PDA

View Full Version : How would this work?

DAMO46
22nd May 2008, 03:36 AM
How would this work? (eg. where would it fit, or sit and gather air?)

Anyone every seen or fitted one?

Whats the mounting process?

http://item.express.ebay.com/INJEN-SHORT-R...cmdZExpressItem (http://item.express.ebay.com/INJEN-SHORT-RAM-INTAKE-85-97-TOYOTA-COROLLA-GTS-AE86_W0QQitemZ180243154173QQihZ008QQcmdZExpressIte m)

slydar
22nd May 2008, 07:42 AM
its an intake pipe. it works like a pipe.

ke70dave
22nd May 2008, 08:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slydar @ May 22 2008, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=534931)</div>
its an intake pipe. it works like a pipe.[/b]

you mean like a tube?

cause thats how the internet works, a series of tubes...

quadeyquade
22nd May 2008, 09:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ May 22 2008, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=534936)</div>
you mean like a tube?

cause thats how the internet works, a series of tubes...[/b]

I might get one, my car needs some internets :D :D :D

monkae86
22nd May 2008, 09:51 AM
lol internet

verm69
22nd May 2008, 10:53 AM
is the interbutts really a series of tubes?

DAMO46
22nd May 2008, 03:49 PM
thanks for the dribble..

verm69
22nd May 2008, 05:13 PM
lulz!

dude... it's just a pipe with an injen sticker and a filer on the end... all it's going to do is put the intake in a bit if a cooler place, it's not going to add 1000hp to the car. you may notice a bit of a better response, but that'll just be from the filter

make one... save you some ca$h

or better yet, get some ag pipe and put it at the bottom of your front par and point it at your intake... if you don't think it works, get a mate to blow air in one end, and put your hand in front of the other... it actually does work!

Toy-Yoda
23rd May 2008, 01:21 AM
I'm sorry, ram intake? :huh:

And $172 US + postage? :!roflmao: ......

Possibly the one ram air kit that's the least likely to work that I've ever seen........ And I've made some bloody dodgey ones........

If there isn't a funnel of some sort on the end of the pipe (preferably pointing forward), you can't force air into it....... All that thing is going to do is suck air from a different place than it originally would....... And cost you a damn sight more than it should.....

Don't bother. (n)

*Edit* In answer to your original question: It wouldn't work. Well, it wouldn't work as it's name implies it would, but for an intake pipe, I'm sure it's very nice and pretty and stuff (those stickers make a world of difference, hey?), but you could make something just as effective for $SFA.

Klutch
23rd May 2008, 01:30 AM
Whats this "internet" you guys speak of?

quadeyquade
23rd May 2008, 01:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Klutch @ May 22 2008, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=535445)</div>
Whats this "internet" you guys speak of?[/b]

Its Serious Business

Konakid
23rd May 2008, 02:02 AM
many lols!

You could get the same effect by spraying a piece of PVC pipe chrome and slapping a 19.99 autobahn filter on the end.

DAMO46
23rd May 2008, 02:21 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeRm69 @ May 22 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=535147)</div>
lulz!

dude... it's just a pipe with an injen sticker and a filer on the end... all it's going to do is put the intake in a bit if a cooler place, it's not going to add 1000hp to the car. you may notice a bit of a better response, but that'll just be from the filter

make one... save you some ca$h

or better yet, get some ag pipe and put it at the bottom of your front par and point it at your intake... if you don't think it works, get a mate to blow air in one end, and put your hand in front of the other... it actually does work![/b]

DUDE did i say i wanted 1000hp did i mention what increase it would have in any factor??

NO, i asked if anyone has ever fitted one cause i see that design of piping not really going anywhere to pick up a whole lot of air..

That pipe with an injen sticker does make a whole lot of a difference don't know about 4age but on my dc5r it added 6.4kw, and now jdm yard guarentee +5kw!!

So injen would obviously spend time engineering this intake, yet iam questioning this as the ebayer might be mistaken or wants to make money as the part is wrong.

DAMO46
23rd May 2008, 02:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slydar @ May 22 2008, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=534931)</div>
its an intake pipe. it works like a pipe.[/b]

very helpful thankyou if it wasnt for you id be the same place i started

DAMO46
23rd May 2008, 02:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toy-Yoda @ May 23 2008, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=535441)</div>
I'm sorry, ram intake? :huh:

And $172 US + postage? :!roflmao: ......

Possibly the one ram air kit that's the least likely to work that I've ever seen........ And I've made some bloody dodgey ones........

If there isn't a funnel of some sort on the end of the pipe (preferably pointing forward), you can't force air into it....... All that thing is going to do is suck air from a different place than it originally would....... And cost you a damn sight more than it should.....

Don't bother. (n)

*Edit* In answer to your original question: It wouldn't work. Well, it wouldn't work as it's name implies it would, but for an intake pipe, I'm sure it's very nice and pretty and stuff (those stickers make a world of difference, hey?), but you could make something just as effective for $SFA.[/b]

Unless you have acessible facilities that you can make on piece alloy piping from then thats good.

