PDA

View Full Version : Offset and Me.

lo_rolla
28th May 2008, 09:39 PM
Sup.
Over the years I've learnt many things about cars. But the biggest thing I know about now is motors, so I don't need to ask too many questions on the general workings of such matters.
Where I am still slow how ever is in the workings of other parts of the car. (most of it)

My car originally had SSR Star Formula Mesh 14x7 and 14x7.5'' wheels with 185/60/14 (some one might be able to clear that up for me... I lent some one my rear wheels and I don't know where they are now, they were on Nates gold ke70 last time I saw them).. The offset for these is what ever fills out standard gaurds, I'm not sure, it had rubbed off the wheels.

Any ways one of the defects I got was for not enough tyre to arch clearance (I stand by the fact he had fat fingers), so now I have 30mm+ up front and will have 30 to 35mm flares out the back.

What offset should I be looking at now in a 14 or 15 by 8, 8.5 or 9" wheel?

Thanks to you fantastic lads in advance,
Damien.

ke70dave
28th May 2008, 10:06 PM
well on the back of my ke70, i had 14x8 zero offset, and it sat perfectly on the guards, had to roll them a little bit, but no pushing the guard further out

so my thought is that if you have +30mm extra space on the guards, then you should be looking for 14x8 -30mm?

same deal on the front as well for me.

lo_rolla
29th May 2008, 07:38 PM
I see, I see.

Either way I look at it though, I'm looking at some thing stupidly expensive right? Ahh well. It just means one less night out on the town with some hooke... umm, my friends.

kaibeecee
29th May 2008, 07:57 PM
if youre 'lacking' in the offset department, invest in longer studs, that way you could always pursuade the wheel out with spacers.

that is if you want to use them for legal reasons.

aside from that, any 15 x 8 -7 or less will fill guards well enough

Bobomacho
30th May 2008, 12:55 AM
+30 bolt on spacers will give you that extra -30 you require without modification

should be able to pick up a pair at most 150 bucks

Vezza
30th May 2008, 03:01 AM
Just make sure you get hub centric spacers or, hub centric rings... otherwise chances of having your wheels fall off are pretty good. Especially if you are running such large spacers. In fact it surprises me how many people run after market wheels without hub centric rings!

DAMO46
30th May 2008, 03:17 AM
never heard of it?
can you go a little indepth about hub centric rings

zed x
1st June 2008, 11:49 PM
don't they fill out the hole in the middle of the rim so it sits flush on ya hub?

Vezza
2nd June 2008, 12:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (damo46 @ May 30 2008, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=538671)</div>
never heard of it?
can you go a little indepth about hub centric rings[/b]

I guess that kinda proves my point, lol. Basically hub centric means that the hole in the centre of the wheel is exactly the same diametre as the hub. So when you put your wheels on, the wheel actually rests on your hub, instead of the studs taking the load. All OEM wheels are hub centric as they are specifically designed to fit the vehicle. If you buy aftermarket wheels, the diametre of the hole will usually be much larger so it can fit a variety of cars. You can fix this by buying hub centric rings which are made from either plastic or alloy which simply fill the space between the wheel hole and hub. If you buy spacers which are specifically made for your car then they will already be hub centric and won't need the rings.... but almost all spacers are generic.

Is that any clearer?

blair
2nd June 2008, 02:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaibeecee @ May 29 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=538490)</div>
if youre 'lacking' in the offset department, invest in longer studs, that way you could always pursuade the wheel out with spacers.

that is if you want to use them for legal reasons.

aside from that, any 15 x 8 -7 or less will fill guards well enough[/b]

I'm not sure you read his post..

you don't need longer wheel studs for spacers...
you can just get bolt on spacers

and 15 x 8 -7 will look crap (he said his guards are 30-35mm wider)

find some 14 x 9 -18.

lo_rolla
2nd June 2008, 07:08 PM
^^ You're the boss.

Sakura's mayhaps??

Konakid
2nd June 2008, 07:52 PM
15x8.5J -15 fronts (if control arms are standard)
15x9J -15 to -20 rears

With 30mm wider guards all round will fill out the guards nicely but i think you have got the wrong idea of 'tyre to arch clearance'.

If you get wheels to fill out wider guards properly, you will have probably less 'tyre to arch' clearance than you did previously. You will only have more clearance if you leave the same wheels on with the wider guards which will look unbelievably gay as the wheels will be sunk so far into the guards.

Defects suck a dick but its the price you pay to have a good looking car.

Wheels these sizes will be about $2000+ for a set but good wheels do cost money. Lots of it.

lo_rolla
2nd June 2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah I realise about the clearance. I'll prob just go get it engineered with my SSR's on then just keep 'em for Skids and shit.

Konakid
2nd June 2008, 08:03 PM
Thats the best way to go about it man, lucky bastards with your cheap as chips engineering...