PDA

View Full Version : torrents - how to make them fast, good search engines to use....blah blah

slide86
26th May 2008, 03:01 AM
i thought it might be an idea to have a sort of torrent discussion.

i recently got into torrents. i know its not the most ethical thing.....but what is now days.

anyways, if you have any tips to share bout downloading or you know any good search sites, post em up

i use mininova.com and isohunt.com and I'm using Utorrent.

i have set up port fowarding on my wireless net work for some more speed. sometimes i can get upto 130kb/s but mostly is round 40-70

whats other peoples experiences?

kazman
26th May 2008, 03:05 AM
If you like anime then animesuki.com is great.

hatzo
26th May 2008, 03:35 AM
Not to be a smart Arse but.

Lifted from the IPB licensing Info
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
use the Software in such as way as to condone or encourage terrorism, promote or provide pirated Software, or any other form of illegal or damaging activity[/b]

FLT LNR
26th May 2008, 03:48 AM
forget torrents, and buy a premium rapidshare account.

constant, unwavering high speeds. the files come in 100mb pieces but you can grab like 5 at once. on my internet spec thats often 5 zipped pieces going at 130kb p/s + simultaneously.... so grabbing a movie at 650+ kb p/s is normal.......

its not P2P, as in you don't have to worry about 'seeds' or 'leeches'.... not to mention the legal heat surrounding P2P clients getting done. mate of mine got a letter from his ISP about universal studios wanting his ass on a plate....

the files,( and they have everything ), are stored on their mainframe, basically it's acres of hard drive. ( 4.5 Petabytes and counting) the loophole is it's supposedly a private way of sharing files. as backed up by the site not having a search engine.
There are ways of course to beat that. rlslog.net has every new game and movie, and the rapidshare links are in the comments for each download. there's also rapidshareking.com, which is essentially a search engine for this 'private' everest of files.

I'm not sure if you can buy monthly accounts, but if you do, you'll never go back.

an entire year is something like 90 bucks. my net is nothing extreme (8.5mbps) and rapidshare has made
torrents look like 56k mp3 downloads in 1998.

great to be able to download a movie faster than it takes to drive to video ezy and back (less than 6kms away)

so....... farking....... good.

riojin
26th May 2008, 10:01 AM
i use utorrent and www.demonoid.com (small community, invites only) and http://thepiratebay.org/ when i really need something.

ive been using torrents for the better part of 5 years now. can't beat them

verm69
26th May 2008, 12:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ May 26 2008, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=536726)</div>
i use utorrent and www.demonoid.com (small community, invites only) and http://thepiratebay.org/ when i really need something.

ive been using torrents for the better part of 5 years now. can't beat them[/b]

EXACTLY what i use...

monkae86
26th May 2008, 12:30 PM
i use a mate of mine...

so many people download shit these days, u don't even have to waist your downloads, just ask someone else for the file.

Driftspec
26th May 2008, 01:31 PM
'Tis bordering on what can and can't be said... lol

Torrent are used in all sorts of ways, mainly (surpisingly) for legit use (free file sharing, backing up company data, etc), so I'll talk about them in the legal way ;)

Make sure you use a good torrent program - nothing beats either uTorrent or, my personal favourite, Azureus. The others are just not configurable enough to get the best results possible, both for speed and sharing. Check out the Azureus wiki to get a better idea of what I'm on about, and to get a better idea of how to make your client run better: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Azureus_FAQ

EDIT:

And remember:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9549/1193281993090tc8.png

Toy-Yoda
26th May 2008, 03:32 PM
Make sure you have a good (read: Not cheap shit) router, cheap crap routers tend to only have a small NAT table and shit themselves under heavy torrent traffic........

