PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to this, Questions about ae71 PLEASE ANSWER :D!

gumbie
6th May 2008, 12:11 AM
Hey guys just wondering what mods to do first on a ae71 i got 3k roughly to spend on it what should i do first?????????

rthy
6th May 2008, 12:16 AM
4 shockers + springs
bushes
cheap brake upgrade using toyo parts

and then if your good at getting deals:

buy a smashed ae/82/ae93 twinky and swap the engine+ecu+loom

also I recommend going into the FAQ section, watch out for my articles though, grammar is not my forte

gumbie
6th May 2008, 12:26 AM
cheers for the info mate! :) any idea on what brand of springs etc to go for? 3k to spend remember :D, and another 5k to spend on the car in about 4months time! btw what do LSD's go for?? and what LSD is suitable for an AE71

gumbie
6th May 2008, 12:29 AM
also and were should i look to buy the springs and shocks?? privately or through a dealer?

Javal
6th May 2008, 01:00 AM
Hi.

I'd really recommend getting your suspension sorted first, so that when you put a motor / lsd and such in, it's going to be a tight package. Stock suspension and brakes sucks.

So, what i'd recommend.

Front:
AJPS AE86 Coilovers -
$850 for base model
up to about $1600 / 1700 for shiny bling bling Bilstein insert fitted, Cusco camber topped, flat thread coilover sleeved badass pieces of kit. AND THEY EVEN HAVE A STICKER ON THEM. A STICKER. oh, and your cnoice of spring rate. on the ajps motorsport spring.

Upgrade your brakes at the same time -

AE86 Aussie
or
AE86 JDM Vented
or
FC RX7 4spot + EG Civic rotor + AJPS Adaptor.

THEN - the other stuff.

Corona control arms - for more track and camber
RCA's - to bring your control arm back to normal angle on lowered vehicles
Cusco power brace - to take the strain off that flimsy rad support
Rebushing / new ball joints.
power steering arms - for more lock
AND OR
AJPS lock spacer, for even MORE steering lock
and a strut brace to stiffen the whole package up a bit.

Rear:
AJPS Motorsport springs
Then shocks to match your fronts -
KYB's,
TRD's
or Bilsteins.

And an adjustable panhard rod to center it.

Sounds like alot, but we do some mighty good deals ;)

This way it's all sorted in one fell swoop, no getting stuck with junk you don't need after you decide to upgrade again.

With your next installment -

some fat jap 14 x 8's or 15 x 8's (all down to your tastes)
decent tires
Motor of your choice? 4AGE bigport is probably best for your budget. I'd recommend getting a halfcut if you're doing it yourself.
JDM T-series (disc)
Aftermarket LSD (factory ones are junk by now)
Steering wheel
Seats

+ all the other shit i've forgotten.

From there you've got a pretty well sorted all rounder.

Shoot me a PM, i can give you a quote on the suspension side of things and hopefully answer some questions you may have.

Regards,
Josh
AJPS Team.

rthy
6th May 2008, 07:41 AM
well said javal although I am unsure about that "power brace"

For the diff question do a search for it but the short answer is you need a T18/Trueno diff and half a tailshaft. The easiest brake upgrade going around at the moment seems to be the cresida caliper/corona strut and supra disk.

ke70dave
6th May 2008, 11:17 AM
hey mate,

what jarvel has said is very very very good setup, but i think you will be pushing it to get any where near that with $3k.

problem with modifying cars is that if you think its gonna cost you say....100$, by the time you've finished the job properly, you would have spent 250$, and taken 3 times as long...

so with $3000 i would tend to

Before you do anything pick up a set of wheels, something with a bit of width, 14x7, 14x8 if you can afford it. and get some decent tyres on there.

by decent tyres i don't mean the 250$/corner type, just some new ones, probably around 120$/tyre is a reasonable price for nice tyres.

you can go cheap on the wheels so long as they are a nice size suitable for nice tyres.

lets say you spend around 400$ on the wheels, and the same again for the tyres.

now for the fun part.

1: pick up some adm ae86 struts and brakes (say 250$ or so) (you need the ae86 struts to fit decent shocks in, there arent any decent shocks for ke70 strut)
2: get 4 springs and 4 shocks (judging from the ajps site looking at like 400$ for the springs, and about the same again for the shocks (someone correct me if I'm wrong). if you feel like it you can go cheaper on springs, like falcons cut, or just find someone selling some cheap ones, but DO NOT go cheaper on the shocks. 2nd hand shocks = bad idea.
3: adjustable pan hard rod to keep your diff straight (ebay whiteline about 120$ last time i checked)

so with those three things we're up to about $1500 gone +/- 200 or so (excluding the tyres here, as i consider tyres maintainence not a modification)

so 1500$ still in your pocket, and you got a car that will handle quite well, and it will hopefully look nice with the new wheels.

4:

now you can either go 2 ways here.

you can ether go for the 4age route, or you can go the super duper suspension route, with slight mods to the 4ac.

