PDA

View Full Version : Whining Diff!!!

Ksevn-T
3rd June 2008, 12:49 AM
hello,

How do you get rid of whining in your diff? Its realy starting to get to me as ive been doing a fair bit of highway driving. Is it as simple as pulling it apart and putting new oil in it or something? Or do you have to get a whole new diff, excluding whine? Also how difficult is it to weld a diff? anyone got any pics?

Much appreciated,

Alex

Javal
3rd June 2008, 12:57 AM
Check how much oil is in there first.

It may be worth putting some thicker oil in there.

Welding a diff isn't hard.

If it's a borg-warner style (removable backing plate) then just pull off the backing plate, (oil will come out, how a pan ready), then get as much weld as you can on the spider gears (the inspection hole isn't very big). do NOT weld the crown wheel and pinion. That's just dumb.

If it's a toyota diff, then pop out your axles (can be stubborn :(), drop your diff oil, unbolt your tailshaft, unbolt your center and slide it out. Once again, weld up your spider gears, it'll be alot easier than on a borg warner. Be careful not to get any weld over where the axles slide in, or else you'll never fit them back in!

federal
3rd June 2008, 01:26 AM
wack a banana skin into the diff...that should shut it up...

driftke70
3rd June 2008, 01:27 AM
put a banana in it

tetsujin
3rd June 2008, 02:30 AM
is the bananna a joke?

My diff is whinning bad, I presume its a case of new bearings etc?

Ksevn-T
3rd June 2008, 02:38 AM
Please, Serious answers!

Thanks Javal,

Anyone else got some more opinion for me that doesn't include putting a banana in my diff, id like to get rid of the whining.

Robo86
3rd June 2008, 08:42 AM
there not joking about banna. honestly

federal
3rd June 2008, 12:56 PM
the banana works

verm69
3rd June 2008, 01:43 PM
no seriously... banana...

taken from http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/trek/4wd/nukes_diffs.htm

"The THM (Take-Home-Message) is to use the right oil for the job - sperm whale oil for nukes, and whatever the manufacturer recommends for your diff, transfer case and gearbox. Save the banana skins for the emergency repair when you don't have any oil at all.

Copyright © Karl S. Kruszelnicki 1999 "

driftke70
3rd June 2008, 06:43 PM
you could rebuild it, i heard when stuff isnt working like it should, it usually means its broken,
what would make a diff whine, the gears not meshing properly
what would make the gears not mesh properly
flogged bearings, improper alignment etc etc.

Ksevn-T
4th June 2008, 02:04 AM
Thanks driftke70

Banana's do work, but temporarily.

balistic
4th June 2008, 10:10 AM
:lol: bananas used to be the dodgy trick you used to quiet a noisy diff when your trying to sell a car - its not a fix to the problem.

Ksevn-T
4th June 2008, 11:50 AM
Exactly 'highlife'

verm69
4th June 2008, 01:31 PM
just like turning the radio up... that'll fix it ;)

if you want a REAL fix... take it to a diff shop and get it rebuilt like driftke70 said

lowau
4th June 2008, 02:37 PM
What type of diff is it?

Its really not worth rebuilding a borg out of a KE70 or an S series, just use a replacement center from the wreakers or get yourself a T series.

driftke70
4th June 2008, 08:01 PM
even a relatively healthy borgie will have a whine

Ksevn-T
4th June 2008, 11:53 PM
Yeh, its a stock borg. Will probs pull it apart and put new oil in it and whilst i have the center out ill weld it. Would a T series bolt straight on to my stock e70 tail shaft? also where can i find a t-series?

verm69
5th June 2008, 06:06 PM
most common place to get a t-series diff is from a T-18 corolla... or you can get them from a supra... i can't remember what year the model was though..

pebbles
5th June 2008, 06:07 PM
you need the rear half of a tailshaft from a t18, and u can find the t series from the t18 aswell

verm69
5th June 2008, 06:10 PM
echo echo echo lol

Ksevn-T
6th June 2008, 02:17 AM
Too bad theres no T18's around here, being wrecked!

Javal
6th June 2008, 03:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeRm69 @ Jun 5 2008, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=541890)</div>
most common place to get a t-series diff is from a T-18 corolla... or you can get them from a supra... i can't remember what year the model was though..[/b]

Errr.

The T-series diff was never in the supra. Maybe MA40 celica-supra. Maybe.

You can find a T-series in:

TA2x Celica
RA2x Celica
RA4x Celica
RT13x Corona

The mounts won't line up on any of these though

TE72 Corolla / T-18 will bolt straight in. Providing you use an AE86 front half tailshaft and the TE72 rear.

Sherlock
6th June 2008, 03:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ksevn-T @ Jun 6 2008, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=542133)</div>
Too bad theres no T18's around here, being wrecked![/b]

*sigh* they've all been raped, everywhere around Australia.

SpotterOne
6th June 2008, 10:37 AM
Is it whining all the time, or only under power?

If its happening all the time, or over a certain speed regardless of throttle position, it will most likely be your axle bearings. Cheap to fix.

If its happening only when you are on the throttle and disappears when you lift, it will most likely be your crownwheel/pinion. Pull the center out and get someone to fit a new one for you.