PDA

View Full Version : 1:1 RC AE86

Blood Child
20th May 2008, 07:22 PM
with a family on the way my sprinter won't be getting nearly as much use, so i got to thinking.

maybe i should sell it? hells no! nobody would buy it for anything close to half of what it owes me.

give it away? i don't like anybody that much.

my friend just picked up a minty silvia and decided to stick a nice alarm etc. system in it, which happens to include a remote ignition function.
i thought it would be really cool to get some kind of remote ignition system for my car, then my mind wandered.
what if when i remotely started my car, i could then go on to move it, maybe even drive it a little?
OMG I AM WILL BE THE FUTURE!

anyhow, i was just wondering if such things are possible, and if so, how to go about gathering the necessary equipment to make it all happen (not to mention how to go about figuring out exactly what the necessary equipment is).

any hints or infos would be appreciated.

meadan
20th May 2008, 07:27 PM
i think mythbusters did this once.

or some other show on the discovery channel did I'm sure.

seek
20th May 2008, 07:27 PM
it would be hilarious if you drove it out of its signal range, have fun stoping a 1 tonne, out of control object :P

ontopic... to do it properly will set you back alot of money (this is, assuming you want you to have full remote functionality.. driving etc)

such things are possible, but the question begs to be answered, "why?"

wiltoi
20th May 2008, 07:39 PM
Guess you could always buy a cheap remote door lock system and wire the trigger wire for the unlock to a relay somehow, but you'd probably have to fool around getting the delay on holding it in the start position, I'm too lazy to do that though, so I'm just getting the proper alarm put in the Silvia, since insurance wants it all immobilized and harder to steal. :greenbounce:

steroidchickens
20th May 2008, 07:43 PM
i don't understand your post. are you talking about a remote start alarm? if so i install like 3 of these a week?

sleeprVLT
20th May 2008, 07:44 PM
If you could get it to work, you couldnt do it suburban, you couldnt do it anywhere near anything really incase something goes wrong.
& i know that if i was out in the middle of nowhere with a sprinter, id have more fun IN the car? lol

Blood Child
20th May 2008, 07:50 PM
it was mythbusters. they did it with their rocket car and one or two others so they wouldn't die. the top gear guys also did it for their amusement at one point.

i would like it to be able to start, drive, turn and stop. obviously with some type of default braking should loss of signal occur. if gear changing would be possible, that would be rather handy also.

the question from my perspective is 'why not?'.

Blood Child
20th May 2008, 07:56 PM
not for road use by any means. i was thinking like you said, for a bit of amusement in the middle of nowhere or perhaps an empty carpark or something.

and steroidchickens, my vision is of maximum remote control functionality whilst standing a safe distance away. like a full size version of a little rc car.

steroidchickens
20th May 2008, 07:56 PM
i understand now.

that would be dangerous haha.

it hurts enough when a petrol RC car hits you in the ankle.

Jonny Rochester
20th May 2008, 07:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MW0JG9gnTM

Thats a SV11 Camry made remote control a few years ago. Automatic of course. I have only seen it done with autos.

Don't waste a AE86.

Jonny Rochester
20th May 2008, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPFW8zU0jRo...feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPFW8zU0jRo&feature=related)

And this video is not related in any way.

DAMO46
20th May 2008, 08:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steroidchickens @ May 20 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=534047)</div>
i don't understand your post. are you talking about a remote start alarm? if so i install like 3 of these a week?[/b]

i didnt get it at the start either..

it would be coold though

Blood Child
20th May 2008, 08:17 PM
it would indeed be quite dangerous, and best kept a long way from anyone's ankles.

thank you jonny. i see that something with auto transmission would be in order. purposeful destruction wasn't exactly what i had in mind, but from that video i see that it would be quite easy to get carried away and end up destroying the vehicle.
i assume that i would need to set up some type of pneumatics to control the steering and perhaps the braking, while a fairly simple servo setup should cover acceleration.

i think the ideal plan of action would be to get all the components together and working while i keep an eye out for a suitable vehicle.

if anybody knows anything about what kind of gear i would need to control a setup like this please let me know.

Jonny Rochester
20th May 2008, 08:25 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/minis_n_oatcakes/images/Mr%20Bean%20mini%201.jpg

How remote does it have to be?

Marco
20th May 2008, 08:27 PM
yeah mythbusters did it and top gear found out about people that race them in the desert. Quite an interseting theory actualy but i wonder wouldn't it be funna just to spend the money on buying a 1:5th scale or a half scale rc car haha.

Blood Child
20th May 2008, 08:32 PM
bahahahaha! i love the mr. bean idea, but i'd just hate to get my broom head stuck under the brake pedal.

federal
20th May 2008, 09:14 PM
...you can attain most of the required parts from an electric wheelchair...and no i am not joking...

wheels and motors can be used to control steering, accelerator and brakes...

car would need to be auto tho....

all you would need to do is sort out the transmitting/receiving side of things.....

Konakid
20th May 2008, 09:24 PM
that would take out all the fun of the car, youd get bored after 5 minutes!

HachiRoku
20th May 2008, 09:25 PM
I could be trippin' but I think Top Gear did this too. It was Clarkson and May versus some little girl who was a pro at it. I think they were out in the desert somewhere doing jumps 'n shit with them. I believe the cars they used, were automatics.

Lol, I scroll up and that's been mentioned like twice already.

Anyway, here is the one with the girl: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IzD5OIB2AbU

And here's another Top Gear take on remote control cars: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-o7N_tZddXo

kazman
20th May 2008, 10:20 PM
Add a large black antenna, install a dog-box and cover your AE86 with large Tamiya stickers.
The car would look and sound like a large RC.