PDA

View Full Version : 4agze > MA71 W5x gearbox > ae86 Diff - How?

XaeRob
25th March 2008, 07:16 PM
Hi,
I am awaiting delivery of my 4agze engine to drop in my AE86. I am doing a gearbox conversion, a w5x gearbox from a MA71, that is no problem, as I already have bellhousing converter, so should bolt on fine.

I am wondering though, how do I connect this gearbox to my AE86 diff?

I have the supra and ae86 prop shaft, is there a bolt in solution here? The only thing I've been told is to cut the prop shaft and splice them together, which seems a bit extreme and unreliable to me, is there another way? how have others done it?

driftism
25th March 2008, 08:16 PM
that is pretty much the only thing you can do, and if you pay someone to do it that knows what they are doing (driveshaft joint) then it should be just as reliable as a factory unit, as they will balance it etc...

Driftspec
25th March 2008, 10:49 PM
Or make one up from scratch. Keep in mind if you start breaking diffs with the extra torque and decide to upgrade the diff, you'll need to get the tailshaft modded again to fit. I'd do the diff straight up with the gearbox as well. If you're in Sydney, use Sydney Driveline Service in Greenacre. Top quality work.

Eddie.

XaeRob
26th March 2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks for replies, was the answer I didn't want to hear but I guess I'll have to do it that way then.

No plans to uprate the diff, I'm hoping it will cope ok with the added torque.

I'm not in Sydney I'm afraid :(

XaeRob
26th March 2008, 02:37 AM
Another question, while I'm here: What actually will need doing to the prop shafts?, I obviously need the supra half for gearbox, and ae86 half for diff, but where should the cut be made, and does it need to be shortened or anything as ae86 is not as long as a supra?

Gunner
26th March 2008, 06:59 AM
what u will find most shops will do, is take the shafts u already have, on an exchange basis, this is done so they can take the uni joints and reco them.

anyway, they will get a new(reco)yoke and uni from the supra side of the shaft, make a one piece shaft that is ended with uni and flange to suit the sprinter diff, very easy, and will only cost about $400-$500 on average. some shops, will modify the standard tailshaft to suit, but alot of shops frown upon this, and will fabricate a whole new shaft.

slydar
26th March 2008, 08:46 AM
you should put your area in your profile, or at least left it in your reply, so people can make relevant suggestions as to where to get your tail shaft made.

this is how everyone, with every type of car with an engine or gearbox or diff conversion has it done, its nothing to be afraid of.

something to not is that in alot of cases, you will get away with the same tailshaft with S, T or E series diffs as they all have the same pcd on the drive flange and only vary about 20mm length in total.

Hen is a total nutcase
26th March 2008, 11:54 AM
I've also heard that an RA40 front section and AE86 rear section of tailshaft will suit a W5* box installation.

May be worth checking for cheap. Or get a custom one as advised above.

Hen

Sparkle86
26th March 2008, 12:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hen is a total nutcase @ Mar 26 2008, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=507901)</div>
I've also heard that an RA40 front section and AE86 rear section of tailshaft will suit a W5* box installation.

May be worth checking for cheap. Or get a custom one as advised above.

Hen[/b]

Correct. This is what I did in my old car. I have heard people saying that it needs modification, but it just lined up and bolted in when I did it.

biggo
26th March 2008, 12:32 PM
th center bearing cover is to small in witdth to bolt it in. Its the wrong angle as well.

having said that, i used an ra60/65 front part, slightly modded a few things and it seems to work

XaeRob
26th March 2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks for replies guys,

I'm actually in the UK, just asking across forums for ideas, seems a machine shop with a new prop is the only and best way to go :)