PDA

View Full Version : ae71 struts!!

Cerby
11th June 2008, 12:27 AM
Just a quick question. Is ae71 front brakes and struts the same as ae86. Would ae86 brakes fit the ae71 strut?
Cheers
Cerby

Javal
11th June 2008, 12:31 AM
no and no

aaron_drift
11th June 2008, 12:32 AM
Hey mate,

from what i know, ur best bet is to get hold of an 86 setup it will bolt straight in.

U want the 86 strut so u can run coilovers and camber tops.

So if you see 86 brake and bottom strut buy it. Get some coilovers and your all sweet.

Just in case u didn't know, sigma control arms or RA40 arms bolt in too.

And while ur at it, get some 86 power steering arms.

Someone on here may be able to shed more light. But i briefly had a 71, and a good mate of mine owns a driftspec 71 and he bought all 86 front gear and bolted it.

A 71 is just a cheap 86, but with four doors.

Cheers

Aaron.

P.S don't waste ur time with the 71 brakes and suspension. 86 all the way.

Javal
11th June 2008, 12:42 AM
Ok, to put some 'why you should do these things' behind aaron_drifts post -

The main reason people upgrade to AE86 struts isn't because you can coilover them. you can coilover any macpherson strut. Unless it's made of cheese. People upgrade to the AE86 strut because it is larger diameter tube - and there is a much, much wider variety of shocks available for them. Monroes simply don't cut it. Also there are a lot of springs off the shelf for the AE86 strut, but not the AE71, although they do sort of fit. Sort of.

XT130 Lower control arms, RA40 LCA's, Sigma LCA's can all be used with any xE7x strut. XT130 is reccomended. Sigma is just dumb. Camber tops can also be used with any xE7x strut.

The AE86 strut also offers more potential for brake upgrades.
JDM Vented discs and Calipers are the easiest one, with FC RX-7 brakes a step up from there. The standard ADM sprinter brakes are an improvement over AE71 brakes, if only for the range of pads available for them.

Basically - Go AE86 strut. The benefits are many, the price, not so much considering what kind of doors your opening for yourself and your car.

aaron_drift
11th June 2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks,

Oh u forgot to mention RCA's Javal.

Javal
11th June 2008, 12:46 AM
I forgot to mention a thousand things, i'm tired and going to bed :)

I'll write up something decent tomorrow.

ke70dave
11th June 2008, 12:46 AM
DAMNIT!!! javal beat me to it, serve me right for brushing my teeth mid post...oh well ill just leave it there now

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aaron_drift @ Jun 11 2008, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=544265)</div>
Hey mate,

from what i know, ur best bet is to get hold of an 86 setup it will bolt straight in.

U want the 86 strut so u can run coilovers and camber tops.

So if you see 86 brake and bottom strut buy it. Get some coilovers and your all sweet.

Just in case u didn't know, sigma control arms or RA40 arms bolt in too.

And while ur at it, get some 86 power steering arms.

Someone on here may be able to shed more light. But i briefly had a 71, and a good mate of mine owns a driftspec 71 and he bought all 86 front gear and bolted it.

A 71 is just a cheap 86, but with four doors.

Cheers

Aaron.

P.S don't waste ur time with the 71 brakes and suspension. 86 all the way.[/b]

just to clear things up

you actually want 86 struts so you can run the higher diameter shock absorber instert (good quality short stroke ones, see sponsors) as well as the possible jdm brake upgrade available.

you can make coilovers out of any shock tube, and you can bolt camber tops to the top of "most" struts..

if you don't want bigger brakes (or looking at something custom in the future) ive heard a rumour that ke30/ke55 struts are the same internal diameter as ae86 struts. allowing you to run the better shock insert, but youll have to use your current brakes. ***possibly wrong, more reasearch in the morning****

if you are going to buy "complete coilovers" you don't need the stocko struts at all, just the steering arms to bolt them to.

ae86 non powersteering arms are needed to bolt in ae86 struts, but i don't belive they are of any advantage over ke70 items (cept you need them to bolt in) you want to get powersteering arms (once again see sponsors) to get that extra steering lock we all love.

there is a multitude of options out there, just read around at what others are doing.

aaron_drift
11th June 2008, 12:47 AM
86 struts offer more aftermarket coilover options, thats the simple point i was trying to make.

Javal
11th June 2008, 12:48 AM
EDITED BECAUSE I'M SLOW LIKE MY CAR.

KE30 / KE55 struts are skinny.

Other steering arms can be used on AE86 struts, just not KE70 / AE71 ones ;)

aaron_drifts above statment is correct, however poorly communicated in his first post.

Lets not start a shitfight here gentlemen.

aaron_drift
11th June 2008, 12:49 AM
what other steering arms can u run?

