PDA

View Full Version : Identify these pistons!

ke70dave
11th June 2008, 10:20 PM
hey folks, after some smart answers from a smart bunch of fellas!

basically i bought these pistons from a guy on here a fair while ago, basically i don't know anything about them, and I'm thinking of selling and not sure what they are! brand etc.

i was told they were "brand new small port pistons"

i have measured the pin and its definatly 20mm--> one point to those who guessed small port pistons.

numbers engraved on the top are

11-660-01 0T
STD

here are some pics

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/171456.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/171457.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/171458.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/171459.jpg

any ideas from those in the know?

rthy
11th June 2008, 10:23 PM
smallport pistons - 10.3:1

edit: taking a wild guess here and say I don't they are OEM, that casting looks quite rough and I don't think the factory pistons have that pointy bit off the top.

Maybe ACL?

ke70dave
11th June 2008, 10:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Jun 11 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=544669)</div>
Maybe ACL?[/b]

ive had 2 suggestions of ACL, they any better/different to standard OEM ones?

rthy
12th June 2008, 12:12 AM
thats a really good question and its something I have looked into because they were somewhat compatable for my engine build. One person said he kept of having pistons break and another reported that the thermal expansion is uneven and not as good as factory.

So whats the story with these anyway? do you own them and want to use them?

quadeyquade
12th June 2008, 12:25 AM
they are metal pistons

ke70dave
12th June 2008, 12:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Jun 11 2008, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=544744)</div>
thats a really good question and its something I have looked into because they were somewhat compatable for my engine build. One person said he kept of having pistons break and another reported that the thermal expansion is uneven and not as good as factory.

So whats the story with these anyway? do you own them and want to use them?[/b]

i own them, sitting right here, shinyest and cleanest thing on my desk.

ive had them a while, was going to build up my 7 rib block/16V head combo.

ive never really known much about them, just snapped them up quick when they were forsale a while ago, and they been sitting in my garage since they arrived in the mail.

theres no markings on the box it came in or anything, so just trying to get an idea on what they are.

weather they are good ones, standard ones, something fancy, worth while, i dunno!

looks like I'm selling all my collected parts, to buy a half cut... so figured i should work out if its worth hanging onto them, and also work out what they are worth and be able to tell potential buyers what they are!

samuek
12th June 2008, 12:49 AM
they look limillar to GZE pistons, but the gze only have small indents in them (less compression)

i would have thought small port pistons would have more angle on them than those in the picture ???

ke70dave
12th June 2008, 12:58 AM
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~eireae86/tech/engine%20buildup/13%20Piston%20and%20con%20rod%20front%2013.jpg

these are apprently 4agze pistons from an ae101, look like they got much smaller dents in them compared to the ones up the top.

rthy
12th June 2008, 01:02 AM
nah they all have 50 degree indents

rthy
12th June 2008, 01:18 AM
yes htey very much look like smallport ZE pistons. I beleive that they appear to have smaller indents because the ZE pistons are dead flat unlike these pistons that have a raised section all round.

af300e
12th June 2008, 08:24 AM
Those ZE pistons def look like 8.9:1 ratio pistons. The 8:1 pistons have only the smallest flycutting.

biggo
12th June 2008, 12:16 PM
They don't look like any gze pistons ive ever seen. So ill say smallport GE pistons.

70XIN
12th June 2008, 12:23 PM
I'd say aftermarket (but still "standard") smallport GE pistons

Like the ones you can buy from remanufacturers/ebay/etc

ke70dave
12th June 2008, 12:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggo @ Jun 12 2008, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=544903)</div>
They don't look like any gze pistons ive ever seen. So ill say smallport GE pistons.[/b]

thanks for all the reply's guys!

I'm aware they are small port pistons, but I'm trying to work out what brand they are etc. and if they are any good. Or just run of the mill standard dealeos.

anyone know if theres a way of telling?

biggo
12th June 2008, 04:19 PM
toyota part numbers don't occur on aftermarket pistons do they?

I remember an old toymods thread had piston part numbers, pretty sure it was on toymods.org.....

rthy
12th June 2008, 05:37 PM
well if the casting quality is anything to go by I would say their suss, but you never know. Hey type those identification numbers into whatever search engine you use and see if you find a hit

af300e
12th June 2008, 06:55 PM
Don't original pistons have "CR" or some such stamped into the crown?

I agree with same, casting looks a bit "how you goin'".

ke70dave
12th June 2008, 07:12 PM
yeah i just went and compared them to some 20V ones i have, 20V ones are way smoother and nicer looking.

might take these down to the engine builders around here, see what they reckon

biggo
13th June 2008, 12:06 AM
Yes, toyota have AB,CD or something else stamped on them.

And yes i agree, that casting is terrible. Have you tried the search engine?

ke70dave
13th June 2008, 12:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggo @ Jun 12 2008, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=545330)</div>
Yes, toyota have AB,CD or something else stamped on them.

And yes i agree, that casting is terrible. Have you tried the search engine?[/b]

yeah ive punched in any numbers i could find into google, found some weird stuff..but no pistons.

i found a list of part numbers for gze pistons, and they didnt look anything like the numbers ive got either.

I am yet to find any part numbers for small port pistons, but i don't imagine the form of the part number is any different to the gze ones, just different numbers.

kinda stumped, don't really want to put them in an engine if they arent good, but they are brand new, so surely they can't be that bad....right? :unsure:

biggo
13th June 2008, 12:17 AM
Ive heard (and seen) brand new ACL flat tops burn/melt on a stock setup. And they had a wayyy better face than them

hears a quick test, smack them with something hard and see if it leaves a mark. eg, new rings can scratch stockos

Sprinter86
13th June 2008, 03:32 PM
Theyre not standard smallport GE pistons because the middle bit isnt raised,
i've got mine in my hand and the large flat section on the top is raised higher than the rest of the piston.
Iv'e been told its like this to help it get to 10.3 CR?
no idea what yours are though! =(

rileymoore05
15th June 2008, 08:12 PM
they are not genuine toyota pistions. they are small port, but not out of a N.A motor as they have a raised section in the crown for the higher C/R
id say they are small port ZE pistons, the higher of the two C/R's (can't rember what they are off the top of my head) but id say they are ACL.
as far as I'm aware, there is not many companys that would make a 4AGZE pitstion that is designed for a standard replacement (rather an a upgraded type)
in othe words, i doubt they are arias, wiseco, ect...
hope this helps..

johnocarbone
16th June 2008, 07:36 AM
How about early AE92 9.4:1 pistons for 7 rib T-vis engine.