PDA

View Full Version : knock and creeking noise from diff.

eightsixboy
23rd May 2008, 11:41 AM
I bought a t-series of ajps and installed it a couple of weeks ago, i put new oil in it, new centre bearing and balanced the tailshaft.

It was fine for a week but now there is this creek when you take of and when you reverse. it like a knock and a creek at the same time if that makes sense. Sometimes it'll knock then creek a couple of times.

There like no noise when driving, no knocking or anything its just when you take off or when stopping.

I have checked, and re checked all bolts, swaped diff centre's over and its still there. The only thing i can think of it maybe because i had to shave the rhs axle it might be interfering with something in the diff.

A mate said it sounds like its coming from the drums but it sounds like something is tapping the floor, or a moving control arm.

Any ideas?

riceburner
23rd May 2008, 03:45 PM
Could be anything really.

Since you say only when stopping or taking off id lean towards loose 4link bolt, tailshaft center bearing, swaybar mounts and bolts.

Keep searching, process of elimination really.

amulday
23rd May 2008, 03:57 PM
+1 for loose 4 link bolts, had a similar noise recently, got under there and both upper and lower 4 links on the right hand side were pretty loose.

Gilly
23rd May 2008, 08:13 PM
first thing that came to mind was loose trailing arm bolt.

driftke70
23rd May 2008, 08:20 PM
mine creaks after some hard driving, the 4 links must get hot or something.

Marco
24th May 2008, 01:23 AM
yeah sounds like 4 link or trailing arm trailing arm was first thing that came to mind for me

RobertoX
24th May 2008, 10:02 AM
When you installed it did you torque up the trailing arm bolts at ride height or with the diff hanging down? The bushes can creak when they slip around if twisted too much. When I put a housing in I jack it up into normal ride height without springs and then do up the trailing arm bolts...

driftke70
26th May 2008, 11:19 PM
ie tighten them up with the car supported by the diff or on the ground, not by the chassis.