If not and many are in the same boat as me, this is priced fairly.

And no its not the stickers like i said before if this pipe does fit a ae86 4age then it would be engineered as i said with my dc5r it cost me $495 new and that made a hell of a lot of difference added 6.4kw.Best bang for my buck!
Tuner garages recomend for dc5r this is your bang for your buck so i can't justify why wouldn't be for your ae86 4age unless someones tried one and had no difference, then a normal pod.

Benno
23rd May 2008, 08:18 AM
i fail to see how $495 for 6.4kw is Bang-for-buck, thats $77 per KW, but any way. it's not a ram intake, from the angle of the pipe it probably drops down through the left-front guard, not really somewhere i'd like to suck air from, especially if it rains. i doubt you'll see the same gains as your dc5r but the price seems reasonable(if you can't make one yourself)

verm69
23rd May 2008, 11:44 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (damo46 @ May 22 2008, 02:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=534923)</div>
How would this work? (eg. where would it fit, or sit and gather air?)

Anyone every seen or fitted one?

Whats the mounting process?

http://item.express.ebay.com/INJEN-SHORT-R...cmdZExpressItem (http://item.express.ebay.com/INJEN-SHORT-RAM-INTAKE-85-97-TOYOTA-COROLLA-GTS-AE86_W0QQitemZ180243154173QQihZ008QQcmdZExpressIte m)[/b]

ok then... a serious answer...

1: It works by sucking air through a pipe... it goes on the end or your inlet manifold. by the shape of the pipe, it looks like they expect you to cut a hole and the air filter will sit in front of your wheel

2: i have never seen one fitted in Australia... in America on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me to find someone stupid enough to buy this and use it. they love pointless shiny shit like this.

3: It looks as though it comes with 2 silicon fittings for either end of the pipe, and it has a tab on it that i would expect would like up with an existing hole to keep it steady

the low down: if you really want to spend $172USD on 5 extra kw because the cold air filter doesn't sit in the engine bay, go for it... IMO, get a hks adjustable cam gear for your intake if you don't all ready have one... it will give you far better bang for buck

JinxD
23rd May 2008, 11:33 PM
il do said mod for you for $100 , hows that?

ke70dave
24th May 2008, 12:32 AM
100$? little steap!

get your self some of this stuff

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/668/picture007ga9.jpg

and attach a 50$ pod filter to the other end of it.

run it down beside your radiator where its got some nice coolish air coming in.

not as pretty as that crazy looking piece of pipe, but I'm sure you could find some much nicer looking tube. and all you will need is a stanly knife to cut the pipe, and a screwdriver to do up the hose clamps.

and for those playing at home ----> Internet explained (wait till the end) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99PcP0aFNE)

deleta
24th May 2008, 12:55 AM
dude, i could make a replica of that at work for 50$ max including labor, its 2 ally bends with a bit of stright one peace of silicone and a air filter.

your much better off not bothering, and i can garentee you would never feel the diferance between 60 and 65 kw

:)

Toy-Yoda
24th May 2008, 01:47 AM
I didn't say it wouldn't work on an AE86, it just might, I don't know, and I have no interest in finding out........ The point of my post was to try and explain that it's advertised as a "Ram Intake" which it clearly isn't........

Also, $172 US plus postage (they say from America to Canada is another $50 US, so I'll be nice and go with that) 172+50=222, so $222.

The current exchange rate (as of 5 minutes ago) is $1 US = $1.03961 AU....... So 222 X 1.03961 = 230.79342
Basically, you're saying you are prepared to pay in excess of $230 (allowing for international freight and insurance) for a pretty pipe that nets you 6.4Kw in a DC5R, which is a Honda Integra if I'm correct. What works on a strung-out vtec whippersnipper motor may not have the same effect on a older, less efficient, but ultimately more reliable, Toyota engine, which means a probable increase of less than 5Kw.

Unless you're abnormally hyper sensitive to how a DC5R "feels", you wouldn't try to tell us that you could feel a difference in performance/weight transfer between driving around with just you in the car,and driving around with just you in the car + the 4 liters of milk you just bought at the shops(assuming you had exactly the same amount of fuel onboard at the time), so why say 6.4Kw is a "huge difference"?

The only way that 6.4Kw is a "huge difference" is if you started the day with 0Kw......

We all know you're not after 1000 horsepower, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about an overpriced filter with a free tube and stickers thrown in for a 4AGE, would you? :confused:
Let alone raving about a pipe that gives an Integra +6Kw..........

Listen to what everyone has hinted at or outright said at some point -------> Waste of money, you can get something just as good INSIDE australia for a whole lot cheaper than that.......It's basically just bling, it's pretty, but not overly useful in the long run.
Save the money, build one yourself, easy.