View Full Version : Uprighting A Motor...

hugh
13th May 2008, 04:22 PM
Hey Guys,
I have heard a little about this and have searched around but can not find anything on the forums...Just wondering if anyone here knows about it, and a bit of learning for some of us.
I have heard about uprighting a motor as a modification. Apparently on some K engines, being 3k, 4k and in particular 5k, this can be one of the best modifications that you can do, power wise.
I don't quite understand exactly how this makes a difference, so any enlightening contributions would be great...
Johnny Rochester, I'm looking at you....

japlish
13th May 2008, 04:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hugh @ May 13 2008, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=530454)</div>
Hey Guys,
I have heard a little about this and have searched around but can not find anything on the forums...Just wondering if anyone here knows about it, and a bit of learning for some of us.
I have heard about uprighting a motor as a modification. Apparently on some K engines, being 3k, 4k and in particular 5k, this can be one of the best modifications that you can do, power wise.
I don't quite understand exactly how this makes a difference, so any enlightening contributions would be great...
Johnny Rochester, I'm looking at you....[/b]
best you go to rollaclub.com mate,
everyone here is a 4a humper :rolleyes:

driftke70
13th May 2008, 05:54 PM
i uprighted one once as it came out of the bay

Jonny Rochester
13th May 2008, 06:50 PM
I have not done this, but I have seen it done. Rather than work a K motor I went straight to a 2T-G.

The pistons themselves and the motor can be pointed in any dirrection, I don't think it makes any difference. Think about rotary piston motors of old air planes. And Horrizontal motors such as TCR10 Tarago, Subaru, VW etc.

The advantage of uprighting a K series motor, is that you gain extra room in the engine bay for big sidedraft carbies and a proper exhaust system. They are the 2 main thinks that limit a K series motor.

When you have uprighted the motor... Whatever carby you have has to sit on the angle it was designed to. A downdraft carby has to be near verticle, a sidedraft has to be roughly horrizontal, because it was designed like this with the fuel bowel and stuff. The oil pickup and sump will have to be modified. The gearstick may have to be bent on a different angle, and a different filler plug used on the gearbox.

Thats about it.

samuel
13th May 2008, 07:00 PM
LOL theres a heap of Uprighting info on Rollaclub

Some nerd just got shut down on there about his plans to upright too

hugh
13th May 2008, 07:04 PM
Yeah i know most people have 4a's on here, such as myself, but I've found lots of dckheads on rollaclub, and couldnt be fckd sifting through all the shit that they say for the one decent piece of info...
my mate has a 5k in his ke55, with twin side draught webbers and exhaust, but the engine isnt upright...wouldn't you have to mod the engine mounts as well as gearbox mounts??

Gullie
13th May 2008, 07:07 PM
mate, its NOT worth the hassle.

AR_AE86
16th May 2008, 11:23 PM
what do you want to know?
[attachment=25883:5kmotor.JPG]

biggo
16th May 2008, 11:35 PM
can you put bigger side drafts on?

samuel
17th May 2008, 12:03 AM
Tony? Is it you?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghecho @ May 16 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=532275)</div>
what do you want to know?
[attachment=25883:5kmotor.JPG][/b]

Biggo. DCOE40's are more than plenty for a K motor...

To the uninitiated, you're looking at the engine bay of a car that beats evos and wrx's at rally events :)

DRFTPG
17th May 2008, 12:32 AM
mmmmm thats what i want on my 4k!!!

AR_AE86
17th May 2008, 12:38 AM
Yehp its me.

AR_AE86
17th May 2008, 12:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggo @ May 16 2008, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=532288)</div>
can you put bigger side drafts on?[/b]

nothing looks as good as a good pair of Juggs

biggo
17th May 2008, 01:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggo @ May 16 2008, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=532288)</div>
can you put bigger side drafts on?[/b]

I was joking as you noted :D

still i say "DO IT"

quad 52's will do :)