PDA

View Full Version : S13 Brake Upgrade

hugh
2nd May 2008, 04:24 PM
Hey Guys,
Did a search, but couldnt find what I was looking for...
Ive read a lot about the s13 coilover and brake upgrade, which I will be doing, but haven't seen anything ragarding brake lines.
Would I have to get custom brake lines??
Would my stock master cylinder and brake booster be sufficient??
Its an ae71 with bigport 4age.
Also, I'm upgrading the engine to a 4agze, hence the reason for brake upgrade, would SR20de front brakes be sufficient enough for the power??
Any help would be great.
cheers

Fozz
2nd May 2008, 07:12 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...?showtopic=7089 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=7089) :sweat:

Roku_70
2nd May 2008, 07:27 PM
very helpfull of u fozz.... here is mine... well, was mine... you can kind of make it out... big project car lol

Konakid
2nd May 2008, 08:07 PM
if you have 86 struts you just could go FC brakes, would be plenty.

federal
2nd May 2008, 09:11 PM
+1

FC Brakes will pull up a treat....better than the S13 brakes anyway...from speaking to a mate who has fc front and jdm rear with jdm bias block, he found the car just about wants to do endo's ;)

Hen is a total nutcase
3rd May 2008, 06:14 PM
Having run both FC and S13 brakes, I couldn't pick the difference. However both setups used the same disc, so you'd expect them to work pretty similarly.

Also I'm fairly sure SR S13s got the same brakes across NA and turbo models.

Hen

ke70dave
3rd May 2008, 06:42 PM
Would I have to get custom brake lines??

s13 stoft lines will bolt into ke70/ae86/ae71 solid lines. ive done this and it works good

Would my stock master cylinder and brake booster be sufficient??

I'm running CA18 brakes on my car, runs fine, i hear you might need to upgrade mastercylinder for SR20 brakes ( i belive r32 non-abs master is a "bolt in" job, just need to make the lines fit, or get some longer/different lines), my opinion CA18 brakes are more than enough stopping power for any engine you put in a ae86. the car is so light anyway. bahnugget on here has a ca18det in his ae86 with ca18 brakes, works good, pulls up nice, rarely overheats.

Also, I'm upgrading the engine to a 4agze, hence the reason for brake upgrade, would SR20de front brakes be sufficient enough for the power??

as stated earlier, ca18 brakes i reckon are sufficient for gze.

RussianMafia000
5th May 2008, 07:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hen is a total nutcase @ May 3 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=526045)</div>
Having run both FC and S13 brakes, I couldn't pick the difference. However both setups used the same disc, so you'd expect them to work pretty similarly.

Also I'm fairly sure SR S13s got the same brakes across NA and turbo models.

Hen[/b]

Exact same discs? Because I've got a pair of SR ones here and wanted some more braking power, I'm also using 86 struts.

Also while on this topic, my current front brakes won't hold the car still if I'm trying tp spin the tyres stationary. I'm using a hilux rear end with massive drums, would a bias controller fix this problem? Or would I just need to upgrade the fronts???

Hen is a total nutcase
6th May 2008, 06:05 PM
Exact same discs. I had a custom setup with the FC calipers to suit them.

If you can rotate your wheels by hand while someone's pressing the brakes then your brakes are seriously screwed. Fix them or get them fixed properly before doing anything else.

Hen

RussianMafia000
7th May 2008, 08:00 PM
Ok cool thanks, the brakes are definatly working when coming to a stop. It's just when trying to spin the wheels on the spot they won't hold it there lol. The car is making around 300hp which is probably part of the problem but I still would of thought they could hold it..?

Benno
7th May 2008, 08:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-=GOODY=- @ May 7 2008, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=527838)</div>
Ok cool thanks, the brakes are definatly working when coming to a stop. It's just when trying to spin the wheels on the spot they won't hold it there lol. The car is making around 300hp which is probably part of the problem but I still would of thought they could hold it..?[/b]

check you one way valve to the booster. they usually fail but it's not noticed.
when your rolla gets on boost the booster pushes your pedal back up, thats why you can't rip a line lock/car creeps forward.
most good brake shops sell metal valves to replace it with.

RussianMafia000
7th May 2008, 08:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benno @ May 7 2008, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=527856)</div>
check you one way valve to the booster. they usually fail but it's not noticed.
when your rolla gets on boost the booster pushes your pedal back up, thats why you can't rip a line lock/car creeps forward.
most good brake shops sell metal valves to replace it with.[/b]

That sounds like it might be my problem, where abouts should the valve be? Right under the master cylinder pretty much?