PDA

View Full Version : IRS into ae86

cky767
7th May 2009, 11:21 AM
[SAMS EDIT] all AE/KE IRS conversion questions in here

Hey guys iv got an R32 GTS-T diff cradle and whole rear end set up sitting around that i want to put in the sprinter along with the s13 front end and convert the front end to 5 stud also. has anyone done an IRS conversion? what are the weight differences? the 32 rear end looks like it will weigh more but not sure. what are the effects to the cars handling etc?, dont care too much about legalities at this stage but any info you guys know would be awesome, iv done a search on a few different forums but not able to uncover much.

cheers heaps :)

Anthony
7th May 2009, 11:40 AM
No offence, but if you have to ask some of those questions then perhaps an IRS converison on an 86 isnt for you? Just a thought.

cky767
7th May 2009, 11:46 AM
nah thats fair enough, i was just seeing if anyone could speak from experience as more often than not things in theory are completely different to the real applications.

xsoarerx
7th May 2009, 12:03 PM
it will work...

but just lots of work to do...

ae86's are good because of live axles...

if you have a IRS supra, carrina, corona, maybe we could understand as 80's Toyota IRS is a PITA, but 86...

if you do the work your self... get a rear end with lsd for next to nothing... ok with having +80/100mm extra track on the rear (means if you run say 15x8's your wheels will be a good distance from the body. and prob not going to drive it on the road... then go for it.

but you could spend the money in better places.

heaps of extra weight, easy 100kg.
extra work to fit s13/r32 coil overs...

yeah.

cky767
7th May 2009, 12:41 PM
hmmm maybe the HiLux option will be the way to go, stick with live rear axle. still doing lots of research at this stage

matt99
7th May 2009, 05:28 PM
Carbonae86 has done it in a sprinter.

I start mine tomorrow in my KE panno.

Rian
8th May 2009, 07:59 PM
i saw the full nissan conversion on a grey/black sprinter in england. its on here somewhere.. and looks like alot of work.

cky767
8th May 2009, 08:44 PM
mmm it would be alot of work and im wondering whether maybe it wouldnt be that much of an advantage that it would be worth it

Simon-KE70
9th May 2009, 12:35 AM
there is extra weight, no where near 100kgs tho, and the best part is that it is unsprung weight.

loads of work. seen it done, it can work really well. just needs time and set up time

Delazy
9th May 2009, 12:54 AM
hmmm maybe the HiLux option will be the way to go, stick with live rear axle. still doing lots of research at this stage

thorpey, wat are the plans for the car? hilux will be overkill for most engine combos...f series is just a strong and also lighter making it a better option...just harder to track down i guess...

matt99
9th May 2009, 12:19 PM
I start mine tomorrow in my KE panno.

Started yesterday, gave up last night. In a PANNO there would have to be lots of cutting of the chassis rails done. It just would'nt be logical in a Panno that gets streeted. If it was track only, then I would be out there right now cutting and wlding in box section.

In a sedan or an 86 it appears to be much easier based on looking at photos of Adams (Carbonae86's) one.

Im coilovering a T series now.

cky767
9th May 2009, 12:20 PM
eventually the car will be on the track, not drift. i want it for circuit racing. the work doesnt bother me, its not like it has a deadline as to when it has to be done im just tryong to figure out the best options for handling at this stage and there are alot more aftermarket 32 suspension parts than ae86 i guess.

cky767
9th May 2009, 12:22 PM
Started yesterday, gave up last night. In a PANNO there would have to be lots of cutting of the chassis rails done. It just would'nt be logical in a Panno that gets streeted. If it was track only, then I would be out there right now cutting and wlding in box section.

In a sedan or an 86 it appears to be much easier based on looking at photos of Adams (Carbonae86's) one.

Im coilovering a T series now.

ah ok, i might check out his and see what kind of work is involved, i know there is going to be alot of cutting involved, that doesnt bother me

matt99
9th May 2009, 12:36 PM
ah ok, i might check out his and see what kind of work is involved, i know there is going to be alot of cutting involved, that doesnt bother me

Jump on Hachiroku.com and search for Improvedae86's post's. He banned now, but you might still be able to search it. Other wise go into the "members ride" area thing and go to one of the last pages.

If its a sedan then I think its much easier. Plus, if you have no time limit, and your prepared to do the work, then I would say go for it if grip is what you want. Basically my car gets drifted, and lots of people were telling me that IRS would be more suited to grip driving. Now having seen the amount of work required in MY car to put it in, I have decided to stay live axle.

