PDA

View Full Version : leaded or unleaded

freddie
19th April 2008, 03:49 PM
eyy i just bought a ke70 '82 n they said that they had been running it on leaded

iv been told that i can tune it for unleaded but do i need some kind of converter or special thing on the carby??

ae71
19th April 2008, 04:37 PM
eerr na mate, no converter needed. the only thing is that leadedfuel was about 97 octane, regular is 91, premium 95 and super duper 98. run it on regular unless you want to advance the timing or hear the motor pinging, if this happens use (pulp) 95.

only thing is that some people use stuff called valve saver as the idea behind leaded fuel was to crease excess carbon on the exhaust valves to crease a cussion to prevent premature wear. to convert to unleaded you need to have hardened valve seats fitted to the head but in most Japanese cars with alloy heads this is not needed as they already have hardened valve seats.

so to answer your question no yo can run it on unleaded, if you really feel the need use this valve saver stuff but it really isnt necessary. also leaded fuel hasn't been available for a few years. it was outlawed in japan in the mid 70's

freddie
19th April 2008, 05:54 PM
eyyy cheers m8 your a big help :2thumbs:

RobertoX
20th April 2008, 02:42 PM
advance timing +98 is fine