PDA

View Full Version : Removing steering arms help??

RussianMafia000
29th March 2008, 01:14 PM
This is probably a stupid question but how exactly do I remove the steering arm from the ke70 LCA so I can put on my ae86 ones?
I don't want to break the thread by bashing it and it seems stuck on there pretty good..?

gumbie
29th March 2008, 01:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-=GOODY=- @ Mar 29 2008, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=509722)</div>
This is probably a stupid question but how exactly do I remove the steering arm from the ke70 LCA so I can put on my ae86 ones?
I don't want to break the thread by bashing it and it seems stuck on there pretty good..?[/b]

Just bash the steering arm the ball joint will come loose eventually. don't forget to put a nut on the end of the thread to protect it.

Konakid
29th March 2008, 01:35 PM
Smack it from the side with a normal hammer. hit it on the edge of the steering arm closest to the thread. It will be a bitch to get off.

RussianMafia000
29th March 2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys I went back down and had another go with the nut on and after a bit of bashing it came off :)

ae71
29th March 2008, 03:24 PM
another way thats much less effort is to use a puller. put it on tighten it up, give it a hit, tighten and keep going until it comes off.

Vezza
31st March 2008, 10:52 AM
Puller is definitely the way to go, especially with stubborn ones. Sometimes a good bashing on the side of the arm will shake it loose... but sometimes you will slip and screw the thread.... or spend hours bashing at it, lol.

RussianMafia000
31st March 2008, 04:02 PM
All good got them off without too much trouble, now I've found out that the springs that went in are making some crazy clunking sounds because their diamter is too small for the struts I'm guessing..?
I was hoping they would be fine but doesn't look like it..

Bobomacho
31st March 2008, 05:57 PM
we don't know what work you have done to your suspension to make it clunk, i suspect your shocker retaining nut is not tight enough or perhaps you needed some spacers in there

Benno
31st March 2008, 07:26 PM
ae86 front spring have a tighter top winding on them, xE7x run a uniform spring