PDA

View Full Version : asbestos in adm drum brakes

samuek
28th March 2008, 01:15 AM
what are the chances of asbestos still being in adm ae86 drum brakes ? I'm paranoid lol

MountainRunner
28th March 2008, 02:02 AM
When i was looking at a ae71 at tafe rear drum shoes said no asbestos used so us sould be fine plus u have 2 be around it for a very long period of time is what ive herd

federal
28th March 2008, 03:19 AM
don't be such a girl :P

i doubt there would be any anyway.....

GAKI86
28th March 2008, 04:30 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos

AsleepAtTheWheel
28th March 2008, 08:31 AM
If you're super worried, go and grab some dust masks from Bunnings or the like.

If the shoes are old, they may have asbestos in them, and some asbestos residue might still be around in the drums, but unless you eat them, you've got nothing to worry about :D

parrot
28th March 2008, 11:27 AM
<!--quoteo(post=509060:date=Mar 28 2008, 02:02 AM:name=ѕніс
)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ѕніс
@ Mar 28 2008, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=509060)</div>
When i was looking at a ae71 at tafe rear drum shoes said no asbestos used so us sould be fine plus u have 2 be around it for a very long period of time is what ive herd[/b]

Theoretically ANY exposure to free asbestos is potentially harmful, the fibres are microscopic and most dangerous when inhaled. Thus removing a drum and blowing out old asbestos fibres is bad OK. I'm older than most of you and have done this in the past, before you were born :pinch:

BUT, asbestos has been banned for years so very unlikely your shoes contain them.

Of course, risk is relative and many people have exposed themselves over the years without showing evidence of asbestos related lung damage - YET! It is possible there will be an escalation of cases over the next 10 - 20 years as exposure in previous years starts to result in disease.

Asbestos is safe if sealed, i.e. unbroken panels which have been painted, left in the ground etc.

I have seen the results of asbestos lung damage a number of times, and you don't want to unnecessarily expose yourself.

driftke70
28th March 2008, 11:35 AM
i fit do alot of brakes, about 5-6 pads swaps daily, about 5 rotor machines and or replacement, just don't unsettle the dust, if there is lots of it use a LOW pressure tap to rinse it off and make it damp. The dust fibres even if not asbestos are still rather bad.

shakes
28th March 2008, 12:38 PM
I come across it at work every now and again. all the pro's do in removal is hose everything down and keep it wet. if ya really paranoid just keep everything damp.

yes it's dangerous even in low amount's, I'm sure you inhale just as dangerous amount's of toxin's walking around the city. or the oil compounds that are ingested through your skin when servicing, maybe even that second hand cigerette smoke you breathed in while waiting to cross the road.

driftke70
28th March 2008, 01:38 PM
most toxins can be purged during your lungs cycle which effectively happens every 3 weeks, asbestos "clings" into your lungs with very fine shards and lives there for a long time.

MountainRunner
28th March 2008, 02:52 PM
I can tell you 'professionally' that you should completely avoid any contact with asbestos, unless wearing appropriate equipment.

samuek
28th March 2008, 02:54 PM
i see, thanks for the info

skin
29th March 2008, 09:59 AM
I'm am plumber, we do a lot of bathroom renovations, other day we were stipping out this old room, didnt realise it was asbestos sheeting untill i had ripped the whole room out, no dust mask. I broke it all up with a hammer in a small room.

Anyone else know how they are going to die??