have the rubber centre like standard ones so to avoid this problem i want to change the Supercharger pulley only, not the crank pulley.

So to get 13psi what size supercharger pulley do i need?

And it seems i have the choice between clutched or fixed pulleys,

What is the deal with the clutches? advantages/disadvantages, i don't understand their purpose etc.

thanks again for all your help!

japlish
20th April 2008, 09:54 PM
i think you need around a 95mm pulley onthe sc12 to make 13psi?....
running a clutchless setup only means your sc will be running all the time but thats not really guna hurt it, it only switchs off below 1400rpm i think?

Nikkojoe
20th April 2008, 11:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (japlish @ Apr 20 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=520608)</div>
i think you need around a 95mm pulley onthe sc12 to make 13psi?....
running a clutchless setup only means your sc will be running all the time but thats not really guna hurt it, it only switchs off below 1400rpm i think?[/b]

When the clutch engages is dependent upon engine load/throttle load(determined by ecu which give output to charger relay) so you could be at 6000rpm and the charger may still be off.

Having the charger spinning constantly will make it get hot and shorten the life of the charger.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
So i've been doing some lookin around and have read bad things about aftermarket crank pulleys damaging bearings and even bending a crank cos they don't have the rubber centre like standard ones so to avoid this problem i want to change the Supercharger pulley only, not the crank pulley.[/b]

You don't have to get a solid nevo crank pulley. My pulley is custom made based off a standard pulley so it still has the harmonic core. There are also proper larger crank pulleys on the market that have a proper core therefore they wont destroy the crank.

slide86
21st April 2008, 01:49 AM
i also have the same setup.

i got the standard pulley remade to 195mm

johl
21st April 2008, 12:39 PM
^^^where and how much

MARKE70
21st April 2008, 07:56 PM
mmmmm i might do this myself actually in which case Johlie ill do one for you too.

Did you just machine down the stock pulley and shrink fit a ring to the correct diameter???

Nikkojoe
21st April 2008, 08:26 PM
Mine was done like that, then grub screws put in to ensure it doesnt come loose/spin. It was also balanced too :)

MARKE70
22nd April 2008, 10:15 PM
mmm i was thinking of keywaying it but grub screws would be fine, and ill be balancing it. I think i might check the balanceness of it before machining it, then fit the ring bla bla and at the end rebalance it to how it was.

The idea of the rubber centre is so it can be out slightly but not do damage isn't it???

biggo
22nd April 2008, 11:40 PM
no its for NVH (noise vibration harshness)

you don't want your crank to rattle the flywheel bolts of do you?

Sprinterboy
25th April 2008, 04:23 AM
I've got an SC14 on the side of my motor, and If I had to do it all again, I would, but i'd use a twin screw. It's always and option further down the track for me I guess....

It's much cheaper and easier to pulley an SC12 and do the TB conversion. Steve (toysprinta) did it to his when he still had it charged and had good results.

If you still have any Q's just shoot me a PM

J