PDA

View Full Version : fuel lines

riceburner
21st April 2008, 01:29 PM
got a problem... noticed that i went thru $20petrol and only got 60kms out of it.. strange..

this all started yesterday.. when i got home there was no leaks or anythjing so i just put it down to maybe my dodgy fuel guage

started the car this morning and let it warm up, reversed out of the drive and then noticed a pool of petrol in the carport..

looked underneath and one of the fuel lines was dripping out fuel, only when the engine is on...

gonna have to replace the line i think, but ive never done much with the fuel sytem b4.. are the lines pressureized? where will i get a line from? somewhere like bursons or repco?

is it a simple matter of pulling off the line and swapping it over?

sorry, never done it b4..

the car has a beefed up fuel system in the boot.. pump, surge, lifter, swirl pot etc

james

RObErT_RaTh
21st April 2008, 01:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riceburner @ Apr 21 2008, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=520819)</div>
got a problem... noticed that i went thru $20petrol and only got 60kms out of it.. strange..

this all started yesterday.. when i got home there was no leaks or anythjing so i just put it down to maybe my dodgy fuel guage

started the car this morning and let it warm up, reversed out of the drive and then noticed a pool of petrol in the carport..

looked underneath and one of the fuel lines was dripping out fuel, only when the engine is on...

gonna have to replace the line i think, but ive never done much with the fuel sytem b4.. are the lines pressureized? where will i get a line from? somewhere like bursons or repco?

is it a simple matter of pulling off the line and swapping it over?

sorry, never done it b4..

the car has a beefed up fuel system in the boot.. pump, surge, lifter, swirl pot etc

james[/b]

just get some EFI hsoe i think it shoudl be 7.5 mm or sumthing for the length that u need, and then it hsould jsut be like 2 hose clamps or so to undo and replace

riceburner
21st April 2008, 03:06 PM
sweet, thought id be pretty straight 4ward... I'm guessing a bit of fuel will spill out etc... will the air in the new line need to be bled out etc? or will it just cough an splutter a bit untill the air passes?

parrot
21st April 2008, 04:57 PM
I'm guessing you are not using factory fittings, rather hose clamps & aftermarket fuel hose etc. The line is pressurised by the pump but you do not need to bleed air or anything.

If the line under the car is metal, it's unlikely to have a split. More likely a hose connection to this metal line is the source of the leak and the petrol is then running down the line and dripping off at the lowest point.

Check all connections, and be especially observant of splits at the ends of rubber hoses.

Make sure you replace any rubber hoses with the correct size to fit the fuel pipe and that it is EFI specific hose. Existing hoses may be too big. Also make sure you use fuel injection specific hose clamps (these are designed to not damage the rubber fuel line) which you can buy at Repco (Gates).

If your setup is factory, check fittings are seated properly and the copper washers are in place.

riceburner
22nd April 2008, 03:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (parrot @ Apr 21 2008, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=520916)</div>
I'm guessing you are not using factory fittings, rather hose clamps & aftermarket fuel hose etc. The line is pressurised by the pump but you do not need to bleed air or anything.

If the line under the car is metal, it's unlikely to have a split. More likely a hose connection to this metal line is the source of the leak and the petrol is then running down the line and dripping off at the lowest point.

Check all connections, and be especially observant of splits at the ends of rubber hoses.

Make sure you replace any rubber hoses with the correct size to fit the fuel pipe and that it is EFI specific hose. Existing hoses may be too big. Also make sure you use fuel injection specific hose clamps (these are designed to not damage the rubber fuel line) which you can buy at Repco (Gates).

If your setup is factory, check fittings are seated properly and the copper washers are in place.[/b]

hit the nail on the head there mate... got a boot full of fuel system.. turns out where the rubber hosing joins the metal tubing had all frayed.. it is proper fuel line hosing but i think the hose clamps must not be the ones u mentioned as they have chewed up the ends.. did a temp cut and stretch job on them untill the weekend when ill get to the auto store for some better clamps and maybe some stronger hosing..

did manage to get a facefull of petrol tho!
cheers!

Javal
22nd April 2008, 10:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riceburner @ Apr 22 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=521389)</div>
hit the nail on the head there mate... got a boot full of fuel system.. turns out where the rubber hosing joins the metal tubing had all frayed.. it is proper fuel line hosing but i think the hose clamps must not be the ones u mentioned as they have chewed up the ends.. did a temp cut and stretch job on them untill the weekend when ill get to the auto store for some better clamps and maybe some stronger hosing..

did manage to get a facefull of petrol tho!
cheers![/b]

Safety Glasses ftw!

choom78
24th April 2008, 09:37 AM
cheap way to get high.

When doing fueling systems.

* Unplug your battery
* Depressurise the fueling system (release fuel cap)
* Always have a rag ready to capture spillage
* triple-dipple check everything
* triple-dipple check everything running (idling)
* Prime the system before starting (factory usually does a prime before start) but on an empty system, you should do a few primes just in case
* Use EFI rated materials (do not use your 4ac clips please).
* Make sure you get the send/return/breather in the right order! (don't ask)