PDA

View Full Version : Driveline Issues

Loopy
8th June 2008, 11:01 PM
Hey!

I have a 85 ADM Sprinter with a 4age bigport in it, just purchased it recently. The gearbox was on its way out when i purchased it and is noisey as heck through all gears except 4th.
Just the otherday was taking it for a small drive and it started making a metal on metal type clanging noise from around the gearbox/clutch area, it can be hear best at idle. When the clutch is compressed
the noise is gone. My personal feeling was that maybe its the throwout bearing? With the gearbox coming out being replaced, shall i jus replace the clutch assy n hope that fixes the issue?

Any input that anyone has that knows something about this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks (in advance)

Any recommendations on a clutch? I am just planning to use it as a track car , it has full exhaust, coilovers, jdm intake mani, big aftermarket fuel pump, pod air filter basic mods not massive power.

I am just putting in another t50 as money is tight!

Cheers

rthy
8th June 2008, 11:16 PM
oh crap, you might want to attend to that real quick if you want to keep your clutch

I think its your thrust bearing and if ignored it can potentiall kill your clutch

I will find a picture for you

rthy
8th June 2008, 11:27 PM
found it:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p143/daunderdweller/other%20stuff/deadclutch1.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p143/daunderdweller/other%20stuff/deadclutch2.jpg

one seized bearing, a melted exedy and a slave cylender that was slightly too long (out of an ae82)

Loopy
9th June 2008, 12:28 AM
Oh wow, thanks for your post, i thought it sounded quite serious, gah! so i spose it be an idea to get a new clutch slave cyl aswell? I couldnt imagine it would be doing any good for the clutch. I could hear a strange whirring noise before, and then this happened. So yeh it makes sence to be the thrust bearing i think :)

rthy
9th June 2008, 10:18 AM
you do need to do something, get under your car somehow and see if there is a gap between the end of the clutch slave rod and the fork. If it is lightly pushing all the time and there is no gap then you have a problem and you will be heading down the same road as me. In my ignormanc I fitted an ae82 slave in an emergecy and then I left it there for a whole year till this happened, it was later I found out they are about 3mm longer.

af300e
9th June 2008, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure how you can have a gap between the slave rod and the fork, my slave piston has a spring behind it to ensure the rod is always against the fork. I assume this is to prevent it from missing the fork as you hit bumps and such.

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying.

You say it makes a clanging noise that goes away when you press the clutch pedal. Sounds to me as though the thrust bearing is just floating around on the fork and occasionally hitting the pressure plate fingers.

Either way, you need to check it out, drop the tranny and have a look.

rthy
9th June 2008, 01:39 PM
ok let me rephrase it, when the clutch isnt pressed you should be able to wiggle the pushrod around. If it is tight aginst the fork you have a problem

AO86
9th June 2008, 01:55 PM
just pull it out the damage will be obvious
with out more information we can't tell u much
just take a pic of the clutch with gearbox out
enough said

af300e
9th June 2008, 03:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Jun 9 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=543423)</div>
ok let me rephrase it, when the clutch isnt pressed you should be able to wiggle the pushrod around. If it is tight aginst the fork you have a problem[/b]

Fair enough. If it's too tight it probably means that the pushrod is too long and that the clutch is constantly slightly open.

The clanging noise to me suggests that the thrust bearing is not seated against the pressure plate fingers when the clutch is closed. Maybe the spring in your slave has broken and is not taking up the slack? Instead of splitting the tranny, maybe just pull off the slave and make sure the pushrod is properly loaded.

Loopy
9th June 2008, 04:37 PM
i will be tackling this issue sometime this week hopefully, will let ya's know what the deal was! Thanks for your posts/replies will definately take your advice on board! :)

Cheers!