PDA

View Full Version : Gear popping in and out.

djscheppy
8th May 2008, 03:44 PM
As the title says, When I'm in first gear, and i accelerate hard (only running a 4ac atm, 4agze is coming next week) it seems to jump in and out of gear.
By that i mean it has power, then doesnt, then does etc and i give up and just shift to second and ease off the accelerator.
All the other gears are fine, except i think 2nd has started to do it too.

The shifter doesnt pop out, and i just got a HD clutch put in not long ago so its not 'slipping' and over revving with no output (ive done the 5th gear+hill test).

is my gear box loose? i think theres a bit of rattle there.
or is my GB rooted?
or something else?

cheers guys.

-schep.

Jonny Rochester
8th May 2008, 04:36 PM
Is it popping out of gear or not?

By the sounds of it, it is not coming out of gear, but the engine is misfireing. This would probably be a ignition problem, or maybe a airleak at the carby or manifold.

dustyae86
8th May 2008, 04:47 PM
what he said.... orrrr else, blocked fuel filter

sdm86
8th May 2008, 04:53 PM
does it physically pop out of gear like clunks and falls into neutral?
if thats the case your g/box is fucked this happened in an n13 i use to own.
B) B)

djscheppy
8th May 2008, 08:19 PM
hmm. maybe i didnt explain it properly. Its not jumping out of gear into first.

its more of a "jerking" thing. Jerks forward and back repeatedly when i accelerate.

could be a misfiring thing then?
should i fix it or just drop the ze in when i get it?

dustyae86
9th May 2008, 08:58 AM
has nothing to do with your gearbox :) depends on how much money you want to spend, a fuel filter is a couple of dollars, carby cleaner is only a couple of dollars too

Robo86
9th May 2008, 10:08 AM
try fuel filter first, i had a simmilar prob. if that don't work it could be a clogged/rooted fuel pump

i changed both these things and havnt had an issue since

ke70dave
9th May 2008, 01:49 PM
yeah sounds like its misfiring to me.

if you put it in a high gear, say 3rd gear at 30km/h, and you put your foot down, does it missfire really bad?

if so, time for some maintainence!

i suggest doing things in this order

check your fuel filter, jsut replace this, like $5
check the points gap and replace if they are burnt out (like 10$)
get a can of carby cleaner, this stuff is freekin awesome, clean that carby of yours.
check your spark plugs, if they are lookin pretty crap, or if you havent changed them for a long time, get new ones, like 15$, make sure you have a nice spark in the plugs by shorting them out to ground and cranking engine. if you don't get a nice spark, look into leads/coils.

by the sound of it its a break down of spark or just lack of fuel, so just check the above things and should fix it.

djscheppy
10th May 2008, 07:03 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ May 9 2008, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=528741)</div>
yeah sounds like its misfiring to me.

if you put it in a high gear, say 3rd gear at 30km/h, and you put your foot down, does it missfire really bad?

if so, time for some maintainence!

i suggest doing things in this order

check your fuel filter, jsut replace this, like $5
check the points gap and replace if they are burnt out (like 10$)
get a can of carby cleaner, this stuff is freekin awesome, clean that carby of yours.
check your spark plugs, if they are lookin pretty crap, or if you havent changed them for a long time, get new ones, like 15$, make sure you have a nice spark in the plugs by shorting them out to ground and cranking engine. if you don't get a nice spark, look into leads/coils.

by the sound of it its a break down of spark or just lack of fuel, so just check the above things and should fix it.[/b]

haha thanks for the list! (with prices)
Got some stuff to take care of this weekend then!
cheers guys, muchos appreciated.

-schep.