PDA

View Full Version : need a few things cleared up

yoshimitsu9
10th June 2008, 10:32 PM
hey guys,

just need to clear a few things up so that i can make correct adjustments to my 4age.

how do i check error codes? do i need a special diagnostic tool? the reason i ask is because after studying the repair manual it says you can check the error codes by bridging the 2 pins (e1 and t) and it goes on to say that it will be displayed through the check engine light... my guage cluster doesnt have a check engine light :unsure: so is there another way around it?

what can people recommend to me to correctly bleed the coolant system of any air bubbles? i beleive it is the cause of my hunting issue which indicates that there is a air bubble in the coolant system that aggrevates the water temp sensor at the back of the head. also the hunting goes away after i turn on the heater too, which is another nail in the coffin for this myth :P

setting the timing too, will setting the timing at 16 degrees make the ecu think its at 10 degrees? or again it MUST have the diagnosis pins bridged?

any info in helping me solve my problems is much much much appreciated

cheers in advance,

stefan

rthy
10th June 2008, 11:30 PM
you can do the checks with basic tools, I don't even have a diagnostic connector in my loom and I assume not many people do anymore either. Now just find those two wires coming off the ecu that are intended for the check light and then install a 12V globe in there. Then just bridge the diagnostic to an earth wire.

You do need the ecu bridged to do the timing.

Bobomacho
11th June 2008, 12:03 AM
i spose the most sure way to bleed a cooling system is to backbleed it, which is you first ensure the heater is turned all the way to hot, take off one of the heater hoses and put a funnel on it and fill it till a steady stream is present from the bypass housing.

then you would jack the front of the car up quite high and put a funnel on the radiator top. fill the level of coolant halfway up the funnel to ensure it is the absolute highest point. then run the engine until the thermostat opens up and then the thermofans turn on. when the thermofans turn off, turn off the car and fill as required to the top of the radiator and put the radiator cap back on. fill the overflow bottle to the specified level. lower the car and let sit for 40 minutes. as the coolant contracts it will pull through any tiny air bubbles in the system which i doubt there would be any. fill the coolant reservoir to the max. the end

if problems persist see your doctor

ke70dave
11th June 2008, 12:04 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yoshimitsu9 @ Jun 10 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=544194)</div>
what can people recommend to me to correctly bleed the coolant system of any air bubbles? i beleive it is the cause of my hunting issue which indicates that there is a air bubble in the coolant system that aggrevates the water temp sensor at the back of the head. also the hunting goes away after i turn on the heater too, which is another nail in the coffin for this myth :P[/b]

ive never had any dramas with air bubbles, but what i usually do is as follows:

after draining out all the coolant, for whatever reason, with everything hooked up like its supposed to be:

-poor in coolant in the radiator (with engine off of course) untill you can't poor any more.
-start car, and keep radiator cap open, also put the heater on for good measure.
-allow engine to heat up, and watch for the thermostat opening
-as the thermostat opens generally the level in the radiator drops a bit (from my experience)
-fill it back up (with engine still running) and you should be able to see the water rushing through the radiator.
-now put the cap on, drive it around for a bit, trip to the shops perhaps.

come back, allow everything to cool down (so you don't blow your head off with hot water) and check radiator level, top up if necessary.

another thing i usually do as well, is with the radiator cap off, give the radiator hoses some squeezes with your hand, gets rid of some bubbles sometimes too.

rthy
11th June 2008, 07:54 AM
I avoid cooling system air locks by filling my car up while it is on a very steep upward angle, seems to work for me

yoshimitsu9
11th June 2008, 10:23 PM
weird advancement with my hunting issues...

engine hunts with only standard computer connected

doesnt hunt when diagnosis plug is bridged

doesnt hunt when greddy emanage is connected

anyone got any clues as to what this could mean? stuffed MAP sensor?

rthy
11th June 2008, 10:28 PM
hmm, did you connect a test globe?

if so does it report any faults?

yoshimitsu9
11th June 2008, 11:01 PM
nah not yet, i will have to do some wiring diagram studying to figure that one out. ill report that back when ive figured it all out