PDA

View Full Version : how many coil packs do i have ?

zed x
5th June 2008, 07:11 PM
do i have 2 or 4 lol ?

Nikkojoe
5th June 2008, 07:17 PM
2 coils

Wiring diagram for ya tacho:
[attachment=26637:twincoilfix5oh.gif]

Note, this means you do not need to modify your cluster ;)

zed x
5th June 2008, 07:27 PM
o ok thanks heaps dude!!!
few questions but

would this work the same for a mircotech
whats 'diode Twatt in4004' mean?
whats zener diode 15v in4/44' mean?

and when its shows the wores coming out of the coil packs, would theese be the red and black wire i see in my picture under the coil packs?

Nikkojoe
5th June 2008, 07:32 PM
lol it says 1 watt not Twatt ahahahahahahaha

They are diode part numbers you look for when you buy them from dick smith or the like. It should work for anything as you are taking the signal off each coil and not the microtech.

zed x
5th June 2008, 07:40 PM
o lol ok :confused:

um yeah so i dunno if u saw the question down the bottom, about the were to conect the lil circut upto the coil packs, cause atm I'm guess the red and black wire under the coil packs yeah?

also - could you confirm that the tacho wire is the same colour as the diagram describes it? ive looked nnear the passenger kick panel but its bloody overwhelming lol. and were would the wire be if it isnt connected to the morco tech - jsut hanging fowl somewhere behind the dash?

Nikkojoe
5th June 2008, 07:46 PM
Its actually black with brown spots, not red. You really wont find much of those coloured wires (except the one tacho) in that wiring box (and yes its there). It will also be going into your engine bay aswell so that gives you another idea how to locate it.

I don't know if that is your signal to the coils, could just be giving power to them.... Get a multimeter and start checking...

zed x
5th June 2008, 07:57 PM
ok thanks heaps man!!!!!!!!
what am i looking for on the multimedia? do i jsut check for 12volts going to them? cause if i do how do u know the diff between thm and the the wires giving them power...

Nikkojoe
5th June 2008, 08:16 PM
They might get 12V on ignition, if that is so they probably wont be the signal wires.

You might have to see how the coil gets its signal (stock setup gets it from the igniter).

zed x
6th June 2008, 06:19 PM
hey - jsut wondering if these are the wires off the coil i need to wire into to get the tacho working.
the fiirst to picks is so you can get a general idea of what angle the cameras at - the 2nd pic with my hand is where abouts the camera was...

also in the last 2 pics - is this the tacho wire (black wire with brown spots) - lol jsut thought id be 100% ...

Nikkojoe
6th June 2008, 10:25 PM
As said, one will be power to coil (+ve). Most likely it will be the wire with the red on it for that coil, so the other coil should have that same wire as power as well. Just make sure with a multimeter that it gets 12V on ignition. The other wire should be the (-ve) signal so tap into those bottom wires for each coil signal (just strip the shielding back a tad and solder a wire off each, then follow the wiring diagram i posted above).

And yes, that looks like the tacho wire to me ;)

Sherlock
6th June 2008, 11:53 PM
Yo #109, instead of making a few threads, just edit your original post and ask different questions within the thread, saves spamming it up ;)

zed x
13th June 2008, 05:48 PM
ok well i made the wiring up with the resistors and what not but nothing happened.
i then tried to test the tacho wire to see iif it was the actuall tacho wire and still nothing...

is there a way to test if a tacho is working.. like get it to move by putting a current into the tacho wire.. i put the tacho wire on the battery and nothing happened...??????

Nikkojoe
14th June 2008, 07:51 PM
did you wire the diodes the right way around?

zed x
15th June 2008, 03:52 PM
ok. well got it working!!!

but now the problem is when i rev my car to 5000rpm the tacho bounces back to 0 then presumes with showing revs... until i take it to 5000rpm where it once again bounces back to 0 etc etc

when the tacho bounnces back to 0 though i can hear a click(like a circuit braker) around the ecu area... not sure what it is bbut I'm pretty sure its the cause of the tacho bouncing to 0 when it goes to 5000rpm. any ideas on how to fix it?