PDA

View Full Version : what 4age do i have?

510lj
8th June 2008, 02:45 PM
Hey everyone one, mate of mine has just bought a 4age out of another mates car, but on removing the engine, we found a oil drain in the bottom of the sump on the exhaust side?
the engine is in na form not sure wether it had a afm (was all gone by the time we got to it) we were under the impression that it was a 100kw engine because thats what the previous owner said was put in it but no thinking it maybe a gze block, and it also runs a redicullous amount of timing.
it doesnt have individual coils but it has some weird heat sheild over the distributor, the oil drain doesnt look like its been put in the sump its there by a bango bolt and washer setup, so we're left confussed on this one as i don't know enough about the 4age's to determine what it actually is so if anyone could help me out or if theres anywere i can give the engine numbers and get a reading would be awesome, and if this is just a smallport would it be a better block to use to turbo or just a standard 7 rib block without the oil drain?.
Cheers Stefan.

Jonny Rochester
8th June 2008, 03:05 PM
The hole in the sump on the exhaust side (which has a thread for a banjo bolt and fitting) is for the oil cooler return. Maybe you are missing the factory oil cooler sandwich plate which looks like this:
... can't find it.

But this does not narrow donw what motor you have. Except that is it a 16v.

SNAP
8th June 2008, 03:11 PM
Dude Your best bet is to post a pic.

Heat shield on the dizzy, my JDM 4a has one, looking at thd dizzy wont help u determine what motor you have because it could have been changed, Gze Runs a Crank angle sensor anyway, Pics r good! :2thumbs:

Have you comp tested the motor yet? Might give u a roungh idea, not sure what the comp ratio of the GZE is compared to NA but it may help, comp reading for a decent condition NA should be around 180psi,

If its got any oil drain or feeds it should be a GZE block

Nikkojoe
8th June 2008, 04:29 PM
AFAIK all adm 4age's run an oil cooler with oil return fitting on the sump. JDM 4ages (including jdm ae82 FX-GT) never had a hole in sump for oil cooler return.

The dizzy seems ae82/92 with the heat shield, I'm pretty sure aw11 4agze's did not use a heat shield. AW11 gze's did use a distributor and coil, where as ae92 onwards used a CAS (cam angle sensor).

The only NA 4age with afm was from an aw11 afiak. I think its just an ae82 bigport or ae92 small port. Has it got Tvis on the intake manifold?

510lj
8th June 2008, 05:04 PM
no tvis i know its a small port just didnt know what series, but doing some research ive found somewhere saying it may be an extra overflow for extra oilsquirters for the pistons or something? only asking the question becasue he has that and another 7 rib block that was given to him with out the oil return and just wanted to know whether there would be a difference in the block as to one being better to build as a turbo block?