PDA

View Full Version : braces

xdanielx
13th June 2008, 06:39 PM
Hey guys

I'm in Sydney and looking at gettin braces(for my teeth not my car haha)

anyone had/got them, know of somewhere good to go

rough plrices and what not

will be spending alot of my tax money on these and then paying the rest of them off

any help would be great...

Daniel

mc68
13th June 2008, 11:19 PM
i had em for 3 years, was supposed to be 1...i was young so my parents paid for them. all i can say is, wear your plate afterwards!...i stopped wearing mine after about a month and you can see where my teeth shifted!

from what i gather mine were around $4-5k with the constant visits! (my teeth were fucked)

Fozz
13th June 2008, 11:55 PM
i thought braces werent cool?

EMD-KE70
14th June 2008, 02:26 AM
I have braces...I'm 20, and I seriously don't mind them.
I don't pay for them though so I'm lucky.
Should be coming off in a few months, hopefully before schedule.
Get them.

xdanielx
14th June 2008, 08:58 AM
My dad could never afford them for me when i was young, but i can afford them now so i will get them

johl
14th June 2008, 12:58 PM
man up and get gold fronts. lol

yoshimitsu9
14th June 2008, 08:43 PM
+1000000000000000000 for wearing the plate thing after

my stupid orthodontist gave me this stupid mouth guard thing that i was meant to wear to school and shit, it was literally a mouthguard with top and bottom mouldings of how my teeth would be perfect. i pretty much refused to wear it it was that rediculous and now my teeth are out of alignment and fucked

though my circumstances were a bit different, had a major accident fucking up all my teeth and it was get braces or they would fall out

so if u get a plate wear it!

xdanielx
14th June 2008, 09:09 PM
ok note to self after braces off, wear the plate lol

riojin
14th June 2008, 09:53 PM
i had a bad experience with braces. i had them for 2 and a half years. my teeth were perfect appart from one totally fucked up one to the left of my two front teeth. i got that tooth removed when i was 16 and then got braces put on. the braces were used to close the gap.

i suggested to just get a fake tooth put in its place but my orthodontist suggested braces (because if i got a fake it could have been done by a normal dentist and he would have lost business). my parents listened to him so on the braces went. after 6 months the gap was filled but my teeth werent straight anymore. instead of just moving the ones behind the removed tooth gap forward it moved my two front teeth to the left. my orthodontist tried and tried for the next 2 years to straighten things out but it didnt work. eventually he just gave up and said "thatll do" and just took my braces off and gave me a plate.

i was told to wear the plate constantly for 6 months night and day and to only take it out when i was eating. i did so. everyone told me you have to wear your plate or your teeth will move back. my teeth moved back anyway even though i was wearing the plate. they remoulded the plate. my dentist was constantly saying "you havent been wearing your plate" even though i was! pissed me off so much. after 6 months he said i only had to wear the plate at night time, i still wore it constantly. i did so for 6 months and still i got his "you havent been wearing your plate".

after 12 months of wearing my plate constantly my teeth had straightened themselves out (they recentred themselves). i stopped ging to my orthodontist because he was a fucking idiot who didnt know what he was doing. the gap where my tooth was taken out is now back, it isnt completely back to the same size it was but i am waiting for it to be so. its a slow process allowing it to move back but its getting there. as soon as it gets big enough I'm getting a fake put in for 2 grand.

my braces cost my parents 6 grand and didnt work. a fake tooth would have cost 2 grand and worked.

be careful what orthodontist you choose! consider all options first.

xdanielx
15th June 2008, 12:07 AM
thanks for the heads up mate, I want to suss a few places over the next 3 weeks..

any sugestions?

Beams
15th June 2008, 07:23 PM
20 now and 1 more year with braces.

Parents couldn't afford them either when I was younger (private primary and private high school for me and my younger brother), so when I could I did.

Just to give you a bit of an idea, for me, its about $250 a month with something like a $1500 deposit.

Ask your friends for their orthodontist, I m basically going to the one around 6 of my friends went too, so pretty reputable.

starni_boy
15th June 2008, 09:18 PM
Had them for 2 years, got them off already!

I managed to break mine heaps of times, Smashed all my front top ones off on my bike, in which they saved my teeth from the damage, however, the bottom ones pierced directly through my bottom lip, with blood everywhere. Got a few stitches, got the braces fixed and all was good.

Mine were $5500 from memory, they arent cheap! You live near me, I recommend going to Micheal Dineen at Engadine, Miranda and Hurstville (He rotates practices through the week, all of them are his). He also has a few other people working with him also, so you might want to check them out too.

Dish
16th June 2008, 06:00 PM
Was suposed to have mine for 2 years ended up getting them off after 18months. Depending on how arse raped and out of line your teeth are the more it'll fucking hurt the first week. Best thing I ever did was bite the fuck out of an apple the first few days of having them, hardens the gums and you can start to eat normally again. Beware of the stuck food, pain in the arse.

I now wear a little wire on the inside of my bottom teeth, it's permanent. I couldn't stand wearing my retainers/plate. So they just put in the wire in the bottom and the tops have shifted a little but not much.

I'm not in Sydney so I can't suggest any for there, but for anyone elses benefit. Peter Grant Orthodontics at Beenleigh, fucking champion fella. Wasn't too over-priced either as far as I remember.

Edit: If you do get them, buy bulk nurofen, you'll need it for the first week or two.