I know u can use ra40 and 86 i didn't know others worked.

aaron_drift
11th June 2008, 12:50 AM
hahahah....

come on javal, it was simple easy to understand. haahahahah :D

Javal
11th June 2008, 12:51 AM
xT13x fit....

that brings me on to an interesting train of thought....

....sleep.

More info in the 'morrow.

Cerby
11th June 2008, 05:52 PM
i have actually owned and modified a ae86 for a while but in a fit of madness i sold it to buy a more comfortable car and, as it turns out, more crashable car!!
Having rediscovered why i hate ff cars, ie the complete inability to power out of accidental slides, i wanted to get back into a rear wheel drive car and since my written off car has a smallport in it i decided to get a rolla!
So yeah i know about all the mods for ae86 front end but just wasn't sure if the struts the were the same and didn't want to waste time buying ae86 struts!
Anywho i'll have to add the struts to the list since i've already picked up some xt130 arms and some camber tops cos i do want to go rx7 calipers with a civic rotor at some point!
Cheers
Cerby

aaron_drift
11th June 2008, 06:09 PM
ic, well then thats good. best of luck and hope the accident wasnt too bad.

Golberg
11th June 2008, 08:17 PM
One thing I'll quickly add, AE71 panel vans have AE86 struts in them from factory. This does not apply to KE70 panel vans though or any other KE70 or AE71.

aaron_drift
11th June 2008, 08:27 PM
Thats interesting, i didn't know that.

Instigator
13th June 2008, 12:10 AM
Why is that sigma lca's are dumb?

Javal
13th June 2008, 12:37 AM
Too much camber.

Late model sigma arms will give around 4.5 degrees negative camber. This is just too much. To put it into perspective -

A V8 Supercar - Big, heavy, rolls around, runs on race slicks. These run around -5 degrees. And -5 degrees is usable in that kind of car, they get the full use out of that much.

A N2 car - Smaller, lighter, full slicks once again. These run around 3.5 to 4 degrees negative camber. Once again this is the amount of camber that will give the best results through the corners.

Now both of these race categories put hundreds of hours of research and development, trials and testing into their suspension. they run what will give them the best results.

On a Street car used for spirited driving I'd recommend between 2 to 2.5 degrees negative camber. this is about the most you will ever use, even if you take it to a circuit. your tires will start slipping causing understeer before you would be able to get any more gain from more neg camber. Corona control arms give you close to this figure. Peoples reports vary, but 1.5 to 2.5 is the ballpark.

The other point is, the more camber you wind in, the more straight line braking you lose. Less tire in contact with the road while going straight ahead, you see.

-On the flip side-

The gain in wheel track to be had from longer control arms, such as sigmas, is excellent. The ideal way to do it, would be to run Sigma LCA's with camber tops. Wind some positive camber into the camber tops to cancel out the stupid amounts of negative camber, and BAM! you have a massive increase in track and ideal camber.

In summary - Rose jointed LCA's + Camber tops > Sigmas + Cambertops > Coronas + Cambertops > Coronas on their own > Sigmas on their own.

Bang for buck it's rebuilt coronas all the way.

Instigator
25th June 2008, 05:56 PM
By rebuilt do you mean new bushes?

Konakid
25th June 2008, 08:02 PM
Yes, and ball joint

Instigator
27th June 2008, 04:20 AM
I'm wanting to go coileves with cambertops in the car.

I am still undecided between XT130 lcas and sigmas.

If you run camber tops are the sigma's then good? and can you run the 86 power steer arms with these for even more lock?

If I'm going camber tops with coilivers then sigmas would be the way to go yeah?

Sorry for all the stupid questions. I'm pretty new to Toyota modiying so just trying to get my head around it all and not buy/do the wrong stuff

Konakid
27th June 2008, 10:33 AM
Nah sigmas are no good, they mess with the steering geometry and can give massive bumpsteer, dangerous in the wet, can't run decent size/neg offset wheels as they will just hang way out the guards etc etc.

I'd just go standard arms or xt130 with camber tops and get your extra track buy getting some wide wheels. Will be sweet.

DRFTPG
27th June 2008, 10:52 AM
and if you can't find 86 struts go ra60 struts and brakes or even t-18....all the same shocks fit and they all bolt pretty much straight in

zed x
27th June 2008, 02:58 PM
do front struts include the axle/wheel stub or whatever its called

ae71
27th June 2008, 03:13 PM
it depends on the sort of tyres as well as to how much camber you want. less with a street tyre, more with a semi/full slick as they are recommended to work best within a range of camber settings.

also having too heavy, or too much offset can also mess up the geometary.

#109: yes the front axle/stub is part of the strut.