PDA

View Full Version : 4age timing issue/ lack of power

stanzzza
23rd May 2008, 11:52 PM
hi all

i had it running fine then after a few days of me not using it and a long arsed drive into the hills the next day i had this drama.

ign timing is mass advanced say 30degs-40degs , i trip it into diag mode it stays the same (random used to work fine) i retard the timing back to 10degs, dizzy's maxed out retarded,

ok i take it for a drive, near on impossable to take off any were below 2.5krmps and fark all torque and dosnt like to rev.
if i advance the timing by ear till it pings then back it off it run's some what better but still very lacking

i checked the cam timing , have taken the dizzy in and out over 30 times to check it's in right

checked the ecu fault codes nothing bar o2 sencor which i allready new was screwed,

have replaced the dizzy,new inlet manifold,new plugs,rotor/boten,leads
the map sencor works fine if un pluged the engine dies straight away,

So what can it be???

ohh and the engine is a 4age bp with jap loom and ecu and for some strange reason it's like it's stuck in diag mode , when i brige it it does nothing and when i de-brige it does the same nothing .

biggo
24th May 2008, 12:30 AM
are the inlet/exhaust cams upside down? (180deg out)

riceburner
24th May 2008, 01:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (131-sam @ May 23 2008, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=535871)</div>
hi all

i had it running fine then after a few days of me not using it and a long arsed drive into the hills the next day i had this drama.

ign timing is mass advanced say 30degs-40degs , i trip it into diag mode it stays the same (random used to work fine) i retard the timing back to 10degs, dizzy's maxed out retarded,

ok i take it for a drive, near on impossable to take off any were below 2.5krmps and fark all torque and dosnt like to rev.
if i advance the timing by ear till it pings then back it off it run's some what better but still very lacking

i checked the cam timing , have taken the dizzy in and out over 30 times to check it's in right

checked the ecu fault codes nothing bar o2 sencor which i allready new was screwed,

have replaced the dizzy,new inlet manifold,new plugs,rotor/boten,leads
the map sencor works fine if un pluged the engine dies straight away,

So what can it be???

ohh and the engine is a 4age bp with jap loom and ecu and for some strange reason it's like it's stuck in diag mode , when i brige it it does nothing and when i de-brige it does the same nothing .[/b]

Its your timing, you have either jumped teeth on the cams (90% probably the problem) or the crank timing pulley is rooted and has skipped.

Start from scratch, check cams, crank position, reinstall the dizzy, then double check your leads are on the dizzy the correct way.

slide86
24th May 2008, 02:29 AM
have you checked the cams and crank are timed correctly?

the belt may have stretched and skipped a tooth

if your retarding the dizzy all the way and its still to far advanced then the exhaust cam at least has moved foward a tooth

stanzzza
25th May 2008, 04:45 AM
ok installed a new dizzy turned out the other one was faulty,

timing is ok now , checked the cam timing sevral times it's ok

but the problem still is there, when the timing is set to 10degs it's near on impossable to drive or take off and it's slower then a 4k and for some reason it's stuck in diag mode still for example : set ign timing with t and e1 terminals briged, set timing to 10degs, lock off the dizzy bolts turn engine off disconnect e1 and T ,start engine still reads 10degs ? it should be reading 16degs

which lead me to think it's stuck in diag mode / limp mode

could it be the tps? or does not having a o2 sensor really that bad?

i noticed when i jacked the timing to like 20deg-30degs advanced it run a hell of a lot better but still retained a flat spot between 2k rpm and 5krpm and still fairly down on power not so bad up high but still :blink:

wth03
30th May 2008, 08:52 PM
if all the basic checks are done, and can't even find the problem.

then go a bit futher, check compression and cylinder leak down check.
sometime when the valves are leaking, advance the time will give u a bit of power back.

but does it sound normal when u set the timing back to standard?

stanzzza
30th May 2008, 08:54 PM
fixed the drama

it's all good now,

SH35HD
4th June 2008, 04:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stanzzza @ May 30 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=539037)</div>
fixed the drama

it's all good now,[/b]

Whats was the issue?

I'm having similar symtons as your car did.