PDA

View Full Version : 4age keeps dying

skin
11th May 2008, 05:17 PM
Just bought a car, bought it with the engine not running and I'm now trying to get it going, its a jdm rwd bigport.

Apparntly the morning i went to pick it up he said it started first thing, ran for about 5 mins then died. Now wont start again

Its not getting any spark

help please

Ive checked basics

slide86
11th May 2008, 05:25 PM
igniter or coil?

is there 12v on the positive side of the coil when the ignition is on?

skin
11th May 2008, 09:35 PM
yea i got 12v on that side just no negative pulse

so prob not the coil cause its not getting the trigger to do its job.

Dizzy ecu maybe?

how do i test these

slide86
11th May 2008, 10:13 PM
could be the igniter.

ive seen one of these fail on a 4age causing exactly the problem you are describing. I'm not sure how to test for pulse from the dizzy.

id try and get another coil and igniter assembly, plug it into your car and see if it starts. are you able to borrow one?

kazman
11th May 2008, 10:19 PM
Have you checked the alternator and the battery.
The alternator may have died and the battery may have only had enough to start it then sustain the engine for 5 mins.
Could be many reasons or a combination of them but alt and batt is where I'd start my checklist.

On another matter, I once bought a car that did the same as yours did.
The engine would not start afterwards.
After a long hard think, I wondered why the engine was so clean.
It turned out the seller ran a last minute degreaser job causing water to gather above the sparkies.
It was a simple matter of a blow out with a little denatured alcohol to get the car working fab.

Just added that to remind you some problems may seem really bad but can turn out to be really basic.
So don't get too disheartened at your new purchase.
Hope you get it all fixed buddy without too many dramas.

skin
11th May 2008, 10:43 PM
cheers man

well as for the battery its cranking the engine fast as, hasn't showed signs of dying yet

yea the wiring is a mess to, if i had wired it myself id know what was what etc lol

skin
12th May 2008, 07:52 PM
Ok so i went back tonight for anothe rlook

checked the main pins at the ecu

Earth pins are earthed, batter pins have battery

However this pin IGt i take by the information below (gathered from club4ag) is supposed to have a positive signal when the engine is firing.

Can anyone confirm this as this pin has no power on it.

IG t Black/Blue Igniter Assembly Ignition timing signal

The coil has ignition on both sides which I'm sure is how its supposed to be untill the distributor sends a negative signal to the negative side, which it is not doing.

I also have to work out why i no longer have fuel pump working, the circuit opening relay has a positive out put to the fuel pump when its cranking over but its still not operating/priming.

Ahh can anyone help me, I'm starting to think that a dizzy change is on the cards

Cheers

skin
12th May 2008, 07:55 PM
Also to add the previous owner said

wouldn't start, came back 2 weeks later started first time then died

This happened to him twice, waited another 2 weeks etc

Friggen cars

Nikkojoe
13th May 2008, 12:39 AM
The standard fuel pump circuit opening relay does not prime when you turn the ignition on. It only pumps fuel when you are cranking or the engine is running.

skin
13th May 2008, 08:48 AM
Yea realise that man :greenbounce:

Not even doing it off the start key atm but when i do hit start the relay is energizing and doing its job, its just not working, so must be at the pump somewhere.

biggo
13th May 2008, 10:18 AM
maybe go over every grounding wire you see?

i have to do this about every month :) stupid wires