PDA

View Full Version : replacing timing belt and (tension) idle pully

scotty1234
11th June 2008, 06:55 AM
hey there i'm in the process of having to change the tenion pully for the timing belt on my 4-ac as it shat it self on the weekend. anyway what i need to know it how to line the cams up with the pistons timing wise it is 1 turn of the pistons to 2 turns of the cams or vise versa or am i totally wrong, we didn't know it was the pully so we tried turning it over a few times so i know the timein will be way out just need some one to tell me how to set it and it should all be sweet.

any help is appreciated

samc
11th June 2008, 10:31 AM
You should get a work shop manual for your car dude. It tells you everything. I have never worked on a 4ac before but this is how you do it for most engines.

First things first, you need to get your TDC (top dead centre) which is pretty much the highest point of the number 1 piston. You achieve this by turning your crank pulley and lining it up on the notch (there should be a little notch in the pulley and a mark on the block near the top of the pulley.

The TDC is only reached on the compression stroke. Two ways you can tell if the 1st piston is coming to the TDC is if you take out the first spark plug, you will hear a hissing sound. The other way is if you take the dizzy cap off the arc should be pointing to the terminal and cable which connects to your first cylinder.

Now you have to line up the notch in the crank pulley and the mark. Now you have the TDC.

!!Also you have to turn the crank pulley twice to get back to where it was before.!!

Now all you have to do is set the cams and put the belt on and do everything back up.

There should be timing marks on the cam pulley. I'm not sure what they are on yours but the cam one should have a few notches and there should be a zero in the middle. Set it back to zero again (before you take the belt off you should always look to see where it is at TDC before you take the belt off.)

There you go mate, good luck.