PDA

View Full Version : Best ecu for a n/a 16v

eightsixboy
30th May 2008, 01:57 PM
The time has come for me to get a aftermarket ecu and can't really decide what to get, there's alot out there. I'm just gonna be running cams, itbs and the standard coil for now.

The haltech e8 seems pretty good, has full sequential injection which the e6x doesn't have, can support msd ignition etc.

Where as with microtech there a fair bit cheaper and a mate from work swears by them, but i know nothing really about them, they must be cheaper for a reason?

What do you guys use? I've heard ems and autronic meantioned on the forums a few times.

At the end of the day i want something that isn't a prick to set up and can be tuned easily anhave decent backup support.

DRFTPG
30th May 2008, 02:04 PM
microtec's are really easy to wire up i know that much...iv seen a fair few decent results with them. have you considereed an adaptronic...i know ant from kazien garage swears buy them and he ran one in his 3sge hachi. maybe send him a pm n I'm sure he would steer you in the right direction

SpotterOne
30th May 2008, 03:20 PM
The best ECU is the one that your local trusted tuner knows how to operate best. There is no point buying a top-of-the-line Motec if all your tuner knows is Microtech. Most of the advanced functions will be wasted, and it will be less than ideal.

For a N/A 4AGE, virtually any computer will make it run, but the important things to look out for are number of points in the mapping matrix, and ability to control cold start enrichment.

When I changed to ITB's and big cams, the number of points on the map became critical. Better ECU's allow individual tuning at 500rpm and 10% throttle increments. My cam/intake trumpet length combination put a resonance at 5500rpm and WOT that needed a heap of fuel to be taken out at that point, and 500rpm each side. If the computer didn't have that sort of resolution, I wouldn't have been able to tune it out.

The other thing is that some computers are easier to use than others. In conjunction with a good quality Air/Fuel meter (WB02 for instance), I can now confidently tune the car myself on the road.

I don't know how much extra power all this has made because I haven't taken it to a dyno, but after quite a number of track days and supersprints, the car is still making lots of power and is seriously fast!

eightsixboy
30th May 2008, 04:04 PM
Ok thnx, i will ring and find some different tuners and see what they say too. I was always planning on getting an decent ecu with alot of mapping points so i could fine tune it.

510lj
31st May 2008, 10:39 AM
again go to whoever is going to do the tuning and see what they no best, microtechs are good computers, i run one in my drag car and does exactley what i need it to do, i mean most 8/9 sec rotors run microtechs so can't say they don't work.
in my experience microtechs are easier to wire up then haltechs, but like was said before no point in buying a 3grand motec when no one can tune it.

eightsixboy
31st May 2008, 11:36 AM
Good point.

Andor
31st May 2008, 12:25 PM
Look into adaptronic. Everyone who uses them recomends them.

reuben
31st May 2008, 01:45 PM
I got a Adaptronic from Kaizen garage in my 20v corolla and i am rapt.Have the loom made by Anthony at the same time and you can't go wrong.don't let your dad hook it up(3 people will get that joke).I have huge power gain,smooth idle and still get similar economy to my brothers stock civic if i don't hammer it.Brad.