PDA

View Full Version : Radiator to suit 4AGE

PULSE
12th June 2008, 02:27 AM
Hey guys, I'm currently putting a 4AGE into my TA22 Celica, and I'm starting to think about radiators. I was going to just use the stock TA22 one with some bodged up hoses to connect it all up, but I would prefer something with the outlets in the right positions for a cleaner look. I was just wondering what radiators have people put into their 4AGE powered cars, that have the outlets in the correct position so that hoses don't need to be modified. Basic dimensions would be much appreciated if anyone can be bothered measuring/has them on hand.

Also, I have another question but its not worth starting another thread. I would like to know what parts from a 4AC can be used on a 4AGE. Mainly wanting to know whether clutch + flywheel, and starter motor will swap over.

Cheers,
Matt

rthy
12th June 2008, 07:54 AM
proving the radiaor support/bonnet isnt any lower al the sprinter gear should fit so...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...showtopic=32720 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=32720)

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/faq/inde...4age/hyundairad (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/faq/index.php/BY_ENGINE/4age/hyundairad)

as for the 4ac crap: engine mounts and possibly the cooling system parts, there was a thread on this recently.

PULSE
12th June 2008, 11:47 AM
So I take it the starter and clutch don't swap over then? I thought the block on the 4AC was the same as the 4AGE hence why I thought these bits might swap over. I've searched but I haven't had much luck finding the info I'm after.

I don't really want to go the hyundai rad as the main reason I want to change radiators is so that the outlets are in the correct position, so I can have clean unjoined hoses. Would anyone be able to give me a quick outside measurement of the sprinter radiator so I can see if it might fit.

Cheers, Matt

Javal
12th June 2008, 12:10 PM
590mm side to side
480mm from bottom of bottom mount to radiator cap
65mm deep.

Sprinter86
12th June 2008, 05:12 PM
Got a hyandai rad in my AE86, works great and looks the part, RWD 4ac starter is fine, use thermostat housing and pipes from FWD 4ac, works and looks good. use 4age flywheel and clutch. thats what i did and its all fine!!
I'd recommend getting a new starter for the motor, the gear reduction type preferably, as the starter will get so much hotter next to the exhaust on a 4age than it ever did in a 4ac, starters hate heat, especially old ones. mine took one day to stop working after conversion.

PULSE
13th June 2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.

Well I compared your measurements against the ones I've taken from my car and it seems that the 86 rad won't fit. Well it might just but it would take up space I need for other things and be a pain in the ass to mount.

I'll look into the hyundai rad more.

Can you still buy starters from toyota/auto parts stores? Roughly how much would I be looking at before I head down there.

Cheers, Matt

rthy
13th June 2008, 12:31 AM
no you can't but they are common.

Now for some shameless self promtion: I have 4 for sale for $25 each

also do me a favor and fill out your location in your profile options

Javal
13th June 2008, 12:42 AM
He's in Lilydale Vic. Or close to it.

Get your engine today mate?

rthy
13th June 2008, 12:44 AM
whose engine?

Javal
13th June 2008, 12:46 AM
I was asking pulse, sorry i should have said that :P

PULSE
13th June 2008, 01:14 AM
Yes I did mate, very pleased that its finally here! Thanks for all the stuffing around you guys did, it was a bit dissapointing that it took so long but I'm happy you guys sorted it out for me and its here now!

Sam_Q - Are they the "gear reduction" type? If so consider it sold. Oh and I added the location to my profile.

rthy
13th June 2008, 01:29 AM
ok thanks for filling that out, the reason I asked as its possible to give more specific help if people know where your based

as for the starters they arnt gear reduction, they are much harder to come by

PULSE
13th June 2008, 01:51 AM
Sorry for the noobness but what is the benefit of gear reduction. I don't know what it is at all, so what benefit would I have using a gear reduction starter over one of the ones you have for sale? I'll probably grab one of your starters regardless as I don't have time to wait for one of these gear reduction ones if they are hard to come by.

Also, not trying to be annoying, but how come you don't have your location filled out?

Cheers, Matt

rthy
13th June 2008, 02:06 AM
wtf!? although ironic I didnt even notice that it wasnt showing up. I did have my profile filed out and I am going to redo it, thanks for pointing it out

as for gear reduction starters the torque increase from the drive being gearded down, this allows the motor to be smaller and lighter. Imagine towing in a car in first gear compared to third.

biggo
13th June 2008, 02:07 AM
because he owns VIC and no one can touch him!

Gear reduction starters work less for the same effect.

rthy
13th June 2008, 02:12 AM
hahahaha, yeah right! more like the most mismatched coloured 86 in Vic!

Profile fixed, beats me how it was deleted in the first place but yeah.

Matt, just send me a PM if you want to see a picture of the starters I have laying around.

Sprinter86
13th June 2008, 09:46 AM
Yes you can definatly buy 4ac RWD gear reduction starters. I used to work at an auto electricians and i got mine at cost....can't remember how much tho, like 120 maybe?
If your interested in getting a gear reduction type i can organise that for you no problem.
At a guess you might be looking at 180-200. Just let me know.
Lilydale aye? me too =D

PULSE
13th June 2008, 03:40 PM
sprinter86 - I'm doing this on a budget so I'll just go with the normal starter but thanks for the offer.

Sam_Q - Yeah I'll grab one off you for $25 don't need to see a pic just give me the best one you've got :P If its cool for me to pickup then pm me your address and mob number and we'll organise a time. Saturday might be convenient for me?

Cheers, Matt

Sprinter86
13th June 2008, 03:54 PM
No Probs :D