PDA

View Full Version : Loose Ball joints, worn Bushes replacement advice

Sidey
7th May 2008, 10:28 PM
Installed lowered front springs now but ....
Foudn that the ball joints are a bit loose in stock lower control arms and bushes need replacing.

Is it better/cheaper to replace the whole lower control arms so that they come with bushes & less labour charges or, is it better just to buy the ball joints and bushes and pay the extra labour to press fit them to the existing lower control arms ?

sway bar links and rubbers need changing too... but thats pretty sorted i think...
Thanks for any advice guys.

choom78
7th May 2008, 10:47 PM
Dunno places that sell whole control arms complete with new bushes and ball joints but i can only say replacing ball joint and bush is not too bad. If you have a vice, it will help. Otherwise source the parts and bring them to a suspension place. Probably replace them for $20 if u take the arm and parts to them.

rthy
8th May 2008, 02:04 AM
I am with choom, I don't think its possible to buy replacment arms much like you can do with falcadores.

changing the bushes is a pretty simple job for a mechanic and it shouldnt cost much.

Javal
8th May 2008, 02:40 AM
Hi!

AJPS has fully rebuilt XT130 LCA's in stock for $180 / pr. + shipping

More track and camber for YOU!

new bushes / balljoints, lock stoppers removed and nice satin black finish.

PM Truenosedan if you're keen.

Javal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (choom78 @ May 7 2008, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=527948)</div>
Dunno places that sell whole control arms complete with new bushes and ball joints but i can only say replacing ball joint and bush is not too bad. If you have a vice, it will help. Otherwise source the parts and bring them to a suspension place. Probably replace them for $20 if u take the arm and parts to them.[/b]

The balljoint and bush need to be pressed out with a hydraulic press, the balljoints need to be pressed back in also. The only part you can do with a vice is pressing in the bushes.
You're looking at around $90 for the replacement bushes + balljoints, + the labour of removing your old control arms / sourcing new ones and pressing all the shit out and in...

Sidey
10th May 2008, 01:46 AM
thanks for that Sam, and javal and choom.

was it $90 javal for just the bushes? then more for ball joints etc?
are u saying that it would be better to just get some LCAs like u have, rather than go thru all the hydrolic pressing and buyng just the ball joints etc?

Javal
10th May 2008, 04:03 AM
more like $90 for both the bushes and balljoints.

But like i said, it's the removal and labour charges that'll kill you.

Realistically it'd be cheaper to get Reco'd Corona LCA's through AJPS than get your mechanic to Reco yours.