View Full Version : best chemical to dissolve rest of sound deadining

stefan
10th May 2008, 10:01 PM
best shit to use to clean all those little bits off!

federal
10th May 2008, 10:05 PM
carby cleaner is a good cheap one...

wax and grease remover will also work

kazman
10th May 2008, 10:24 PM
If the sound deadening is predominantly bitumen based, you can use kerosine to increase the fluidity of it making it easier to come off.
In Civil Engineering we cutback the bitumen for pavement asphalt with kerosine and a portion of diesel to allow the bitumen to be sprayed on.
Bitumen being a hydrocarbon molecule, it can be dissolved with other forms of hydrocarbons.
Test a bit of kerosine on a portion of the sound deadener and see how that works by allowing it to settle for a while then scraping it off with a putty knife or similar tool.
As with all hydrocarbon liquids, do this is a well ventilated area, away from direct sunlight and make sure you wear the appropriate fume protection equipment.
Let me know how this goes. If it isn't effective I will search the exact portions of the constituent elements within the sound deadener to come up with a solvent to dissolve it.

stefan
10th May 2008, 10:44 PM
cheers for the info guys

kero works well

carby cleaner hands down winner!

and petrol too!

loc33e
10th May 2008, 10:46 PM
WD40 works well too

Trev084
10th May 2008, 11:51 PM
My mum got tar splash allover her car once (from driving on a newly layed road in the rain), The council said to use turps to get it off, Worked a treat.

kazman
10th May 2008, 11:55 PM
Yes, Carby Cleaner will work very well as it has very reactive ester molecules (hence the kinda aromatic smell), however it is quite expensive.
So if you are planning to remove lots of sound deadener, use cheaper hydrocarbons like kerosine to remove the initial coat then follow up with the carby cleaner to do the detailed stuff. If you really find that a part is quite stubborn, acetone may be an alternative, but use sparingly as it is quite aggressive.
An important note worth mentioning is that some sound deadening pre 1990, used tar in the mix with bitumen and some traces of heavy metals may also exist in the tar. Some sound deadening material may have become quite dry and brittle with age, be sure to wet these areas and wear a mask, and at no point try to sandpaper or grind these areas off without wearing protective equipment (I'm a big fan of PE as you can see :greenbounce: ).

StockAE86
11th May 2008, 12:26 AM
I just used petrol to get rid of mine, on a rag, worked pretty well