PDA

View Full Version : WTB 3sgte RWD conversion parts

20valve69corona
7th April 2008, 06:27 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking for all the parts needed to convert a 3sgte Gen 3 ST205 GT4 engine to RWD. I already have the bellhousing and engine.

Located in Sydney. Willing to pay for post.

Thanks in advance for the help

Cheers

Will

20valve69corona
8th April 2008, 08:05 AM
Bump :(

slydar
8th April 2008, 08:43 AM
youre going to have to make, or have made, most of them the parts you need. and what they end up looking like is going to depend on what car you put them in.

also to you need to let people know which version of engine you have, as they run all different sumps, exhausts and intakes ect.

for flywheel, you want to get yourself an altezza one.

www.greenline.jp

or also there is an ebay store now (japanese, ships to au) that has them quite cheaply if you search altezza itll come up.

that will get the motor bolted to the transmission, and in to the car, from there the rest is basically custom.

20valve69corona
8th April 2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks again for the helpful advice Slydar. I will find out what version of the engine it is.

cheers

Will

20valve69corona
8th April 2008, 02:12 PM
ok, so i have been told that the engine is a Gen 3 ST205 GT4 engine. Its going into a 69 RT40 toyota corona.

werm
21st April 2008, 03:53 PM
pls mind my sillyness.. but..
if its the 4wd tranny.. can't u weld up the diff and disengage the front drives... that'll leave the rears only ??
just wondering.... :offtopic:

hachirusto
21st April 2008, 10:35 PM
no you don't use the 4wd transmission , you us a another bellhosing, from memory a 2s one onf 3sge and mate it up with a rwd gear box

Javal
21st April 2008, 10:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (werm @ Apr 21 2008, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=520892)</div>
pls mind my sillyness.. but..
if its the 4wd tranny.. can't u weld up the diff and disengage the front drives... that'll leave the rears only ??
just wondering.... :offtopic:[/b]

no

The motor is mounted in-line, not transversely. The AWD gearbox is binned. you use a traditional RWD style layout and gearbox.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hachirusto @ Apr 21 2008, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=521079)</div>
no you don't use the 4wd transmission , you us a another bellhosing, from memory a 2s one onf 3sge and mate it up with a rwd gear box[/b]

and no.

you use a 3Y bellhousing (requires only minor modification to fit) or one from Dellow / Niteparts.

If you use the 2S bellhousing you can only use the crappy borg warner box. The 3Y /Dellow/Niteparts bellhousing allows you to use a W5x gearbox.

That said, i suppose you could fill / drill and then space out / shorten the 2S bellhousing to accept a W5x box.

werm
23rd April 2008, 01:29 AM
i was only thinking this becos something like that was done on a gc8 used in one of the best motoring Hotversions. i think it was for the project D or something and in fact they came up with conversion kit to replace the welding. not too sure of the specifics..

thanks for the clarification javal :2thumbs:

Javal
23rd April 2008, 01:42 AM
No problems buddy.

The reason why they would have fiddled with the GC8 gearbox instead of binning it, is that it is once again a different layout.

The motor and gearbox lay in-line, with driveshafts poking out either side.... to put it very simply.

werm
24th April 2008, 12:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Javal @ Apr 23 2008, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=521716)</div>
No problems buddy.

The reason why they would have fiddled with the GC8 gearbox instead of binning it, is that it is once again a different layout.

The motor and gearbox lay in-line, with driveshafts poking out either side.... to put it very simply.[/b]

stood
UNDER

terryo
24th April 2008, 06:49 AM
I have worked on heaps of these engines and such conversions.....
The Gen 3 block does not have the mounting lugs on the side for easy conversion to rear drive. you will have to custom make-mounts as the old SA63 ones won't bolt on.
The 2 piece sump of the gen 3 will cause you grief and you really need to swap for the Altessa sump. Still available new, but at vast cost. The alternative is to swap entire sump and oil pump for Gen 2 stuff, which I have got.
I expect you wont have enough room at the rear and the water outlet & dissy will hit into the firewall. If you need it, I have made conversion kits to shift the distributor to the front, and modify the water outlets.
If you happen to have the 205 gearbox, I'll swap you for some parts /work you need. PM or email me.