Klutch
26th May 2008, 04:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jdm_dreamr @ May 26 2008, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=536709)</div>

constant, unwavering high speeds. the files come in 100mb pieces but you can grab like 5 at once. on my internet spec thats often 5 zipped pieces going at 130kb p/s + simultaneously.... so grabbing a movie at 650+ kb p/s is normal.......

its not P2P, as in you don't have to worry about 'seeds' or 'leeches'.... not to mention the legal heat surrounding P2P clients getting done. mate of mine got a letter from his ISP about universal studios wanting his ass on a plate....

the files,( and they have everything ), are stored on their mainframe, basically it's acres of hard drive. ( 4.5 Petabytes and counting) the loophole is it's supposedly a private way of sharing files. as backed up by the site not having a search engine.
There are ways of course to beat that. rlslog.net has every new game and movie, and the rapidshare links are in the comments for each download. there's also rapidshareking.com, which is essentially a search engine for this 'private' everest of files.

I'm not sure if you can buy monthly accounts, but if you do, you'll never go back.

an entire year is something like 90 bucks. my net is nothing extreme (8.5mbps) and rapidshare has made

great to be able to download a movie faster than it takes to drive to video ezy and back (less than 6kms away)

so....... farking....... good.[/b]
That might be true for a slow internet connection...

Downloading a whole album in 5 minutes, or a whole movies in 30 minutes FTW
It really depends on if you have a good torrent or not. No seeds? Slow download.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
not to mention the legal heat surrounding P2P clients getting done. mate of mine got a letter from his ISP about universal studios wanting his ass on a plate....[/b]
You realise your ISP can see what you download, and from where, right?
Will they ever look? Doubt it

blair
26th May 2008, 04:18 PM
i fucking hate the new azureus.
bullshit "popular" videos and channels and crap

annoying more than anything...

munt
26th May 2008, 04:30 PM
what i do (which would be frowned upon by most) is pause all torrents and then unpause only the torrent(s) I'm downloading. it always gets my speed up

Klutch
26th May 2008, 04:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munt @ May 26 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=536863)</div>
what i do (which would be frowned upon by most) is pause all torrents and then unpause only the torrent(s) I'm downloading. it always gets my speed up[/b]
And this...is why i use private torrent sites, so idiots like you get banned.

munt
26th May 2008, 05:31 PM
And This.. is why i use public torrent sites, so i wont get banned ;)

SHIFTY5
26th May 2008, 05:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jdm_dreamr @ May 26 2008, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=536709)</div>

so....... farking....... good.[/b]

+1

i have a rapid share account and it is fucken awesome, i also got a program called flashget and u an download multiple rapidshare links at a time and is soo much easier than torrents.

i have also come across a forum called http://forumw.org. has anything on it, movies,tv shows,music, e books all sorts of shit. you have to make an account but it takes like 2 minutes.

also for all the people on the forums into hardcore and metal

use these links, best sites i have discovered.

http://byfn.blogspot.com/

http://goodnoisycore.blogspot.com/

http://disv3.blogspot.com/

and for all the people who like hip hop these is pretty good.

http://hhborg.blogspot.com/

http://thehiphopcollection.blogspot.com/

cheers jordan

DavisJD
26th May 2008, 08:36 PM
Great info in here.

I use Azereus as well, my router is shit, and doesn't allow port forwarding. And its the only Torrent program that can get my download speeds up.

Only problem with Azereus is that it's a resource whore, if you have an old pc, it really slows it down when it's open.

Apart from that, I have a friend with a 100TB server full of movies, tv shows, games etc. Only problem is a TB of data takes about 2 days to transfer onto a portable HD!

