View Full Version : camshaft bearing cap nuts

lachy2k3
17th April 2008, 07:20 AM
hey guys having trouble with taking the nuts off the highlighted yellow circles, used a 10mm spanner on it but doesnt feel like its the right one. didnt have any trouble with the other camshaft bearing cap bolts using the same spanner. am i using the wrong size or is the bolt just stripped or something? btw this is not my actual engine
[attachment=24995:fasdfd.JPG]

af300e
17th April 2008, 12:37 PM
Use a socket with 6 sided hex. You'll get a more positive fix on the bolt head.
They should be 10mm if stock.
Oh, you'll need either a 6 sided box spanner or a deep socket for the ones that hold the cam covers down.

Hen is a total nutcase
17th April 2008, 01:03 PM
I found all those cam bearing bolts to be a PITA. Some were tricky to get off, and a bunch broke as I torqued them up to their recommended torque.

6 sided ring spanner would be nice. Or if you bust any I might be able to dig out a few spare for you.

Hen

lachy2k3
17th April 2008, 04:40 PM
yea I'm trying to get the nuts on the ones that hold the rocker cover down.. its a ball breaker. :confused:
i think a 10mm deep socket should work but i don't have one :(

ae71
17th April 2008, 09:34 PM
go buy some socket, or just one individual one.

i brought some 1/2" cheap impact sockets from super cheap, i have never rounded a head with them, i think they are $17 for a set, you may have to grind the wall down to fit it in as they are thick

Fozz
17th April 2008, 10:58 PM
this are an absolute shitter to remove i removed mine by sawing off an edge on the bolt so its straight then using a set of vice grips to remove it

lachy2k3
18th April 2008, 07:57 PM
bought a 10mm deep socket and it just came off with ease. proves thats the right tools makes the job easy. thanks for all your help. cheers