View Full Version : Removing front windscreen

Marco
15th April 2008, 11:07 PM
As title states has anybody ever removed a front windscreen on an 86 without breaking it how did you do it?

cheers in advance,
marco.

darryl
15th April 2008, 11:28 PM
haha i "tried" to remove my ke70's windscreen in one piece about 20 minutes ago............cut away at the glue/seal shit for ages then did the old sit in between the front seats and push with my feet thing.....shattered almost instantly!

still got it out though

gumbie
16th April 2008, 12:59 AM
Yes. Remove all the trim around the screen on the outside and inside and run a knife under the screen to cut the seal and push out. Just make sure that you have cut all the seal away or the above will happen.!!!!!!

redsprinter
16th April 2008, 02:26 PM
where you located (nsw) , i have a mate who does windscreens for a living ... has doena few sprinters, including mine .

Paw-DK
17th April 2008, 08:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ Apr 15 2008, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=518595)</div>
The AE86 does not have a rubber windscrean seal. The windscrean is glued to the cars body. It is stuck in with a polyurathene sealant I think, Sik-a-flex or something.

To remove the windscrean, you may have to first remove the left and right door rubbers, not sure. Then remove the trim pieces around the windscrean which are aluminium. Use a shaft knife to cut around the windscrean, then use a bit of piano wire with a wooden handle on either end to cut through the seal. This is not easy, you need one person inside and on outside to start with. You can try with very thin piano wire, or 2 wires twisted together to work better as a saw.[/b]

from johhnyR

Moebius
17th April 2008, 07:00 PM
From what I've heard, even the pros tend to break them every now and then.

Paw-DK
17th April 2008, 08:17 PM
all depends on the condition of the screen, size of stone chips if any and how much urethane was done previously
but usually using piano wire will get the job done without cracking the kient
and the shaft knife is normally used when the window are already cracked soo its a nice and easy job
urethane is 10times stronger then normal general purpose silicone but on a hot day its slides easy peasey haha