PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for VVT plug - Silvertop

pogi
2nd May 2008, 04:48 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm in need of a replacement plug to go into the spot that's circled in red in the photos below, as the wires are currently just held on with crimp connectors. As you can see from the photo it's a silvertop, just with a blacktop cam cover.

I'll be heading to a wrecker to look for one that'll fit as I've been told I should be able to find the same plug on another car, but I was just wondering if anyone knew which car I'd most likely find this plug on?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/2453388327_e6c4dc6056.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3007/2454214642_b3347d6b1a.jpg

Thank You :)

shelldrake
2nd May 2008, 09:23 PM
You will find most recent toyota's plugs are the same for the vvt switch. Just have a poke around at a dealership. But, my auto elec ended up soldering the wires firmly to the pins and filling the plug housing with resin, then attach a general purpose two pin auto connector and put some thin conduit on it.Looks professional.

rthy
3rd May 2008, 12:15 AM
thats some pretty smart thinking

350hp4agte
3rd May 2008, 10:12 AM
i spoke to millennium motor sport a little while ago and the guy there told me hey can get in new toyota plugs for just about any application

http://www.millennium-motorsports.com/

Anthony
5th May 2008, 11:35 AM
Or you could go into Toyota and ask for part number 90980-11162 :)

rthy
5th May 2008, 09:46 PM
neat, I wonder what they would charge for it, this is a really dumb question but it would come with pins right?

Anthony
5th May 2008, 10:03 PM
Trade price is about $12 for the housing only, and it seems to only come in white...

lol, not a dumb question - no pins, I'm looking into the pins, all I can find atm is separate pins with 50cm of wire already crimped on for about $12 ea! :( (these are intended for spot repair of broken connectors in looms, usually the housing breaks and the pins are still there/ok)

rthy
9th May 2008, 10:45 AM
hey I had an idea, could you order one of these plugs and then carefully break apart some common Camry plug or something from the self serve wreckers to use the pins from that? or how about a pick/de-pinning tool, are they available to commoners like us?

Jonny Rochester
9th May 2008, 12:17 PM
Anthony, where do you find part numbers for plugs like that?

I have a secondhand plug from a 20valve I can sell if someone wants it.

I also have the plugs that go into a AE111 ECU, both used and brand new with the pins. If anyone needs them.

Manfred_Kreuzwirth
12th May 2008, 11:40 AM
I took a VVT solenoid down to the local wrecker and went around searching all sorts of vehicles for a suitable plug. I ended up finding one in the headlight area of an early 90s Magna (the earliest round shaped body version). Total cost - $0.

pogi
12th May 2008, 02:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anthony @ May 5 2008, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=526975)</div>
lol, not a dumb question - no pins, I'm looking into the pins, all I can find atm is separate pins with 50cm of wire already crimped on for about $12 ea! :( (these are intended for spot repair of broken connectors in looms, usually the housing breaks and the pins are still there/ok)[/b]
Thanks for the info on this everyone! I've contacted my mate at Toyota to as him to get one for me.

However, I'm a bit of a noob in the mechanical side, but apart from getting the plug, what needs to be done with the wires already connected by crimp connecors and this plug? Do i just thread the wires through the plug then put it into the hole?

Cheers!