View Full Version : car over heating.. help

egg_83
10th May 2009, 12:00 PM
So i pulled the thermostat out thinking it wasn't opening to discover it has totally fallen apart.

So since its fallen apart what are the chances of the bits blocking the water galleries? Im guessing high but please make me feel better

If it is blocked how would i clear the blockage?

What would make the water heat up so quick if its not blocked and no thermostat? Gets quite hot in 5-10min and only started happening last monday. Used to run nice and cool.

Also what way does the water flow in the radiator? from top -> bottom or bottom -> top

thanks

Nikkojoe
10th May 2009, 03:39 PM
I would flush the engine out as much as possible, then get your radiator checked out (or rodded) or borrow a known working one.

To really clear the blockage (if in engine) would be to pull it down. Would first check out all the main water bits such as smaller bypass pipes (ones on side of block) and make sure they are clear, make sure the water pump is ok and clear etc. Once they are out of the question change radiator as said before and then test it out. If still no good then you need to dig deeper and start pulling the engine appart (head off for a start).

Water flow in radiator is top to bottom.

egg_83
10th May 2009, 03:52 PM
I would flush the engine out as much as possible, then get your radiator checked out (or rodded) or borrow a known working one.

To really clear the blockage (if in engine) would be to pull it down. Would first check out all the main water bits such as smaller bypass pipes (ones on side of block) and make sure they are clear, make sure the water pump is ok and clear etc. Once they are out of the question change radiator as said before and then test it out. If still no good then you need to dig deeper and start pulling the engine appart (head off for a start).

Water flow in radiator is top to bottom.

Thanks Nikkojoe, Ill dig deeper.:( The thermostat shouldn't have gone through the engine as the 3t thermo is before the rad should only be on the top lucky

mack 10
10th May 2009, 10:14 PM
Are u sure the thermostat wasnt previously removed?

egg_83
11th May 2009, 06:02 PM
i wouldnt think so, as it was still in there but was only the frame of it

Marco
11th May 2009, 06:18 PM
^well if it used o run cool all the time chances are previous owner may have thought he was a way good mechanic and cut the insides out. have you checked for signs of a blown headgasket? were you just driving normally when this happened?

egg_83
11th May 2009, 09:09 PM
^well if it used o run cool all the time chances are previous owner may have thought he was a way good mechanic and cut the insides out. have you checked for signs of a blown headgasket? were you just driving normally when this happened?

Just normal driving its onlt a 3t so dont want to do anything major to it