PDA

View Full Version : Aircon recharge

Sanity Clause
14th May 2008, 06:35 AM
Has anyone recharged their aircon with the later non-Freon R134a gas?

If so, did you have to replace any parts, or is it just a matter of having the R12 removed and then recharged with R134a?

I read here ('index.php?act=findpost&pid=0') that the original fears that the gas would be incompatible with older systems were overdone.

Nikkojoe
14th May 2008, 12:51 PM
It will be ok, just make sure the system is retro-fitted. Basically all they do is change all seals/valves to be compatible with the new gas (though some dodgy places are lazy and just regas and say they retrofitted - you can change the seals yourself, just buy them from toyota i think).

samuel
14th May 2008, 02:10 PM
Heard of a few people going the LPG option :)

Supposed to be pretty good too

Sanity Clause
14th May 2008, 04:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nikkojoe @ May 14 2008, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=530865)</div>
It will be ok, just make sure the system is retro-fitted. Basically all they do is change all seals/valves to be compatible with the new gas (though some dodgy places are lazy and just regas and say they retrofitted - you can change the seals yourself, just buy them from toyota i think).[/b]

I'm not too familiar with aircon. Which seals need changing?

Sanity Clause
14th May 2008, 04:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nick @ May 14 2008, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=530907)</div>
Heard of a few people going the LPG option :)

Supposed to be pretty good too[/b]

I read that.

Sounds extremely dangerous to me. Any leaks, and no more hachi!

Nikkojoe
14th May 2008, 10:59 PM
Uh, any seal that can be replaced (such as all the seals on pipes/fittings etc) should be replaced.

There is a reason why lpg is not legal for ac use :P

Vezza
15th May 2008, 01:27 AM
Yeah.... but think of the money saved! Would only cost $1.20 to recharge the system... I wonder whether the $2000 government rebate on gas conversions would cover this... Hmmm I could possibly get $1998.80 back.