PDA

View Full Version : Celica diff with factory LSD

insane
27th May 2008, 06:43 PM
Hey guys. I have done an ra40 celica diff conversion. I have used the entire diff housing and everything. Will a second hand JDM center fit in without cutting axles? Was just not sure as some say the they are wider and then they aren't... some put celica axles into JDM housings, some say they hit.... I'm all confused... JDM diff center into RA40 diff housing....

Please help! Travis

gumbie
27th May 2008, 09:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ May 27 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=537452)</div>
Hey guys. I have done an ra40 celica diff conversion. I have used the entire diff housing and everything. Will a second hand JDM center fit in without cutting axles? Was just not sure as some say the they are wider and then they aren't... some put celica axles into JDM housings, some say they hit.... I'm all confused... JDM diff center into RA40 diff housing....

Please help! Travis[/b]

The JDM centre will only fit if it is the early model (zenki) one. I am 99% sure that when you fit a LSD into a non LSD housing you have to cut the axles down by about 10mm each. Just cut the ends off them with a grinder should be fine then file the sharp edges down so the splines resemble what they were originally.

Gilly
28th May 2008, 12:06 AM
a zenki (early) centre will bolt in fine

you only cut down RA axles when you use them in the narrower T18 or zenki JDM AE86 T series diffs

you shall have no need to cut axles just swap the centres

insane
28th May 2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks Gilly. I Thought that might be the case. So the Ra 40 dif's really are wider...

Jonny Rochester
28th May 2008, 07:33 PM
If you use a factory Toyota LSD, from a early AE86 or TE71, and you are putting this in a complete RA40 rear end, you may have to grind the axles 5mm shorter.

I say this because I know you do have to do this with a AE86 when you use a Toyota LSD in a car that wasn't originaly LSD. (The factory LSD axles are shorter).

But if you are using a TRD brand LSD, you will not have to cut the axles.

Since TRD or aftermarket LSDs are more common than factory Toyota LSDs amoung second hand gear in Australia, we don't see this problem very often.