4age route:

I'm not gonna explain what you need for a 4age check out the FAQ for that, but you have the upper hand since you have an AE71 (I'm gonna assume its manual already).

the prices on 4age stuff varies alot. from picking up stuff from mates, to import yards, to crawling around forums looking for bits and peices.

id go as far as to say that to do a 4age conversion properly you might be struggling to do it on a 1500$ budget.

there is alot of "luck" involved with 2nd hand parts as well, and engine conversions in general for that matter. you might think you have all the pieces you require and you start putting it together, and you realise you need all this other stuff = budget blow out.

now for the other option (super suspension with some mods for ye 4ac)

people underrate the 4ac i think, if your not into mad drifting and are doing things on a budget i would modify the 4ac a bit!!

its a great engine with plenty of power to have a bit of fun, even in stock form. sure its got nothing on 4age power, but its fun!

now people are gonna flame me, but I'm not talking about spending alot here. i don't know exactly what parts to get. but the internet will.

I'm thinking something like..a nice webber carburetta (looking at about 200-300$ or so, inlcuding a professional tune). try and find a 2nd hand nice exhaust, maybe even some extractors. depending in your luck. could possibly even find a better cam shaft, once again look around on forums, stuff comes up all the time.

you may get away with as little as 500$ for these parts, just depends what you can find.

so you got about $1000$ left

-so those longer LCA's (sigma/corona) would be a nice touch- budget say 150$ or so, or if you just want camber, camber tops around 250$
-a complete nolathane (spell?) bushes set would go down nicely, budget say...150$-200$ again.
-strut brace for the front, around 150$-200$, but cheap 2nd hand ones come up often.

so you got around 500$ left

by this time you got a car that will handle like its on rails, and your 4ac will have a bit more poke to it. this kind of car would be extremely fun to drive around town, bit of hills driving. you wont have the power to fry tyres, but hey..you can't do that on the street anyway.

leave the differential open, don't lock it up, lock diffs on underpowered cars are terrible.

if you haven't already got one, get a smaller steering wheel!!!!

if you have got one of them, look around for a nice bucket seat maybe, or just put it towards the ye old 4age conversion.

this post has gone on for to long.....

-David

Ksevn-T
6th May 2008, 11:37 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ May 6 2008, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=527100)</div>
well said javal although I am unsure about that "power brace"

For the diff question do a search for it but the short answer is you need a T18/Trueno diff and half a tailshaft. The easiest brake upgrade going around at the moment seems to be the cresida caliper/corona strut and supra disk.[/b]

What year and version of the cresida, corona and supra parts come from to do the brake upgrade? to be a bit more specific.

Good post ke70 dave!!! hit the nail on the head. :2thumbs:

monkae86
6th May 2008, 03:04 PM
wow good write up guys. i thought the answers would have been like:

"OMG SERRRRRCHHHH!!!!!!!"

but this is really good.

this should be stickied :P

gumbie
6th May 2008, 05:55 PM
Well thank you very much guys :D this was very very helpfull! Can't wait to get stuck into my car, only got a 3k budget atm, but another 5 - 7k in 4 months time, so ill have alot of dooshers to spend :D! And javal, Ill hit you up about that quote :), Ill send u a pm abit later, for now, i must got and cook dinner lol! And thanks again, very nice info! :)

rthy
6th May 2008, 07:13 PM
behold!

http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25965

one of the best bang for buck brake upgrades around

Ksevn-T
6th May 2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks sam Q. awsome link!!!

rthy
6th May 2008, 11:27 PM
you are welcome!

the cressida calipers are not that common though but they do appear at the picky wreckers from time to time. What suberb are you in?

hatstand
6th May 2008, 11:53 PM
goddamn don't waste time and money on cut springs, they're stupid,dangerous and illegal. springs are cheap. do it properly man. :rolleyes:

blair
7th May 2008, 12:01 AM
lol 8k to spend in 4 months...

don't bother?

Ksevn-T
7th May 2008, 12:41 AM
located in Moorabbin, theres a self serve parts place in center rd which is closest.

rthy
7th May 2008, 12:58 AM
oh yeah thats right, well there were no cressidas of that model there last time I checked. But there was meant to have been one at Pick'pay'n'go, the place I mentioned previously to yourself. Should be an ok drive from where you are.

Ksevn-T
7th May 2008, 02:07 AM
Last time i went (2 weeks ago) i think they had 1 cressida, will have to check it out this w.e for sure. Where you from sam Q?

DAMO46
7th May 2008, 04:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gumbie @ May 6 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=527296)</div>
Well thank you very much guys :D this was very very helpfull! Can't wait to get stuck into my car, only got a 3k budget atm, but another 5 - 7k in 4 months time, so ill have alot of dooshers to spend :D! And javal, Ill hit you up about that quote :), Ill send u a pm abit later, for now, i must got and cook dinner lol! And thanks again, very nice info! :)[/b]

If i were you and you were gonna spend 7k i would save up another couple of hundred and throw it at this.
this is what you call fine, this is the package!
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...mp;#entry527395 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=29646&pid=527395&st=0&#entry527395)

rthy
7th May 2008, 07:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ksevn-T @ May 7 2008, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=527553)</div>
Last time i went (2 weeks ago) i think they had 1 cressida, will have to check it out this w.e for sure. Where you from sam Q?[/b]

so long as you get the right model cressida, talk to shelldrake about this as he is in the middle of it.

I am mostly in Endeavour Hills

Ksevn-T
7th May 2008, 03:21 PM
can't remember my toymods pw so i can't post on there but, given the shortage of cressida in the area, will the 4 pot hylux or landcruizer calipers fit on that sorta setup?

rthy
7th May 2008, 10:49 PM
4 put landcruiser (heavy!) on the same strut but with a Peugeot disk