PDA

View Full Version : snapped rear axel

350hp4agte
12th May 2008, 07:09 PM
hi.
ive jsut sold my s13 and am going to buy a sprinter. i have a few in mind i am looking to buy but have one which I'm reallly keen on cept it has a snapped rear axel. i jsut want to know what is involved in replacing an axel? and also where would i get an axel, anyone on here have an axel to fit a 1983 ae86.
any help would be much apppreciated
cheers!

riojin
12th May 2008, 07:18 PM
find out what rear diff it has. if its the original adm diff then just buy a whole new diff. the original adm diffs are worth next to nothing.

find out what rear diff it is and report back

zed x
12th May 2008, 07:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ May 12 2008, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=530046)</div>
find out what rear diff it has. if its the original adm diff then just buy a whole new diff. the original adm diffs are worth next to nothing.

find out what rear diff it is and report back[/b]

ok cheers. hmm i think i should have mentioned that this car is in sydnney and i live 4 hours north of sydney so i can't really do a major service on the car lol in the buyers yard.. but that also means towing the car all the way back will be a pain.

whhat does it take to replace a axel/ or replace a whole diff for that matter - what would replacing the diff do - wouldn't i still have a broken axel?

Konakid
12th May 2008, 07:23 PM
you can drive it home with a broken axle, no worries, then get it fixed!

zed x
12th May 2008, 07:26 PM
jsut rang old mate wif the sprinter..
its a s-series
hope that helps
thanks again

zed x
12th May 2008, 07:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meathead #2 @ May 12 2008, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=530052)</div>
you can drive it home with a broken axle, no worries, then get it fixed![/b]

yeah i asked him about that but he saiid over about 80km's it vibrates a fair bit and if its wet then starting on a hill is near impossible - jsut skids

zed x
12th May 2008, 08:27 PM
ey does anyone know if a t18 rear axel would fit it?

Konakid
12th May 2008, 08:48 PM
negative

zed x
12th May 2008, 09:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meathead #2 @ May 12 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=530113)</div>
negative[/b]

o shit. u sure???

i found this on the net

There is much discussion in sprinter circles about the advantages of upgrading from the stock Oz S-series to either a T18 or JDM T-series diff. One thing which gets mentioned regularly is that you will be getting bigger, stronger axles.

This is total rubbish. I checked in the shed this evening and a (small diameter) T-series axles fits both a T18 T centre and an AE86 S centre perfectly. The splines are the same. And it is here at the end of the splines that every broken axle I have seen has broken (imagine trying to disassemble your diff if it had broken elsewhere)

its off http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7385

Konakid
12th May 2008, 09:41 PM
Well there you go, they do fit, i always presumed the splines were different due to the axles being larger, but only the late model JDM T series have larger axles, ^^good thread that anyway!

pope
12th May 2008, 09:52 PM
yeah thats what ive learnt ey,
are sweet well looks like now i can borrow the axels off my mates t18 and go get my car haha
jsut roughly how much work is it to get a axel off
lol

zed x
12th May 2008, 10:48 PM
also whats a good price for a s series axel
$50 a rip or a deal?

Javal
12th May 2008, 11:11 PM
$50 is a decent price.

Jonny Rochester
13th May 2008, 12:01 AM
The T-18 axle (with bearing) will not fit in a S series diff, as the bearing is different.

Yes, the splines are the same.

The T-18 axle has bearings the same as Celica and Corona, and AE86 GT with drum brake.

The S series AE86 has smaller bearings the same as KE30 and AE95 and AE85.

You could probably use a T series axle in the S series diff if you put it in a lathe and make the diameter smaller where the bearing goes, and fit the S series bearings.

markiitourerv
13th May 2008, 12:22 AM
Just hang a complete t18 diff & rear half tailshaft in it and drive it home.

Is very easy to change with two blokes.

johl
13th May 2008, 01:38 AM
is it necessary to pull out the centre or anything when changing an axel? or is it just slide out the fucked one and slide in the new 1?

zed x
13th May 2008, 08:56 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ May 12 2008, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=530259)</div>
The T-18 axle (with bearing) will not fit in a S series diff, as the bearing is different.

Yes, the splines are the same.

The T-18 axle has bearings the same as Celica and Corona, and AE86 GT with drum brake.

The S series AE86 has smaller bearings the same as KE30 and AE95 and AE85.

You could probably use a T series axle in the S series diff if you put it in a lathe and make the diameter smaller where the bearing goes, and fit the S series bearings.[/b]

couldnt i jsut use a t-18 axel with the bearings that are on the ae86 now (t-18 axel with s-series bearings) why wouldn't u be able to if the t-18 and ae86 axels are the same? (read post in link above)

thanks heaps

MountainRunner
13th May 2008, 09:12 AM
to remove axle:

jack up car handbrake down remove drums then the 4 bolts that hidden behind

fit wheel again hammer the wheel out should pop out if that doesnt work a slide hammer will do it easy!

Gilly
13th May 2008, 09:38 AM
johl

drop the centre dude do you get all the broken shit out. if you let it float aound in there it will munt a CW&P easily

i wouldn't be driving that distance with a broken axle, i'd look to replace it or the entire diff, whatever is easiest mr #109.

Jonny Rochester
13th May 2008, 06:38 PM
I agree. If you have snapped an axle, you probably also have a locked diff. ANd you will need to remove the center to get all the broken bits out. I have done this before, but accidently still left a tiny bit of metal in there. Crown wheel and pinion gave a horrid noise after only 10km down the road.

I seriously doubt a T series axle will go into a S series diff, even if you changed the bearings. Because I suspect the inner diameter of the bearings is different. I suspect you would have to machine the axle to fix the smaller bearing.

Yes, I know the splines are the same. But the axle has many different diameters along its length. The 2 axles are not the same.

zed x
13th May 2008, 08:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ May 13 2008, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=530521)</div>
I agree. If you have snapped an axle, you probably also have a locked diff. ANd you will need to remove the center to get all the broken bits out. I have done this before, but accidently still left a tiny bit of metal in there. Crown wheel and pinion gave a horrid noise after only 10km down the road.

I seriously doubt a T series axle will go into a S series diff, even if you changed the bearings. Because I suspect the inner diameter of the bearings is different. I suspect you would have to machine the axle to fix the smaller bearing.

Yes, I know the splines are the same. But the axle has many different diameters along its length. The 2 axles are not the same.[/b]

yeah well ive jsut bought 2 s-series axles so all good as far as they go
but with a snapped axle, so its not jsut as easy as unbolting the snapped one, and bolting up a new one
the car is still drivable, but vibrates a bit over like 80kmph and skids 1 wheel very easy. wound this mean the diff is fine?

johl
14th May 2008, 02:43 AM
lol nah not driving all the way to ur house gilly. will use my daily. so for the average joe would this be a goer or should i get someone to look at the centre?

lowau
14th May 2008, 12:41 PM
Broken weld?

Vezza
15th May 2008, 01:35 AM
Seriously though, If you have the cash should just convert to a T-Series rearend. Instead of spending time and money on something thats going to get changed later on anyways.