PDA

View Full Version : SR-5 motor = vacuum clusterf**k

Nox
31st May 2008, 10:30 AM
hi guys, I'm new, so please go and check out my first post over in general discussion. It'll explain a little bit about me and my car, and my intentions for it. I'd like the people who have approximately five brain cells and a "4-age" tattoo on their dick, and who are about to go apeshit on me for buying an sr-5 to know that I knew what I was getting into, and yes, I'm fine with that.

My primary concern with the vehicle project right now is to get the motor running in a condition to which it is drivable, untill I can do the swap--It feels like I'm close (but, on this motor, that's probably just a lie and a tease). It FEELS/ acts like it has insufficient fuel...Like a starvation / vacuum leak.

After I run my various other tests on the motor to see if I have good compression (pretty sure I do, seeing as how it was running fine for a good while, till it overheated on a "Spirited" run), power, and vacuum in the right places, I'm hoping to do away with the carburetor, and everything that has to do with a wire around it.

Too many things on this F**king motor are controlled by vacuum. It's increadible, actually--I've never seen such a cluster of vacuum hoses coming from one component. My question is...If I was (and, I'll have you know at this point that I have not looked into this yet to determine how difficult it is, or for that matter possible, so please, if this idea I have IS in fact, not feasible, just let me know) could I replace this bullsh*t carburetor with another one (webber?), attatch the minimal amount of vacuum lines and cables to it to run effectively, and remove the friggin' computers and electrical emission bull that was attatched to it.

So...Any thoughts? :blink:

biggo
31st May 2008, 11:10 AM
wrong section

FYI you have a 4ac not an SR-5 motor

rthy
31st May 2008, 11:20 AM
i guess ur better off buy a working motor already?
check club4g

Nox
31st May 2008, 11:23 AM
OH....Oops..Srry about the section. :(

I saw technical articles and figured it would fit here. Sorry.

But, Isn't an SR-5's motor a 4-ac? I have an SR-5 badge on my car...And a 4-ac sticker on my motor :unsure:

dctrd
31st May 2008, 02:29 PM
If you can get a hold of a manifold and carb combo that'll bolt up, it shouldn't be a problem. You said you had an SR-5, so i'm guessing you live in the states. In which case Paradise Racing (http://www.paradiseracing.com/carbs.htm) might be worth alook, they have a carb and adapter package available for the 4AC.

Before you do that though, check your compression and everything else. If you cooked it on a 'spirited' drive, you may have cracked or warped the head.
If it isn't running properly, check for split lines or some that might have dropped off.

Personally, i'd put the money towards the twin cam conversion. Why power up the carby motor if you're only going to rip it out in a few months?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nox @ May 31 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=539202)</div>
But, Isn't an SR-5's motor a 4-ac? I have an SR-5 badge on my car...And a 4-ac sticker on my motor :unsure:[/b]

Yep, it is. Australian AE86's weren't badged as SR-5, so saying 'sr-5 engine' on this forum sounds weird to people.

Beserker99
7th June 2008, 10:20 PM
He must be from America...or something.

4door
7th June 2008, 10:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beserker99 @ Jun 7 2008, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=542890)</div>
He must be from America...or something.[/b]
keke

Nox
9th June 2008, 11:01 PM
Yeehawz. I speak american. :sweat: Srry.

ae71
10th June 2008, 09:11 PM
hey bud,

those b.s. vacuum lines are for the emissions controls.

i think they are needed to make it run properly with the stock carby.

i upgraded to a weber and got rid of almost all of it.

there is a pipe that gose from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold, i made a small alloy plate to block it off (this is the exhaust gas recurlation mine was gunked up anyway) i left it there so you can't tell its not actually connected.

i ripped off all the little black pipes. i then bolted the weber on with an adaptor, connected the fuel lines and accelerator. i had to modify the accelerator cable bracket. i put a small filter over the vent in the top of the rocker cover so it dosent shoot oil into the air filter. the only little black pipe you have to connect is the one from the side of the carby to the distributor.