However being a panel van, it has leafs, so im fucking them off and going the full coilover sh-bang.

cky767
9th May 2009, 06:35 PM
Yeh i have been reading that post, very interesting, does anyone know where i can get in touch with improvedae86? im going to pick up my 32 rear end in about an hour so at least ill be able to have a good look at mounting options and fabrication needed etc

Delazy
9th May 2009, 08:43 PM
look abit harder and ull find 2 ppl in particular that may just be abit more forthcoming with information regarding the conversion...

its fairly involved to do properly and get decent geometry...and abit more to it than just deciding to use any old nissan subframe...doing it properly and for a decent amount of gain there maybe a particular subframe which will suit you more than the other...

ull also want complete adjustable arms, so think of these as another cost factor...equal length with watts link is prolly looking and sounding even more enticing already...

alot of discussion on this kind of stuff on forums outside of aus and the US...check out the uk forums for this kind of conversion..in particularly the following...

mcnamara customer build, they are currently building a customer car in ireland with a s13 rear end from memory...

roccos performance is building a 1uz 86 which will also be running IRS...

cky767
12th May 2009, 11:41 AM
lol some guy on HR.com posted the same thing, coincidence is his name is Ben too, linking to this thread. weird eh

Kid Karola
2nd November 2009, 03:18 AM
Probably too late for you, but sure this will be come up again at some stage...

Check out these IRS conversions to see the amount of work involved in converting to S13/4 rear end...

Levin from Croatia with SR20 + IRS (http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86/t/119/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=500)

Roco Performance 2UZ + IRS (http://www.ae86irl.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3994&highlight=cradle&page=6)

MCNsport SuperTune SR86 Corolla (http://www.ae86irl.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9599)

...guess similar amount of fab involved for R32 rear end. S13 front conversion has been covered before elsewhere.

Kid Karola
7th January 2010, 06:59 AM
Another IRS option - I think Ken Maeda's UpGarage Trueno had a custom cradle and used modified MX5 rear end... I sware I've seen a pic underneath with the car jacked up someplace but can't find it for the life of me (maybe it was in a magazine...) here's best I've found so far.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/94/271346570_b1ff2d894f_o.jpg

May not handle as much grunt as the S-R series but slightly more compact?
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/9/33585.jpg

marvis
7th January 2010, 11:10 AM
Over fenders for sportmaxx...
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Uz-iCbvQpn4/SY4GvyUWuOI/AAAAAAAAIgE/0auUzEaBSQE/s800/07022009695.jpg

You know you want to do it.

Mx5 idea could work.

Jonny Rochester
7th January 2010, 11:28 AM
eventually the car will be on the track, not drift. i want it for circuit racing.

Circuit racing, as on the track and racing against other car? You better get out the rule book and decide on a class first. Not too many 1.6l Sports sedans about.

If by "circuit racing" you just mean supersprints, you still have to fit into a class. Unless you are going for personal best lap times and nothing else.

sundee
7th January 2010, 09:02 PM
Ive seen this done in a dato 1600 before - also Tetsuya Hibino's 86 has IRS. ive got pics at home(at work right now) ill post them up.

s14seriesII
9th January 2010, 12:45 PM
thorpey, wat are the plans for the car? hilux will be overkill for most engine combos...f series is just a strong and also lighter making it a better option...just harder to track down i guess...

f series is weak when behind a 3s gte

eventually the car will be on the track, not drift. i want it for circuit racing. the work doesnt bother me, its not like it has a deadline as to when it has to be done im just tryong to figure out the best options for handling at this stage and there are alot more aftermarket 32 suspension parts than ae86 i guess.

not allowed irs even in targa class

but the improvement in the whole diff etc being changed to sprung weight would be huge

s13 rear cradel is better to use altho not ideal for traction compared to s14 im not sure about r32 tho..

i have many pics and could find some links if you like ?

Circuit racing, as on the track and racing against other car? You better get out the rule book and decide on a class first. Not too many 1.6l Sports sedans about.

If by "circuit racing" you just mean supersprints, you still have to fit into a class. Unless you are going for personal best lap times and nothing else.

no classes in supersprints

just pick your friends or ppl with similar lap times

cky767
9th January 2010, 09:59 PM
nah its ok thanks Mark, it was a bit of a silly idea to start with, i have some commonsense now lol. cheers for all the replies though guys

and johnny who said anything about sport sedans? are you saying that because of the heavy modification needed that would be the only class available? I was thinking more along the lines of targa class tbh.

its a long term project though thats for sure, im in no hurry.

s14seriesII
10th January 2010, 11:21 AM
jonny is right.. with irs in an ae86 the only class that you could run would be sports sedans..

targa class rules state factory 'style' of suspension

and same as factory driveline layout and relative placement

johl
10th January 2010, 01:25 PM
whats wrong with live axel? if that is what is holding you back maybe an 86 isnt for you? could easily spend your time and money on somewhere else.

s14seriesII
10th January 2010, 03:29 PM
id put nissan irs into an ae86 as a daily driver just so its strong, good lsd's avail' and so much nicer to drive, for a drift car most likely would but for a circuit car you have to leave live axel in unless your running sports sedans

Jonny Rochester
10th January 2010, 08:42 PM
In Tassie you could run anything you bring in Supersprints. On the mainland they have a Supersprints series, and they do have classes. One class uses the same rules as 3J Improved Production. More mods put you in open class, and no chance of a series trophy.