PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Japan.

DAMO46
10th April 2008, 03:53 AM
Just wondering what a trip to japan, return + cheap accom?
Ive looked up on jetstar and all that but whens the cheapest time of year?
Any one got some helpful info?

johl
10th April 2008, 10:17 AM
heaps of info on secretdrift

ae86hachiroku
10th April 2008, 11:24 AM
You're looking at around $2000 there and back...

phatrota
10th April 2008, 11:57 AM
singapore airlines are reasonably well priced, i think no harm in looking them up anyway.

flamingheads
10th April 2008, 12:41 PM
I think Jetstars the cheapest now, about $800-900 return maybe. But if Tiger Air flies there yet they'll be ridiculously cheap.
I went to Osaka and Kyoto and they seemed to be a little bit more expensive than over here for everything. So maybe estimate what you'd spend traveling Australia then and 10% and you'll probably have a little change from that. I hear Tokyo is a lot more expensive though.
For when, first decide where you want to go then get a guidebook and that'll tell you the best/cheapest time to go plus all the great stuff to see you didn't know you wanted to see plus lots of handy hints.
Don't forget to wear your coolest clothes so you don't look too dagy compared to that schmick Japanese fashions.

patience
10th April 2008, 01:10 PM
Just got back from a 3 week trip 1 month ago.

My airfare with jetstar was 650 return.
I took 1500 with me and spent it all, though I was going out every night and doing alot of travelling, and spent 250 of that on a small digital camera and about 150 on gifts.
You can stay at youth hostels for pretty cheap.
HOWEVER i did have free accomodation as I stayed with friends families the whole time, and had some things shouted for me.

It all depends on where you want to go, Tokyo can be very expensive. I was in Kansai which is in my opinion the best place for a trip, if you stay in Osaka or Kyoto it's only a 50 min trip to Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Kobe which all have great tourist sites and things to do.
My best advice is to go and purchase Lonely Planets Japan travel guide. It saved my arse and gave me so many great tips I should marry one of the authors.

And don't think you can just rock up and find some street drifters or はしりや because they do it far away in the mountains or in industrial areas. If you are lucky you might be able to catch some car shows or drift events.
Look up a calender on when the best time to go is, summer has alot of holidays and festivals (june july) but it will be very busy and humid.
September is start of autumn so that is a nice time to go, all the trees start to turn golden and the weather is perfect.

patience
10th April 2008, 01:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (flamingheads @ Apr 10 2008, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=515907)</div>
Don't forget to wear your coolest clothes so you don't look too dagy compared to that schmick Japanese fashions.[/b]
You will still look a bit daggy, Japanese youth generally spend all or most of their money on clothes and they have strange fashions that either will come here in 5 years or never at all.

But don't let this worry you, I did at first but if you are of European background or noticeably foreigner, they will love it and standing out abit is not that bad, people will know you are a foreigner then and you will have more fun and meet more people.
Don't take your daggiest clothes though as most Americans I saw over there wear, they stick out like dogs balls and look stupid. You can't go wrong with jeans and black and white t shirts

DAMO46
10th April 2008, 01:53 PM
thanks for all the info guys!
hey patience howd you get a return for 650?

verm69
10th April 2008, 04:52 PM
just looked it up for april this year... $318 to osaka, $318 back... so $632 all up! not sure if this incledes tax and shit... but i'm sure they wouldn't break the bank :)

driftke70
10th April 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm going over later on in the year if anyone wants to tag along.

Brendo
10th April 2008, 07:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeRm69 @ Apr 10 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=516008)</div>
just looked it up for april this year... $318 to osaka, $318 back... so $632 all up! not sure if this incledes tax and shit... but i'm sure they wouldn't break the bank :)[/b]

that is so so cheap, would probably add up a bit more by the time its booked yeah.

I'll go one day :rolleyes:

DAMO46
10th April 2008, 08:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (driftke70 @ Apr 10 2008, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=516098)</div>
I'm going over later on in the year if anyone wants to tag along.[/b]

when are you goin?

patience
10th April 2008, 08:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (damo46 @ Apr 10 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=515936)</div>
thanks for all the info guys!
hey patience howd you get a return for 650?[/b]
Jetstar sale my friend

lowa
12th April 2008, 10:58 AM
Japan sounds like fun...........sounds to be pretty good value too...

driftke70
12th April 2008, 02:36 PM
pretty exxy over there, plane trip isnt too bad anymore

ill be going around november ^^

have a place to stay, work and stuff so should be good, plus a friend who has been there for a while and speaks fluent japlish

4door
22nd April 2008, 04:12 PM
i have been 3 times and also to korea.

japan is cheap if u know what u are doing, korea seems more expensive actually.

Drift ke70 - to work over in japan or korea u need to be a skilled labourer or have university degree so that u can get working visa, other than that it is not hard.

works510
22nd April 2008, 06:13 PM
We will be going later in the year, come on jetstar sales!
Will be going backpacker styles, hopefully going to some "hot olds" shows and all japan datsun 510 day.
If i like it there, might even stay a year or 2
skilled labour, thats me :D
Other jobs that are easy to get are bar work (shit pay) and damn english teacher.
driftke70, est time on when you will be going up?

4door
22nd April 2008, 06:34 PM
u guys should try go korea, its just as fun in places like incheon or seoul.

warning to people wanting to buy phones.. my current hand phone, i brought back from korea is a SOFTBANK 912SH (jap phone but sold in korea).

problem is that japan and korea use a different phone network to australia, so u will need to have the phone unlocked to opperate on our 3g network, this was no problem, a store in sydney cbd unlocked it for me.

driftke70
22nd April 2008, 06:36 PM
i havn't had a chance to plan it much, but i want to spend about 3 or 4 months over there, anywhere from late oct to early november to around jan or feb.

trueno kim i have a university degree.

works510, I'm pretty much going to roam free willy around the place doing as you say cool old car shows, various tracks, see how i go, will then probably go back again late next year and spend a year there and no shorter, for an obvious reason :0

works510
22nd April 2008, 06:45 PM
yeah sweet, should go for some beer's errr saki whatever its called haha
November for us, max 3 weeks :(
hahah personal import time ay? that was my reason plus I don't really have any commitments here

driftke70
22nd April 2008, 07:12 PM
sounds like a plan