PDA

View Full Version : 4agze to 4agte

luke keen
11th May 2009, 10:50 PM
I own a ae86 4agze and just starting 2 buy inlet mainifold, turbo mainfold and turbo just wondering if any one has tips in the process of change over its a map sensor'd 4agze will i get away without having 2 change the ecu and is there any big wiring changes that need 2 be done thanks

Intense
12th May 2009, 04:18 AM
I met a guy at a cruise down here who had a 4agze with a t28 hanging off the side and the stock ecu so a standard ecu is definitely do-able

Hokey
12th May 2009, 12:30 PM
after market ecu is desireable but stock will be fun. can't run that much boost on stock ecu though.

Ae86sam
12th May 2009, 12:47 PM
I've done the same thing but i ran an Adaptronic ecu. There cheap enough to run and do 100 times better than a stock ecu.. :)

**Sorry not to really answer your question. Just my experience**

Hen may possibly be a nut
12th May 2009, 06:16 PM
OK, I haven't done this myself, but seen the results a few times.

Just remove SC related stuff, bolt up turbo manifold, turbo and a suitable intake manifold. Sort out intercooler piping. Then the thing should run fine. I've seen it done on stock ECU plenty, and it works. Yes an aftermarket ECU allows tuning for improvements, but the stock one works.

There'll be some vacuum lines that need to be rerouted/sorted out, but they are simple. Only electrical issues I can think of are TPS (which may just need a different plug, but I seem to remember some bigport to smallport TPS change on the NA manifold), and idle control (you can get by without it, use the temp controlled idle valve on the NA manifold or mount the ZE valve somewhere).

Hen

Vance
12th May 2009, 07:02 PM
yes very doable and i suggest everyone with a map 4agze in their car to do so. runs on standard ecu fine. 6psi on a t2 is plenty on a 4ag and i wouldnt run anymore than 8psi unless you have an upgraded driveline.

be careful however how you shift if youre running a t50. a w5x would be the next step to take before an aftermarket ecu.

.ady
13th May 2009, 12:23 AM
beau's done this .. im pretty sure he has ask him :D

reecegze
16th May 2009, 08:58 PM
works great limited to about 12psi tho. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llY4efgJ01k&feature=channel_page

bounceae86
18th May 2009, 11:06 PM
thers a boost cut at about 13psi i think but can be sorted with an fcd

reecegze
18th May 2009, 11:48 PM
maps have a 14.7psi boost cut .. AFM just blow up with unlimited boost

Nic19
12th June 2009, 07:12 PM
where is the best place to get your water and oil feeds and returns? i have a 4age smallport that i am in the process of building up the the part where i have to set up the turbo.
cheers
nic

reecegze
12th June 2009, 07:22 PM
tee into your heater lines if you still got them.. For the oil get a 1/8npt tee and tap into your oil pressure sender

Nic19
12th June 2009, 10:39 PM
i heard its bad to put a tee right on the block as they can vibrate and brake off. also i wanna run a mechanical oil pressure guage.

slide86
12th June 2009, 10:55 PM
yeah its best not to put a T directly onto the block, use braided line with a T in it for the turbo feed.

you will also need to do something about the oil drain from the turbo. the most common is to remove the sump and drill a hole in the side. make sure you dont make this hole too low in the sump, it should be up high.

weld a nut to the sump with the suitable thread to accomodate a fitting to allow you to slide a hose onto it.

ensure you use a LARGE hose that is oil and high temp rated. enzed will have what you need, i remember there is a certain type of hose that is BLUE and fits all the requirements for a turbo drain.

Nic19
12th June 2009, 10:56 PM
can i drain it into the oil cooler return? also would it hurt to run like a double tee to run stock pressure sender and guage?

reecegze
14th June 2009, 02:00 PM
aslong as it below the turbo...I run a relocated oil filter + oil cooler, so i use the 2 ports on the oil filter mount for oil press,oil temp

Mickey H
14th June 2009, 03:53 PM
Kinda related question about ECU's, can I run a 12psi overdrive pulley with my GZE (DLI, so I think it runs a MAP sensor) Using a stock ECU?

Nikkojoe
14th June 2009, 04:07 PM
Kinda related question about ECU's, can I run a 12psi overdrive pulley with my GZE (DLI, so I think it runs a MAP sensor) Using a stock ECU?

Yes you can. The stock 4agze ecu's tend to lean out (more so above 1bar) except for ae101 which fuel cut at levels above 1bar (~14.5-15psi). Honestly though, the boost you make above 11psi tends to be useless meaning you don't gain much top end (if any). You gain much more torque as you make the standard full boost at lower rpm.

DLI came out on early ae92 bigport 4agze and used afm. Check if you have an afm behind your intake filter. The were also used on the later map ae92 and ae101 engines.