PDA

View Full Version : t50 2nd gear gone

wide s13
14th April 2008, 07:51 PM
i have a t50 gearbox on the ass of my 16valve 4age.
and 2nd gear jumps out unless held in.
easy fix or full rebuild?
I was also wondering has anyone had one rebuilt & how much did it cost you?
i've already lined up a 2nd gearbox to drop in, but it is in used condition and don't want to be pulling it out in a couple of weeks :verymad:
just so i know wether i can afford to gearbox rebuilds and have a spare :2thumbs:

oh I'm in brissy to but it would be good to get opinions as what to do.

riojin
14th April 2008, 07:57 PM
rebuild it yourself or buy another. theyre the cheapest options. if you paysomeone itll be expensive.

don't bother buying new syncros because they cost a fortune, just learn to shift without needing them

wide s13
15th April 2008, 03:49 PM
if i was to rebuild it it would be stronger heys? rather than replacing bits from a used box?
cheers

DavisJD
15th April 2008, 08:44 PM
I think swapping to a W5* box will be a better option that rebuilding your T50.

Or on the cheap, just throw in another T50 and hope for the best.

I haven't don't to much research on rebuilding T50's, but from what I remember, there is headaches and alot of expenses involved. For a box that is still relatively weak.

Jonny Rochester
15th April 2008, 09:15 PM
Rebuilding a gearbox does not make it stronger. Who comes up with these ideas?

To fix the problem, you have to take the gearbox apart, probably down to every gear and bearing. And clean and inspect all parts. If 2nd gear is slipping out, you of course have to identify which one is 2nd gear. (This can take a while if you've never seen a gearbox before). Look at the damage. Maybe you have to change the 1st/2nd outer hub? Maybe you have to change the 2nd gear due to wear on dog teeth? Probably new syncros also. Then new bearings, depends on how bad they are, and how much you want to spend. There are 1 or 2 bearings in the T50 not available from the industrial bearing shops. The rest are easy to buy.

To do this work you need a big press and various sockets and bits of metal. Otherwise you need a couple of expensive puller kits. Often 2 kits of different sizes are needed. One kit rarely does everything you want it to.

wide s13
15th April 2008, 09:18 PM
i have a press and lots of sockets and tools due to mine and dads collection.
I'm getting a used t50. so ill pull the otherone down and see whats wrong with it once its out.
then decide wether to rebuild it or start arrange a wseries conversion.
thanks guys

sprintdaddy
16th April 2008, 12:15 AM
Steel case celica boxes are stronger than a T50 and cheaper than a W58 and fit easy too, i think AJPS has adapter plates so you can bolt them straight in.