PDA

View Full Version : radiator choice

gaz20v
17th May 2008, 09:59 AM
just a quick one, has anyone used one of the narrow honda civic radiators with a 4agze??

just want to know if it does the job sucessfully or not.

... edit, see below for what ive now done..

Clinton
17th May 2008, 10:04 AM
theres an excel one that has the same outlets that you need that comes with at least one thermo fan that is a proven setup. but any radiator with the same inlet and outlet would work

dr1ft-pig
17th May 2008, 10:07 AM
gareth son, i got an ae86 radiator

outlets perfect for gze

should fit into ae71 without too many problems

ae71
17th May 2008, 05:32 PM
don't forget to check the hight of a radiator when looking at the wreckers etc.. some are too tall.

s13 radiator is alloy, single core and just fits, not much clearance with the bonnet. that model excel rad it twin core. i went to a korean wreckers locally, and asked for that very radiator i believed it was from an X3 (?) and it was single core, he said he didnt know of any excel radiators that thee anything but.

you can also use a radiator with outlets on the wrong side, ive seen someone use 2 rubber elbows and a peice of stainless, also seen someone use a long flexable pipe, it from a u13 sr20det bluebird into a 4age ke70. its better to have the outlets on the correct side but its not essential. but as has already been said there are heaps of options, just as long as they fit. the tech-art (spelling) N2 86 (probaly about the highest budget and most competitive) uses a radiator from a tractor!

Delazy
17th May 2008, 06:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae71 @ May 17 2008, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=532546)</div>
the tech-art (spelling) N2 86 (probaly about the highest budget and most competitive) uses a radiator from a tractor![/b]

foto evidence?? seeing as techarts produce a range or radiators i find it hard to believe they wouldn't use there own products

sdm86
19th May 2008, 02:39 PM
s13 sr20DET radiator.

Gilly
19th May 2008, 03:21 PM
on the topic of the honda radiator it would have to be pretty thick to be effective. inlet and outlet might be on the wrong side but tis easy enough to get them moved, in fact its easy enough to get any non plastic tanked in/outlets moved.

are you contemplating the honda option to give space to suit cooler piping, just to save a bit of weight or other? merely curious.

iwas always led to beleive the ZE to be a engine that ran a little hooter than most of the other $A series engine s and therefor would aim for something larger not smaller than stock.

as a side not the KE radiators are not as wide as AE86 items but are quite thick and easily capable of keeping most 4A's cool, if i was running a GE i wouldn't bother switching from a stock KE70/AE71 radiator.

i'm using a landcruiser radiator which is wide like an 86 radiator but thick as a KE item. inlet and outlet are on the right side for the 4A as well ;)

70XIN
19th May 2008, 04:03 PM
farken.

i should read next time

gaz20v
19th May 2008, 10:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ May 19 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=533290)</div>
on the topic of the honda radiator it would have to be pretty thick to be effective. inlet and outlet might be on the wrong side but tis easy enough to get them moved, in fact its easy enough to get any non plastic tanked in/outlets moved.

are you contemplating the honda option to give space to suit cooler piping, just to save a bit of weight or other? merely curious.

iwas always led to beleive the ZE to be a engine that ran a little hooter than most of the other $A series engine s and therefor would aim for something larger not smaller than stock.

as a side not the KE radiators are not as wide as AE86 items but are quite thick and easily capable of keeping most 4A's cool, if i was running a GE i wouldn't bother switching from a stock KE70/AE71 radiator.

i'm using a landcruiser radiator which is wide like an 86 radiator but thick as a KE item. inlet and outlet are on the right side for the 4A as well ;)[/b]

yeah i was considering a narrow radiator to try squeeze the cooler pipes past without cutting the front panel, but after a bit of time looking in the bay i might have to go the cut out route anyways.

alternativly considering trying to squeeze both the cooler and radiator behind the support panel but unsure if theres enough space in front of the engine. Any one done this??

Gilly
19th May 2008, 10:34 PM
there is merit in mounting the radiator back in the bay as you suggested. easy with the ke/ae radiator as it is side mounted to the radiator support so would be easily spaced.

i'm actually doing the same thing in my AE86. the radiator will be mounted as far back as possible to free up space for cooler pipes.

the distance between the firewall and radiator support is greater in a 70/71 than it is in an 86, the 86 has a deeper nose though so there is plentiful space for an intercooler and little room behind a 70/71 (moreso 70)

heres a pic of my old 16v KE which shows the distance between radiator and front pulleys, not a ZE but the distance will be the same. obviously run a thermo to maximize the gap :)

gaz20v
19th May 2008, 10:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ May 19 2008, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=533568)</div>
there is merit in mounting the radiator back in the bay as you suggested. easy with the ke/ae radiator as it is side mounted to the radiator support so would be easily spaced.

i'm actually doing the same thing in my AE86. the radiator will be mounted as far back as possible to free up space for cooler pipes.

the distance between the firewall and radiator support is greater in a 70/71 than it is in an 86, the 86 has a deeper nose though so there is plentiful space for an intercooler and little room behind a 70/71 (moreso 70)

heres a pic of my old 16v KE which shows the distance between radiator and front pulleys, not a ZE but the distance will be the same. obviously run a thermo to maximize the gap :)[/b]

wow there looks like a good size gap there!! the bay in my 71 doesnt look that spacious, I guess cos of the massive shroud and clutch fan :P hmm, perhaps i cud try the ae71 radiator and see if it gets warm, maybe a decent size oil cooler would help??

either that or i cud try the ae102 radiator i took from the wreck the engine came from, although its quite wide.

thanks for the input too, all help is appreciated!!!

ke kid
20th May 2008, 01:53 PM
Ive got a VN V8 commodore radiator in my AE71 :P
Cross flow twin aluminium core and plastic tanks on the sides.
No overheating problems for me ;)

The only problem is the outlet is on the wrong side, so the pipe has to go all the way across the bottom <_<

It was brand new and free though... :2thumbs:

gaz20v
20th May 2008, 01:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke kid @ May 20 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=533849)</div>
Ive got a VN V8 commodore radiator in my AE71 :P
Cross flow twin aluminium core and plastic tanks on the sides.
No overheating problems for me ;)

The only problem is the outlet is on the wrong side, so the pipe has to go all the way across the bottom <_<

It was brand new and free though... :2thumbs:[/b]

haha can't go wrong with free!!

