PDA

View Full Version : 1GGZE starter motor on a 4age

20v ae71
10th May 2009, 05:06 PM
I've seen this pop up a few times while reading about 4age/ae86 buildups and was wondering what the point of using them was?
Is it better/faster cranking for higher compression engines or something?
And do they sound any different?

Matt-AE86
11th May 2009, 12:58 AM
sound like wipper snippers with a side of larry king

Delazy
12th May 2009, 12:13 PM
I've seen this pop up a few times while reading about 4age/ae86 buildups and was wondering what the point of using them was?
Is it better/faster cranking for higher compression engines or something?
And do they sound any different?

1watt reduction starter...needs a spacer tho...

there is a 0.8, 0.9 and 1 watt reduction starter available from a ae92 that is bolt up :thumbup:

Anthony
12th May 2009, 12:18 PM
kilo watt :)

redsprinter
12th May 2009, 12:51 PM
has any body ever thought or seen the starter motor mounted on the other side of the engine ... ????

im using a bellhousing on my w58 to 4age that allows the starter motor to be mounted on either side ... im just not to sure if i mount it on the intake side it will work (spin the right direction )

Delazy
12th May 2009, 01:32 PM
kilo watt :)
:embarassed: thanks for correcting the typo...had only just climbed out of bed! RDO FTW :)

Matt-AE86
12th May 2009, 03:14 PM
has any body ever thought or seen the starter motor mounted on the other side of the engine ... ????

im using a bellhousing on my w58 to 4age that allows the starter motor to be mounted on either side ... im just not to sure if i mount it on the intake side it will work (spin the right direction )

YES. 20V IS LIKE THIS FROM FACTORY FWD. DO IT.. DO IT.. DO IT.. ITS GOOD WHEN YOU HAVE TURBO.

I just felt like caps.

also the 1G starter motor adapters are available on yahoo. peace out from a brother from another mother.

redsprinter
12th May 2009, 04:14 PM
thanks matt.

and the idea came up beacuse my starter motor shit itself due to the heat off the turbo and exhaust ...

Matt-AE86
12th May 2009, 06:07 PM
yer, get a 20v starter motor :)

driftke70
12th May 2009, 06:31 PM
im just not to sure if i mount it on the intake side it will work (spin the right direction )

dude....

thats why you flip it over when you move it across,

Matt-AE86
13th May 2009, 04:51 PM
Actually not sure if your bell housing with accomidate the elongated hole on the 20v starter motor. you can just do as driftke70 has said, flip it around.

redsprinter
13th May 2009, 05:03 PM
what do you guys mean by flipping it??? .. .like when the starter is on the exhaust side ,the heat shield is facing against the exhaust manifold . but when moving it to the intake the heat shield will be facing the block

driftke70
13th May 2009, 05:29 PM
obviously the solenoid will be facing out which ever side you put it on, it can only face one way on either side.

Matt-AE86
15th May 2009, 11:31 AM
Take the starter motor of the motor. Hold it in your hand in the position you took it out of. So the solenoid should be up on the top right, pointing to the outfield like babe ruth.

Then grab the starter motor and do a full 180 degree barrel roll to the left.

you have officially "flipped" your started motor to use it on the intake side.

By these powers combined you are captian flip-it.