PDA

View Full Version : tacho not working

zed x
19th May 2008, 09:26 AM
hi guys i bought a sprinter yesterday woot

but the tacho doesnt work so I'm jsut on here trying to find out some possible cause's it isnt working

it has a 20v silvier top in it.

it dooesnt move at all.. is there a fuse or something that often breaks in these tachos?

if you guys could throw me some ideas whatit could bbe so i can go check them out
thanks

Jonny Rochester
19th May 2008, 09:58 AM
There is a recent thread about this.

From memory the tacho wire from the microtech is white. You will of course also have to find the tacho wire to the gauge.

If you conect these wires up, and still nothing happens... read some more in other threads about using a resistor or something.

Also, how many coils is your engine using?

zed x
19th May 2008, 10:46 AM
hoqw many coils? um you tell me.. lol

i have no idea as ive only been in the 'world of sprinters' for about 2 weeks lol and have only owned one for um.. 16 hours lol

its has a 20 valve silver top... and on the list of mods done to it it didnt mention anything about more/less coils so yeah???

zed x
19th May 2008, 12:59 PM
http://www.rollamods.com/tech/ae86gzetacho.pdf

can anyone confirm that i just need to follow this and my tacho will start working?

biggo
19th May 2008, 01:14 PM
you don't have a gze so no.

how bout you just buy an aftermarket tacho? easy way around a problem :)

Nikkojoe
19th May 2008, 01:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (#109 @ May 19 2008, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=533200)</div>
hoqw many coils? um you tell me.. lol

i have no idea as ive only been in the 'world of sprinters' for about 2 weeks lol and have only owned one for um.. 16 hours lol

its has a 20 valve silver top... and on the list of mods done to it it didnt mention anything about more/less coils so yeah???[/b]

You don't have to be in the 'world of sprinters' to know how many coils you run. Go do some research on your setup (possibly ask the previous owner) and then tell us how many coils you have, then we can be of help.

verm69
19th May 2008, 03:20 PM
first off... welcome to 86DC dude :)

ok... so coils... they are pretty much what give your spark plug leads power to give to the spark plugs to spark... or a modern day distributer in some cases... in a GZE set up they look like this...

[attachment=25917:coils.JPG]

see if you can find anything similar under the hood and let us know if you have 1, 2 or 4... :2thumbs:

pretty much follow your spark plug leads and see whats on the end of them... i'm not very good with 20v setups so i'm not really sure how they work, but i would imagine if it has a dizzy it would be attached to the end of the lead that comes from the middle of the cap? yes?

zed x
19th May 2008, 06:01 PM
yeah thatnks man
um its got 4... so now what :(

zed x
19th May 2008, 09:15 PM
ok ok
well i found the wiring diagram for my microtech LT8 and it says thhe tacho wire is blue/grey

http://www.microtech-efi.com/downloads/27.pdf

so now all i need to do is find the colour of the wire for the tacho on the dash and wire the 2 wires together yeah?

zed x
19th May 2008, 11:10 PM
o and can anyone tell me whats behind the cluster of a ae86
is it just a wiring loom with 100 wires tangled together (making the tacho wire a bitch to find)

help please:)

Nikkojoe
19th May 2008, 11:16 PM
your running 4 coils where as factory would be single. Not sure what output the microtech's would give but I'm pretty sure you just can't connect the wires up and expect it to work properly.

I'm pretty sure there is another way around it though.

zed x
21st May 2008, 07:53 PM
well does anyone on here know how too fix the problem? :(

riceburner
21st May 2008, 08:25 PM
id like the answer on this 2... been driving around for 1 yr with no tacho... got a wolf3d and no dizzy (4 Indv coils)

wouldn't mind a project for saturday morning!

biggo
21st May 2008, 11:15 PM
umm aftermarket tacho?

zed x
22nd May 2008, 11:05 AM
yes well i would much rather have the stock tacho working then an aftermarket one.

i can't believe no one on here knows a way of hooking up their stock tacho to a aftermarket ecu???

could someone explain why ii can't jsut hook up the tacho to the microtech tacho output wire?

verm69
22nd May 2008, 11:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ May 19 2008, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=533188)</div>
There is a recent thread about this.

From memory the tacho wire from the microtech is white. You will of course also have to find the tacho wire to the gauge.

If you conect these wires up, and still nothing happens... read some more in other threads about using a resistor or something.

Also, how many coils is your engine using?[/b]

do what jonny said... see if it works... if it doesn't, figure something out! :P

and we're not microtech pro's here... we just know 4ag's and how they work

head over to the forum on http://www.microtechefi.com/ and ask on there if you really can't figure it out...