Ksevn-T
21st May 2008, 12:46 AM
What radiator (with thermo fan) would transplant directly into a KE70 with little to no mod? I went to pick-a-part but couldnt figure out which one to buy. I also noticed there was ke70 (flat front) with water pump, which my KE doesnt have. Is there much more advantage having one?

Thanks,

Alex

ke kid
21st May 2008, 05:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ksevn-T @ May 20 2008, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=534294)</div>
I also noticed there was ke70 (flat front) with water pump, which my KE doesnt have. Is there much more advantage having one?[/b]

Ah, yeah the advantages are that water gets pumped through your engine! :blink:
That help ya?

Ksevn-T
22nd May 2008, 01:23 AM
Well OBVIOUSLY!

Ksevn-T
22nd May 2008, 01:23 AM
Well OBVIOUSLY!

(oops!, double post. Sorry)

gaz20v
24th June 2008, 11:10 PM
thought i mite give an update, have fitted the gze. below is pics of the radiator/cooler setup, i know the cooler is too big for the gze but its what came with the car i wrecked for the engine, and will be fine for when I turbo it. and yes.. the top cooler mounts have been ground down since the photo's. Its quite tight but from radiator to the bottom pulley gives 80mm clearance, with a slim thermo it will be the goods.

the reason i have squeezed it all in is to get away from having an easily visible intercooler, plus it reduces pipe lengths and means no massive holes in the rad support panel.

orange32
24th June 2008, 11:19 PM
looks good. To maximise the efficiency, try and make some sort of shroud/ducting that goes from the top radiator support to the top of the radiator (sides as well).

As air takes the easiest path, theres bound to be a lot of air missing the core on the way through.

Out of interest, was that radiator designed for an ae86?
It looks absolutely identical to a nissan RB20 radiator i used to use in my R32.

gaz20v
24th June 2008, 11:32 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking, to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, make a stainless shroud that covers the cooler and holds in the radiator using the pins on the top. Yeah I believe it is a rb or ca type radiator, bought it from import auto parts, outlets are on the correct side and fits under the bonnet (just :P) with heaps of surface area. Just hoping the cooler doesnt drain away its efficiency.

Gilly
25th June 2008, 12:36 AM
that setup looks really neat

its a bitch trying to get an intercooler in the nose of a 70 as well so you've made that job easier :)

you haven't had to cut any steel from the rad suport too and the pipework will be shorter (like you said)

that radiator is pretty big, even with the cooler blocking most of the surface area it should still prove efficient based on its size. shrouding will definately help.

props dude i really like what you've done there

gaz20v
25th June 2008, 12:58 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ Jun 24 2008, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=551957)</div>
that setup looks really neat

its a bitch trying to get an intercooler in the nose of a 70 as well so you've made that job easier :)

you haven't had to cut any steel from the rad suport too and the pipework will be shorter (like you said)

that radiator is pretty big, even with the cooler blocking most of the surface area it should still prove efficient based on its size. shrouding will definately help.

props dude i really like what you've done there[/b]

cheers mate, was thinkin for a while it wouldn't fit up, but now its coming together.

Next annoyance will be getting the supercharger outlet to point towards the cooler inlet, i bought a rwd converted manifold kit but it is not in a good enough posi, gunna have to have it shortened and straightened, by my estimates the total cooler pipe length will be near on 1- 1.1 metres. although all efficiency of the short pipes may be lost in the 450x300x76 cooler??

Roo
25th June 2008, 11:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gaz20v @ Jun 24 2008, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=551969)</div>
cheers mate, was thinkin for a while it wouldn't fit up, but now its coming together.

Next annoyance will be getting the supercharger outlet to point towards the cooler inlet, i bought a rwd converted manifold kit but it is not in a good enough posi, gunna have to have it shortened and straightened, by my estimates the total cooler pipe length will be near on 1- 1.1 metres. although all efficiency of the short pipes may be lost in the 450x300x76 cooler??[/b]
450x300x76 is the same size i just brought from my 4agze, its a good size not to big not too small

i mounted it the same way you but i got a different radiator and 2 big thermo that come really close to the fan belt

are them silicon hoses 3inch to 2inch? how much were they? and where you get them from?

cheers

gaz20v
28th June 2008, 02:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roo @ Jun 25 2008, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=552484)</div>
450x300x76 is the same size i just brought from my 4agze, its a good size not to big not too small

i mounted it the same way you but i got a different radiator and 2 big thermo that come really close to the fan belt

are them silicon hoses 3inch to 2inch? how much were they? and where you get them from?

cheers[/b]

yeah my thermo is damn close to the pulleys, but fits none the less. The silicone off the cooler are 3inch to 2 inch reducer bends, they cost me about $85 delivered for the pair, got them off ebay, skracing i think the estore is called.

ill put up pics of the finished product later, so far all the piping is completed, came to pretty spot on 1m of pipe. I just have to pretty up the shroud that holds the top of the radiator in.