Driftspec
26th May 2008, 08:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blair @ May 26 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=536859)</div>
i fucking hate the new azureus.
bullshit "popular" videos and channels and crap

annoying more than anything...[/b]

Switch to classic view only, thats what 75% of users do, to save the crap that they put up there

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toy-Yoda @ May 26 2008, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=536842)</div>
Make sure you have a good (read: Not cheap shit) router, cheap crap routers tend to only have a small NAT table and shit themselves under heavy torrent traffic........[/b]

QFT

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munt @ May 26 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=536863)</div>
what i do (which would be frowned upon by most) is pause all torrents and then unpause only the torrent(s) I'm downloading. it always gets my speed up[/b]

If you set your total upload speed to about 40 - 50% of your total upload speed (eg 256k upload speed, set torrent upload speed to ~= 10KB/s), then you will find, especially if there are a few seeders but not a great deal, that you will be sharing data that the seeder has, thus preferring to send you data, increasing your overall speed for that torrent. Thats the design of torrents, if you share, you win :)

paulie
29th May 2008, 06:22 PM
props to ke sev for those HxC links... Epic find!

DavisJD
9th June 2008, 10:20 PM
bump, deserves to be on the first page for useful sites and info.

Forum W is great, I'm thinking I need myself a Rapidshare account

marvis
10th June 2008, 12:52 AM
Azureus is shit and a resource whore.

uTorrent FTW.

DavisJD
12th June 2008, 05:57 PM
Thought Id add to this, RapidShare is fairly easy to use free, it tracks you via your IP, so resetting your IP will allow you to download a new file straight away rater than waiting. Downside is you have to to every file manually rather than set and forget.

I just turn my modem on and off to do this, there are a few methods out there though if this doesn't work for you. You must have a dynamic IP though, not a static one.

Wally
12th June 2008, 06:51 PM
www.torrentz.com as a search engine...

usually get trackers from thepiratebay if listed on what I want.

Whats your connection speed?

I download at about 430kb/s

Bitcomet 0.62 ftw, rapes everyone. Though has been banned from some private sites for this.

Wally
12th June 2008, 06:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DavisJD @ May 26 2008, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=537021)</div>
Great info in here.

I use Azereus as well, my router is shit, and doesn't allow port forwarding. And its the only Torrent program that can get my download speeds up.

Only problem with Azereus is that it's a resource whore, if you have an old pc, it really slows it down when it's open.

Apart from that, I have a friend with a 100TB server full of movies, tv shows, games etc. Only problem is a TB of data takes about 2 days to transfer onto a portable HD![/b]

100TB :/ i find that hard to believe.

I know a bloke that has 13tb in one pc and has basically everything decent.

I myself have 2.5tb and i have a crap load of stuff... many linux freeware iso's thats is ;)

upgrading after my snow trip with an extra 4x1TB in RAID 5 which will set me up for a long time. :)

Either way 100TB is ridiculous, and I doubt that can be right.

Edit: wtf would you transfer to a portable! just plug a hdd into his server and copy from hdd to hdd :) so much quicker.

DavisJD
12th June 2008, 09:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WaLLY @ Jun 12 2008, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=545099)</div>
100TB :/ i find that hard to believe.

I know a bloke that has 13tb in one pc and has basically everything decent.

I myself have 2.5tb and i have a crap load of stuff... many linux freeware iso's thats is ;)

upgrading after my snow trip with an extra 4x1TB in RAID 5 which will set me up for a long time. :)

Either way 100TB is ridiculous, and I doubt that can be right.

Edit: wtf would you transfer to a portable! just plug a hdd into his server and copy from hdd to hdd :) so much quicker.[/b]

Nah it is 100TB, its in a shared house with 4-5 people constantly downloading to it. The advantage of the portable hard drive is if your travelling, you can plug it into any PC to watch things. Not everyone wants to be pulling apart a PC or laptop just to watch some movies.

I'm only downloading at 170kbps. Capped ADSL, can't get the ADSL2 at my house yet. And havent really found anything decent via Sattelite.

Wally
12th June 2008, 09:48 PM
100tb.
If he was to buy that today it would be 100x 1tb hdds (smallest number of drives).

100x $209 (samsung 1tb)

=$20900 just on harddrives and then the sever to run it would be something mammoth as well.

PICS OR BAN! :D