PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference

hilux08
14th May 2008, 06:24 PM
hey guys just wanted to see if anyone knew what the difference between a celica sa63 to a ra65/60 is besides the engine and some exterior stuff? rwd still i am guessing......cause thinkin abou one for a project since i can't find a sprinter atm.

cheers

Jonny Rochester
14th May 2008, 06:50 PM
RA60 is the older one that came first. They have a live rear axle similar to a RA40 celica or AE86. W57? series gearbox. And 21R motor with a carby. The pop up lights do not fully fold away, but fold back so you can still see the lights.

The later update versions, SA63 and RA65 had proper popup lights. And the rear suspension is independent. Depends on what your doing, you may even prefer the older live axle 5 link. The SA63 has a S series motor of course, a 1S or 2S or something with a little carby. Single cam. 2 litre I think. The RA65 had the big 2.4 litre 22R-E efi engine.

The notchback is ugly as, Ameerican styling influence there. The liftback is just like a AE86 but bigger.

pebbles
15th May 2008, 04:25 PM
yeah, id say very similar to an ra65 just with a different motor

i think they may have ra60 pop out headlights rather than ra65 popup ones

in terms of a project, if tis descent condish id say its worth it
i used to have an ra65, they are a fair bit bigger than a sprinter and definitly heavier,
they are longer and wider, so if your wanting to put a descent motor in one, think something with more torque than a 4age,
perhaps a 3sge, 18rg, or even 1gg,

what sort of project car do you want

anyway, 86 front suspension bits should suit it, shocks that will fit 86 struts will fit

id say the stock motor is pretty poo, not sure if it would be any better than the 21rc that came out in the ra60
a cheap upgrade would be getting the 22re out of an ra65 or rt142 corona, or even some hilux's

ps. sorry about the poorly set out post

slydar
15th May 2008, 04:49 PM
sa63s have a t series irs rear diff. 65s are F.

Intense
15th May 2008, 05:15 PM
sa63 looks identicle to the ra65 but yes they run a t-series IRS setup and have a 2s-c motor. Probbaly able to get more power out of this motor than a 22re because of the restrictive head the 22re has

Jonny Rochester
15th May 2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah, get a SA63 and make it 3S-GTE.

hilux08
15th May 2008, 05:56 PM
thanks everyone for the info. I want another 86 but havent found one yet. in the meantime of looking i found this sa63 and thought it might be a fun car with a 3s or 1jz maybe(but prob 3s). If its a got a s series motor in it already and a tseries diff, that would prob make it relatively easy to swap to a 3s and lsd.

Worth while? or hold out for a sprinter?

Intense
15th May 2008, 06:55 PM
hold out for a sprinter. They're only a few grand more and much much better cars

pebbles
15th May 2008, 07:30 PM
depends what u want in a car,
id rather a cool RA/SA with a 3sge than a sprinter with a 4age....

actually i don't know, but in my opinion they are both cool cars, you can probrably get more out of an 86 with less mods though, just the base model will cost more

and when i was talkin about putting the 22re in i didnt mean a built up one i just meant stock because they would have fair mroe power than a 2s standard. just as a budget upgrade if can get hands on a boonga ra65 or something

Intense
16th May 2008, 01:18 AM
I had an ra65 prior to my sprinter and rx7's and they aren't bad cars. You can do quite a lot to them if you research them a bit. But to slap a 3s in one actually takes a fair bit of work because all the 3s's except beams are fwd config. They are much harder to get performance parts from as far as bolt in items go but you can get stuff from other cars and chuck it on.

22re is a peice of crap. They have good torque but thats about it. Out of puff over 4500 rpm. 18r-g on the other hand is a decent motor and you can get half good power out of them too

sdm86
16th May 2008, 03:06 AM
just buy an ae71 spirit or a t18