PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt change on 4ac

dreny
1st April 2008, 10:13 AM
I am going to be changing my timing belt on my 4ac for the first time but i need some advice to removing the crankshaft pulley. I was going to make my own tool to stop the pulley from rotating when loosening/tightening the bolt but are there other methods that people have used. Can you put the car into gear to stop the pulley from rotating and loosen/tighten the bolt? To remove the pulley from the shaft do you also require the appropriate tool or can you simply pull it off. Any help would be appreciated. Are there any other tricky bits to the changing of a timing belt that i should know about? Thanks.

maxhag
1st April 2008, 10:50 AM
Dude, you don't need to remove the camshaft pulley. Just loosen the tensioner....

I think you better read this...... It's an easy guide (with pics) on how to do the job.....

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/09008...irInfoPages.htm (http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/18/d5/a1/0900823d8018d5a1/repairInfoPages.htm)

J Riftin

dreny
1st April 2008, 12:18 PM
Sorry, but i need to remove the crankshaft pulley not the camshaft pulley (i have edited my post). The removal of the crankshaft pulley (The big mother f*&k'n pulley at the bottom of the motor) is required to remove the bottom timing belt cover, inorder to remove the timing belt. How have people removed the crankshaft pulley?

rthy
1st April 2008, 06:25 PM
rattle-gun

SLO-030
1st April 2008, 07:50 PM
You can use a breaker bar and rest it on the chassis rail and use the starter motor too. A small flick on the key should do it.

4AC's are known for rusting the crank pulley on. So it could just pull off or you could be getting the oxy out (bad way i know but its a 4ac lol)...

Bobomacho
2nd April 2008, 09:00 AM
you are talking about the harmonic balancer and crank bolt?

1. get a breaker bar and socket and rest the breaker bar on CONCRETE of the RIGHT side of the engine if you give it a small kick with the starter the rotational force should loosen the bolt.
2. rattle gun is best as it avoids twisting the crankshaft
3. if you have two people you could use a lever bar on the flywheel against the bellhouseing to hold the crank and the other to undo it.
4. if your clutch is good enough, you could put it into gear and have someone put thier foot hard on the brakes which is just as effective as holding the flywheel if done properly.

the harmonic balancer can be a bitch to get off,
two lever bars on either side of the balancer and edge it off if its not mega stuckfast... be careful of the timing case cover..

use a balancer puller is the easiest and safest way to get it off

let us all know how you go

maxhag
3rd April 2008, 02:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dreny @ Apr 1 2008, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=511153)</div>
Sorry, but i need to remove the crankshaft pulley not the camshaft pulley (i have edited my post). The removal of the crankshaft pulley (The big mother f*&k'n pulley at the bottom of the motor) is required to remove the bottom timing belt cover, inorder to remove the timing belt. How have people removed the crankshaft pulley?[/b]

You don't need to remove any pulley's to change your timing belt. Just loosen the tensioner and slip the belt off!

I did it just 2 months ago!