PDA

View Full Version : is this a big port

Corolla86
27th May 2008, 08:30 PM
hey guys just want to make sure this is a big port bottom end if photo don't help is there another way cheers

rthy
27th May 2008, 08:32 PM
smallport or according to some people a later model bigport

edit: it also has a 212mm flywheel which only smallports/20v engines had

Corolla86
27th May 2008, 08:35 PM
so i have just wasted my money buying a bigport tvis complete motor :verymad: thanks sam do you know what head will go on this if its not a gze one

Shahzan
27th May 2008, 08:39 PM
anything from a 3Ac to a 20V, all the same

so I don't think you have wasted the money. Whats was your original plan exactly?

Corolla86
27th May 2008, 08:44 PM
sam i owe you some beers, well bought car with motor in it incomplete it had two heads as parts with all diff manifolds wiring etc i wanted to put the supercharger on it that i have posted in the for sale section but now going turbo, the heads i have are incomplete so useless. I bought a complete bigport tvis motor, but that motor has dissy i have coil packs so i am lossed big time

rthy
27th May 2008, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't give up yet if I were you, for a start you have yourself a 212mm flywheel which give a bit more grip for the same rating of pressure plate and unless I am mistaken you just need to take the dizzy out and slot the crank angle sensor in to run your coil packs. The heads might still be good for spare parts so don't check them yet.
So any rods or pistons in that block? it obviously has a crank.

Corolla86
27th May 2008, 08:54 PM
yeah bottom end complete, i have pistons getting measured up for a good set of rings, got big ends and mains and thrust bearings etc just bought a acl race series gaskit kit but got told to get trd instead, bore is perfect it has oil squirters and a new fly wheel with brand new 5 puk exedy clutch.

4door
27th May 2008, 08:56 PM
oh cool !! u have 7 rib block..

good choice.... do not think u have wasted money.

rthy
27th May 2008, 08:59 PM
I agree!!

use that block and chuck on whatever head you have thats complete. Also greenline or kyouteki will be able to help you out with a 0.8mm trd head gasket if you want it.

Corolla86
27th May 2008, 09:04 PM
who are those people, how do i look them up and sam do you know anyone that wires them up with aftermarket computers etc got told by a mate that these computers crap themselves cause of a bad solenoid

rthy
27th May 2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.greenline.jp/

As for the ecu, it depends on the model and where you located (would be good if you could you fill in your profile). I have no idea what your friend is talking about.

Nikkojoe
27th May 2008, 10:09 PM
Looks like an ae101 gze knock sensor on there :)

rthy
27th May 2008, 10:11 PM
ok time to take a picture of one of those pistons I think

Golberg
27th May 2008, 11:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the main functional difference in the blocks between the original (bigport) 4AGZE which came in an MR2 and any other is that they have a lower compression ratio than any other.

rthy
27th May 2008, 11:32 PM
well I don't know what came out in what, but a ZE bigport is 8:1 and the smallport is 8.9:1

Gilly
28th May 2008, 12:01 AM
in regards to the ECU i believe its capacitors that leak and damage the circuit board that your friend would be talking about. not the end of the world, just the ECU. not a good enough reason to ditch it though, you can actually get them capacitors replaced cheaply if you are really concerned, i can't remember the branding of the suspect ones but toymods has an article on it i'm sure.

you have the best bottom end you can get IMO, as Sam suggested fit up whatever complete head you have and it'll all work out :)

verm69
28th May 2008, 12:01 PM
greenline are awesome. i got my TRD gasket through them

Slap a 20v head on it, custom plenum and turbo and you'll have a sweet 4ag powahhh house!

but the 16v head will probably be easier as you can get the RWD inlet mani's for them...

and like sam said, all the blocks are pretty much the same, except for the number of ribs and what in side them, but small port, big port or 20v head will fit on! :2thumbs:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ May 27 2008, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=537702)</div>
you have the best bottom end you can get IMO, as Sam suggested fit up whatever complete head you have and it'll all work out :)[/b]

+1

you didn't waste your money dude :2thumbs: