PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette Adaptor not working?

li21
25th May 2008, 11:45 PM
Hi all

Does anyone's cigaretta adaptor acutally work? (charge phones and stuff)

I've tried 2 actual parts and they still don't work.

I get light in the cig adaptor tunel which says to me theres power going through, but it wont charge any phones or get hot when you push the cap in.

Any ideas ?

cheers

rthy
25th May 2008, 11:48 PM
while what your saying about the light meaning power is a very logical assumption would you beleive it isnt the case?

The light comes off the same circuit as the rest of the dash lights and hence can be on when your fuse for the actual socket is poped. Okay now for starters check the fuse pannel thats in the right kick panel and see if its blown. You could also poke your cigarete socket with a test light or screwdriver.

li21
26th May 2008, 12:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ May 25 2008, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=536631)</div>
while what your saying about the light meaning power is a very logical assumption would you beleive it isnt the case?

The light comes off the same circuit as the rest of the dash lights and hence can be on when your fuse for the actual socket is poped. Okay now for starters check the fuse pannel thats in the right kick panel and see if its blown. You could also poke your cigarete socket with a test light or screwdriver.[/b]

Thanks.. I checked my fuse panel already, but will check again anyhow.. ive been getting quite a few blown fuses lately, but I'm pretty sure ive changed all of them.

I don't have one of those lights to test, but how does the screw driver trick work? is that dangerous at all?

rthy
26th May 2008, 01:18 AM
like shorting it? I don't like that

I sujest a $5 test light

rthy
26th May 2008, 01:19 AM
oh I forgot to say sometimes the wire clip/lug comes off the back of the socket and you lose power. But my memory is rusty

li21
26th May 2008, 09:09 PM
Still no luck..
checked the back ends of the 2 units i have and still no good

even went and bought a replacement fuse even though the old one is still good.. still no luck. Gotta get me a light pen :)

rthy
27th May 2008, 06:34 PM
ok grab yourself a cheap multimeter, a $10 one from Jaycar is fine. First push the multimeters black lead onto a bolt on the body (door hinges are also good) the put the red positive onto the center pin of your cig socket. You should get 12V with your engine off and accesories on. If you get that then take a running lead from the positive wire on your multimeter and take it to the positive on the battery, they put your negative wire on your shell of your socket and see if you get +12V again.

Roku_70
27th May 2008, 06:57 PM
just quit smoking... it is cheaper

blair
27th May 2008, 07:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jamie @ May 27 2008, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=537467)</div>
just quit smoking... it is cheaper[/b]

wants to charge his phone bud...

Roku_70
27th May 2008, 08:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blair @ May 27 2008, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=537482)</div>
wants to charge his phone bud...[/b]

its a joke mate :confused:

li21
27th May 2008, 08:46 PM
Mutilmetre it is! Gotta get me one of those sooner of later!

its a welcome joke Jamie, good one:)